The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I just learned something really, really cool! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Serious question, no Googling.

Most folks here know that velocity means how fast position changes (i.e., the rate of change of position with respect to time), and acceleration means how fast velocity changes (the rate of change of velocity with respect to time).

For a long while I've known the official name given to the rate of change of acceleration with respect to time; does anyone here know what that's called?

To avoid a spoiler, I'll provisionally call it Fred.

Now the cool one: I just learned that the rate of change of Fred with respect to time has an official name, and I now know what it is! Does anyone here know what that's called?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Someone named Newton's dots, wow. Kelliog's Rice crispies fan?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Someone named Newton's dots, wow. Kelliog's Rice crispies fan?

Unofficially.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I've never checked, but about 40 years ago I was told that da/dt is called "jerk". I am still amused.

I don't recall a name for d (jerk)/dt. Bet it's something graphic like "whip" or "lust".
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, S2000magician wrote:

To avoid a spoiler, I'll provisionally call it Fred.

Now the cool one: I just learned that the rate of change of Fred with respect to time has an official name, and I now know what it is! Does anyone here know what that's called?

I've no idea, but wonder if 'Fred' was a hint. Could the answer be something like 'mercury' or maybe 'mercure'?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, balducci wrote:
I've no idea, but wonder if 'Fred' was a hint.

It wasn't intended to be.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2488 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I do know them both. But given that Physics is my profession I should. They are usually ignored in base level Physics classes due to the requirement of Calculus to get to them. These measurements are vital for high speed travel if you want to ensure the survival of passengers.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
The best part of high speed travel is the danger to passengers.

Weren't you a teenager?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
We call it a turn of foot.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I just learned something really, really cool! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL