The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ESP By The Numbers by John Bannon (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
avimag51
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of avimag51
[quote]On Aug 1, 2017, MagicMan1957 wrote:
I think a smart layperson might figure out the first part but would have a hard time working out the number total.

Also I guess the total is always the same making this non repeatable. [/q

the second phase with the numbers is simple to figure as the first one .
IanL
View Profile
New user
Washington State
81 Posts

Profile of IanL
I liked the trick when I first read it in Mentalisimo, and it got me thinking if the final reveal is stronger as a "score card" than a simple prediction of "your cards will total 65".

I think the score card is a clever idea. It gives the spectator more of a feeling of "wow, I did that" than "oh, you did something tricky to make me pick those cards. It must always total 65."

I guess I like coincidences like "our cards match, you must have great intuition" over a smart-alec magician that says "my prediction was right. I knew you'd pick these cards". Give more credit to the spectator and it feels more like a mystery and less like a trick.

Anyone with me on this?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11568 Posts

Profile of John C
I would write the prediction on a biz card or napkin right in front of spec.make it look like a prediction based on a few questions asked.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
avimag51
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of avimag51
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, John C wrote:
I would write the prediction on a biz card or napkin right in front of spec.make it look like a prediction based on a few questions asked.

What questions ?
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, avimag51 wrote:
Quote:

What questions ?

If your going to write a prediction, you can have the spec actually cut the cards themselves, then glancing the bottom card know the order they will reveal in, then write your prediction before the deal.
avimag51
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of avimag51
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, tomdeg wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, avimag51 wrote:
Quote:

What questions ?

If your going to write a prediction, you can have the spec actually cut the cards themselves, then glancing the bottom card know the order they will reveal in, then write your prediction before the deal.

I am not sure that this what John C ment , but your idea is interest. I'll try it . Thanks.
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
224 Posts

Profile of robinr
A very clever and unusual application of the "matrix force."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4674 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, robinr wrote:
A very clever and unusual application of the "matrix force."

I have the "book version" starting on pg 120 in his recent book "Mentalissimo". He mentions that it is a mash-up of a couple other effects and goes on to say that the "Matrix Force" is highly customizable. He also speaks to the advantage of using ESP cards over regular cards.

I really like this effect and have played around with it a bit since reading it in the book. I like the Phoenix ESP cards because they come in "Parlor Size" (3"x4" making them 1/2" larger in each direction than poker size) This gives a nice bit of space for adding the numbers.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1706 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I had overlooked this in Mentalissimo but went back and revisited it recently and I think its a great effect. To those who say that the method is transparent (at least for phase 1, I do believe the number test is deceptive), keep in mind its being marketed as a self-working effect. With that said, adding some convincing false shuffles into the mix really does elevate things. Also, at least in the book version, he does teach an alternate handling that IS more deceptive- I'm not sure if that will be included in this version of the release or not, but I wouldn't overlook this as it really is one of the better uses of the principle in my opinion.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1914 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney

Title: ESP by the Numbers
Creator: John Bannon
Publisher: Big Blind Media
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: Beginner
Video Run time: 27:40

Type of effect: Self Working Prediction effect

Manufacturer's Write Up:

You display your ESP ability testing deck to your spectator, explaining that the symbols and random numbers featured on the cards are used to gauge the extrasensory abilities of members of the public.

For the initial test the spectator freely selects five cards from the pack. Despite the hands off, uber clean selection process you clearly demonstrate that you predicted not only which five cards they would select... but in which order too!

So far, so incredible, however that is just phase one. The true moment of astonishment is about to land!!!

You draw attention back to the random numbers printed on each ESP card and ask the spectator to look at the five cards they selected and add their numbers together. The spectator has now created a totally random number. Indeed you clearly show the remaining ESP cards and highlight the fact that had they picked ANY other card, the total would have been different.

Which makes it all the more incredible when you prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you predicted the EXACT number they would arrive at! Utterly impossible - utterly mindblowing.

ESP By The Numbers is totally self-working. No sleight of hand. No gimmicks. No sticky stuff. Just a brain frying piece of magic that you'll want to perform again and again and again!

How accurate is the ad copy? This is everything that happens

What's in the box? Download code, cards, pre-printed prediction and box to carry it all in. + you also get a Matrix reloaded bonus effect using normal cards

Key points: One easy set up (if you can count to 20) and you're set – no sleights.

How are the production values: BBM makes great videos – high quality with plenty of clear instruction.

Is it well made: The cards are high quality with crisp clean graphics and are built to last you a long time.

Is it well taught: The combination of John Bannon and Liam Montier is a powerhouse of easy to follow teaching.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It’s a packet trick of about 20 cards

Does it "play big?" Mind reading always plays strong.

Difficulty / Skill level required: Super super super easy

How much arts and crafts are involved? None

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) In any situation, although it helps if you have a table

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

___X__ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts: to make this stronger and to disguise the method, use your best false shuffle and cuts – and then write your own prediction – don’t use the pre-printed card.
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
samdan
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of samdan
I am a hobbyist that loves easy effects. And I usually love JB effects. However, from someone who almost never knows how something is done from the demo, this to me looks like almost anyone would know how the first phase is done. Either I am missing something (which is entirely possible) or the first phase is wildly obvious to anyone, magician or not. I have no clue how the second phase is done but I think that that won't matter because the specs won't care anymore after easily seeing through the first phase. That's my 2 cents.
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
I completely agree with samdan. Really the same feeling.
I love John Bannon magic. I have most of his books and dvd, and he is really amazing. So much smart thinking!

But this ESP trick didn't fool me. Not even a little. And that is disappointing. You would say, ok, but the trick is intended to layman, right? And I believe it will probably work perfectly on layman, if you add all the false shuffling and false cut. However, to be honest, I always perform tricks to close friends and family, persons that are used to magic and won't be fooled easily. This won't work for them. (you know? The wife's test??)

Also, most of the time with Bannon's trick, his methodology is so clever that I do get fooled, even if the trick si self working. It's clearly not the case here.

So here we are, this trick won't be for me, it's not a problem, I do hope some other magicians will be happy with it. It's may be a good way to start with ESP cards. I don't know.

merlin
Jimso
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Jimso
Like others, I am a big fan of Bannon effects, but this one was instantly obvious to me. One tipoff for the second part was the specific number 65, which is familiar to anyone who knows magic squares. I would have been slightly more deceptive if the number had been something else, like 100. That could be easily achieved by adding 7 to every number, which adds 35 to the total.

I will probably buy it anyway, just to support John. His body of work is amazing, and I hope he will keep them coming.
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, Jimso wrote:
Like others, I am a big fan of Bannon effects, but this one was instantly obvious to me. One tipoff for the second part was the specific number 65, which is familiar to anyone who knows magic squares. I would have been slightly more deceptive if the number had been something else, like 100. That could be easily achieved by adding 7 to every number, which adds 35 to the total.

I will probably buy it anyway, just to support John. His body of work is amazing, and I hope he will keep them coming.

And how many laypeople are familiar with "magic Squares"?
While awaiting my delivery, I have been doing the 1st part using regular esp cards, but having the spec cut the cards, then glimpsing the buttom card & writing my prediction.
Tested with the wife, (who by now catches on to most), 4 times to her, she had no clue!!
Ran with it at one of my restaurant gigs last night, was very well recieved.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1914 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I have since made my own set of cards by hand writing on marked back ESP cards (looks less "factory made") and now after I do the trick, I can hand mix the cards (and destroy the evidence) and do two additional tricks using the back reading.

Learn

Adapt

Improve
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
240 Posts

Profile of ozman
Folks - so glad that we finally got this released. We filmed it many months ago and have been childishly over excited about it ever since. Smile As many Café members have already mentioned, a few false shuffles or cuts can add another layer of deception to the first phase. And that does play really well. Try it. But, the second phase is a total barnstomer. To be honest I am a bit confused by some of the comments suggesting that the method for the number prediction is obvious. I know what the method is, and I still don't get how it works. HA!

This is a really powerful routine, is 100% selfworking and comes with a beautiful ESP Deck you can use for other tricks. And it's BANNON!!!!
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
@ ozman

No need to sell me, anxiously awaiting my delivery...
Jimso
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Jimso
OK, not too many laypeople are that familiar (thankfully) with magic squares or the matrix force. For them, it is a great trick. No argument there. However, I have written two books totaling over 450 pages on magic squares, so it struck me as obvious. I also know quite a few people who share my interest, for whom I think it would also be obvious. But our perspective is admittedly unusual and biased. A more typical audience would have no idea how the second part was done, and the first part would deceive anyone who thinks the cards are shuffled. A false shuffle or cut can enhance the first part, and I still think that the second part would be a little more deceptive if the sum were an even 100--a more logical perfect score and not so prominently connected to classical magic squares. It's a small point that takes nothing away from the trick. It has a lot of positive features: small, unusual, self-working, etc. Bannon does not produce junk.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Looked pretty cool to me. I still prefer "Unfazed", but then again I'm probably biased.
Franky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Franky
I love very much "Unfazed".
Thanks Ben!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ESP By The Numbers by John Bannon (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL