The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Has anyone used a rat (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1408 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I know that rats are very intelligent animals and can be trained to do many things. They could easily be taught to pick a card. I was wondering if anyone uses them in their shows
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
749 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've trained rats, but not in my shows (I used to work in a neuroscience lab). You might, however, enjoy this:
http://www.cirquedusewershow.com/
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1408 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That was interesting
top_illusionist
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Unless your style is dark, I find rats to be in poor taste in any magic act. A hamster would be a better option. I had a friend who would perform with two rats in his show until the day one of them got loose in his show and bit a girl in the audience.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
As someone who has owned pet rats; I can attest to their amazing-ness as pets.
I would say that a pet hamster is far more likely to bite than most domestic rats.
If you get a rat very young; they will look at you as their mother..
Mine used to excitedly lick my face when I came home.. they really are just like little dogs
However - there is a downside to rats.. the main thing being their very short life expectancy.
Most are lucky to make it past the 2 - 3 year range.
They can also get depressed if left alone.. they need a lot of attention (they love riding on your shoulder!)
Females are better pets than males.. for shows; I would also recommend females if for no other reason than
The males have hilariously massive.. umm - sacks. Haha... for real though.
Another thing is that almost every rat develops either tumours or a serious respiratory disease called mycoplasma.. which makes it appear
As though they are bleeding from the nose and eyes..
but they are wonderful pets!!
Conus
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of Conus
I saw a couple of kids perform next to an outdoor Café in the street in Mendoza, Argentina. They carried a pigeon and a rat in a knapsack and did tricks for the crowd. When finished, they opened the knapsack and the animals calmly walked back inside.

They were pretty entertaining and got quite a few tips.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2685 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I’ve used Rats before.
Really easily trained, friendly and well behaved.
I think they get a bad rep. Domesticated rats can make great pets and magic assistants.

Here is my Electronic Flash Box using a rat:
https://youtu.be/a8Y0ED8E8e4

P.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Rook
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Rook
Nicely done! I would love to work with rats, but I'm highly allergic to them. One of the reasons I'm no longer in neuroscience Smile

-Roald Dahl
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2685 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks Rook. Smile
I am highly allergic to most cats, so I get where you are coming from. Smile
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2756 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In the Wizards' Journal #18, Spellbinder describes an act ("The Big Cheese") that he used to do with mice. He used puppet mice in the act, which were very realistic, and when he ended the trick, he put them into a little cage which switched them for live mice that the kids in the audience loved to visit after the show and feed bits of cheese. I don't think anyone ever caught on to the fact that he was using mouse puppets.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4926 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Years ago I booked Tom Yurasits for an SAM banquet and he used a large rat in the act. It wasn't received well partly because food was still being served and the other was one of the attendees was deathly afraid of it and it caused quite a disruption. I guess using a rat all depends on the venue
Where the magic begins
Rook
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Dave Scribner wrote:
Years ago I booked Tom Yurasits for an SAM banquet and he used a large rat in the act. It wasn't received well partly because food was still being served and the other was one of the attendees was deathly afraid of it and it caused quite a disruption. I guess using a rat all depends on the venue

Yep, it's for that reason that I always check with the venue beforehand (I often use a snake, which gets similar reactions). When the woman with a bird phobia in the front row reacted strongly to my close-up dove production, it took me by surprise, however.

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7750 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was working the "parlor" in the MAGIC CASTLE, a "few" years ago. (Old Jay Marshall line: "Yes, I've worked the Castle! --and, when I can afford it, I'll work it again!)

I had a dove routine, then. It was a fun routine with two doves produced, with lots of "schtick". (The two doves "did" 8 minutes!)

When the first dove was produced, a man in the second row, screamed, and ducked. I thought he was having a heart attack. He had a bird phobia. I don't remember, whether he left the room! It was 40 years ago!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24011 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I tried using a rat before in my show. I do not like the constant leaning.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:

When the first dove was produced, a man in the second row, screamed, and ducked. I thought he was having a heart attack. He had a bird phobia. I don't remember, whether he left the room! It was 40 years ago!

Yep, since my little experience, I've spoken to a number of people who have or know someone who has a bird phobia. They each blamed Alfred Hitchcock. Similarly,I suspect that Willard has done no favors for rats.

-Roald Dahl
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1408 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I had forgot to check back on this thread. At the time I was planning on using the rat on the streets
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24011 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
I tried using a rat before in my show. I do not like the constant leaning.

Correction:
I tried using a rat before in my show. I do not like the constant "cleaning."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Has anyone used a rat (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL