The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Shin Lim second passage at Fool Us - Edited ? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
625 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
What, exactly, was in this clip that in any way harmed popular perception of magic?

Well, I would count extensive overuse of two methods quite harmful. My laymen friends reaction to act can be summed up by one comment by a good friend of mine; " Does he really assume people don't realize that he is dragging all those black objects off the table edge".... But of course it is hard for magicians to admit that most laymen CAN THINK!!! Often better than magicians and they can also be polite and not say anything.

J-M

I have a handful of these memories from childhood. I can remember looking around at the other spectators and thinking "I don't think I'm supposed to have seen that" or "why isn't anyone mentioning the [insert gimmick or move here]" and so on and so forth.

To this day I honestly still wonder how many other people catch the stuff I tend to catch.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2043 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I really think that's a matter of poor performances and engagement.

I have 5 distinct memories of watching magic as a kid. 2 of them were terrible performances and I saw everything because I was bored. 1 of them, my only memory is being absolutely terrified the guy on stage was going to kill himself with one of those static/plasma ball things. I was about 7 if I recall correctly.

The two I remember thinking were magical - one was a guy who was producing "Full" cocktails from behind silks, wearing short sleeves. I've been reminded of the guys name a dozen times but I can never remember it. I liked that, because he wasn't just holding cards behind his hands and then showing them - it was actually fun to watch. The other was Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants, which needs no further comment.

The thing that seems to determine whether I, personally, catch the secrets is caring about the show. If I'm engaged and enjoying myself, I miss everything. If I'm bored and not paying attention to what the guy on stage is saying, I see everything.

That probably translates to most audiences, I would think. I've had times when I made what I felt was a major blunder, which I could tell flew right by the audience because I was fortunate enough to be charming at the moment.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I didn't know "Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants" was performed on TV. Missed that one.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I read that as being 5 'live' not TV performances he saw

But I could be wrong - that's just what I thought as I read it
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
After coming back from a terrible accident and doing another masterful performance Shim still gets slagged off, dissected and exposed on the Café. No one hates magicians more than other magicians. 😂
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I'm new to magic so before my time

But I think the hate for Shim goes back to a lot of his releases and how scammed ppl felt

Like flash deck (V2 coming out a month later as an improvement) great for the ppl who preordered V1

V2 still not working (lasting many performances)

And many other releases of his

So maybe that's where the haters come from, they have been taken in by shim in the past

As I said, before my time, so just speculation on my part this is behind any bad feeling today towards him
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of acortest
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
...made me comment each time wife and I watched P&YFU.

I want to watch Penn & 'Yeller' Fool Us. When is it on? (joking) Smile

I'm going to see the real Penn & Teller out in Vegas during Magic Live here in less than 2 weeks. I'll ask Penn after the show what's the deal with the editing 2 performances together. I'd ask Teller (or Yeller) but he probably wouldn't tell me (OK, I promise I'm done with the 'Yeller' jokes now) Smile

I will report back with my findings
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
453 Posts

Profile of broothal
Hah - I remember thinking: "They should edit the act - too many flashes" when seeing it. Didn't even notice that this _was_ the edited version. It does take a bit of the magic away knowing this - I like to be impressed by the skills of the magician, not the cameraman.

Also, they where quick to acknowledge that he fooled them, so here's a bit of conspiracy theory: His movements sweeping cards into the servante where so obvious and seemed exaggerated - as if he wanted them to think he was lapping. And then they guessed: "You where sweeping black art cards into a servante". He has some other clever way of accomplishing the trick, so they guessed wrong and indeed he fooled them. But then they felt bad for exposing something like a servante and edited out that part and simply re-shot a: "You fooled us"
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Puerto Rico
215 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:

The two I remember thinking were magical - one was a guy who was producing "Full" cocktails from behind silks, wearing short sleeves. I've been reminded of the guys name a dozen times but I can never remember it. I liked that, because he wasn't just holding cards behind his hands and then showing them - it was actually fun to watch. The other was Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants, which needs no further comment.

You might be thinking about Peter Marvey in World's Greatest Magic III. Most impressive card manipulation act I've seen, I don't even want to know how. That was my favorite episode of the WGM. It also featured Guy Hollingworth (with his name misspelled in the lower third), David Williamson, and Jean-Pierre Vallarino.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
625 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Ray Haining wrote:
I didn't know "Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants" was performed on TV. Missed that one.

While I think he meant live, I have seen it somewhere on television before.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2043 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants was on HBO in 1995. I never saw it live. My parents recorded it when it aired, and I watched the recording a couple times a year, whenever I stumbled across the VHS. Then when I got into magic I got another copy and watched it pretty frequently.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The only time I've seen Shin Lim perform was in his "At the Table" lecture. I was quite impressed. The black art stuff fooled the heck out of me, and his Dream Act was amazing.

What I find sad about the Penn and Teller Fool Us show is here are two guys who rose to fame by being exposers of magic sitting in judgment of some very fine magicians. It is disheartening to see the likes of David Roth, Jay Sankey and others parade before these self-styled grand pooh-pah's of magic seeking their most-high and illustrious nod of approval. Rather sickening, in fact.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3011 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Penn and Teller didn't "rise to fame by being exposers of magic". They rose to fame by working hard and thinking hard about what they do. True, they exposed some concepts (as pretty much every performing magician does). I don't agree with every exposure decision they made but I've grown to respect them more and more over the years.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2043 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You put that in better words than I could have, MeetMagicMike.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
They were fooled by Shin Lim. Yes they, like us may know some aspects of the routine but over all they could not piece together ALL that was done. Shin Lim brings many "moving parts" to his performances. In my opinion he is the best card magician I've ever seen. They may be able to watch the video in slow motion to help them but remember that is not privy to them at the time of performance. Shin Lim did fool them and he did yet another great job!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Boomer
View Profile
Elite user
San Ramon, CA
418 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Great editorial by Mike Close in the August 2017 issue of M.U.M.

He talks about Fool Us, Masters of Illusion, AGT, Carbonaro Effect, etc.

Dave
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Penn and Teller didn't "rise to fame by being exposers of magic".

Please.

The first time I heard about Penn and Teller was in about 1987 or 1988. I was working in an office on Long Island, NY. A fellow worker asked me if had seen the magicians Penn and Teller on Broadway. He excitedly told me, "They're not like other magicians. They show you how they do the tricks!"

Does nobody remember Penn instructing a whole audience of hundreds to stand up and do, in unison, the vanishing silk trick using a TT, which he had previously taught them (laymen all) to do (and supplied them each with a TT and silk)? Ask anyone who was doing that trick at the time how they felt about that.

Or what about the show where Teller was run over by a tractor trailer and then immediately the "non-exposers," casually, went into how it was done.

On and on.

And let's not forgot how their approach to magic inspired others to follow the same route (hint: one wore a mask).

I think magicians' irrational "love" for Penn and Teller can only be explained as some sort of variation of the Stockholm syndrome.

As far as Shin Lim's performance on Fool Us being edited, I watched his "At the Table" lecture, where there was no chance of it being edited, and thought he was great. But I would not have wasted my time watching him on a show such as Fool Us, where there is no guarantee the performances won't be edited.
willmagicman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of willmagicman
This topic is getting interesting. I see firm 'camps' being set up. Who do I go with? Shall I toss a coin? ... Aw man! ... I've gleaned a few bits of information so far though:

1, If you dare to critisise Shin Lim .... then you're classified by some as a 'hater'. And 'hate' is not a very nice word at all in the context of this topic ... I don't for one minute think that anyone here 'hates' Shin lim. Maybe we 'Hate' 'Adolf Hitler', but not Shim.

2, As for loving Penn and Teller: ..... Well it seems your 'Damned if you do, and ***ed if you don't'!

3, Ray made me laugh in his above post when he quoted the 'Stockholm syndrome'. Nice one Ray! Very funny.

Will.
A Man's gotta know his limitations ... A Magician sets those limitations.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8664 Posts

Profile of harris
I was first introduced to P&T in San Francisco.
There was a 3rd member creating Asparagus. (Or another vegetable)

My wife liked Shin's performance.
She is also a fan of folks like the creator of the FISM Champagne Coin & Card act.
She(my wife)was not totally fooled and caught things I did not.

We both enjoyed the total package - edited or not. M

Harris
This post was edited/NOT
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1286 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Yuan Moons wrote:
After coming back from a terrible accident and doing another masterful performance Shim still gets slagged off, dissected and exposed on the Café. No one hates magicians more than other magicians. 😂

Further down your post, we find Penn and Teller being slagged as well. I loved Shin Lim's act, and think P and T were indeed "fooled". Servante? maybe, or maybe black cloth???? Or maybe wild cards??? lap, or maybe topit???? maybe maybe maybe. We've all seen Penn and Teller come up to a magician with notes in hand, which turned out to be a wrong 'guess'. I also thought it was a 'masterful' performance, Yuan! However, I don't know if it's hate, or just old fashioned jealousy coming from the Café! Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Shin Lim second passage at Fool Us - Edited ? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL