The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Justin Willman Netflix (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
I just read that Netflix has ordered 6 episodes of a Justin Willman Magic series. He's a great performer looking forward to seeing this.
Rattooth
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Rattooth
When will it be out to watch? Thanks
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Article said next year
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
The series is now streaming on Netflix.
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
Yes, and I am not sure if I like it. I have seen the first 3 episodes and it is quite catchy, but the tricks are...hmm... I do not appreciate if they say "no camera tricks" and then the episode is cut in a way that you realize this could not work in real live, which then leads to a lot of skepticism with the magic he is doing. I will for sure watch the other episodes but I like "Fool us" or "Miracle" way more.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
2nd your opinion Beltorak. Why say, "No camera tricks" then proceed to a camera trick edit? It creates instant credibility issues. Justin Willman is a likeable enough host & well skilled, so the dodgy camera makes even less sense. Magic For Humans does present interesting episode topics imo.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I don't recall any specific disclaimers saying "No camera tricks." There was one instance, during the purse snatching segment, where Justin made a point to say the camera would not cut away, and it didn't. It was shown to the audience as the actual spectator experienced it in one single take. Then he says, "Let's do it again, but faster." And he does, only this time by taking advantage of the medium of television.

He was being honest when he said he would be honest, and when he was being dishonest he never made any claims about being honest.

In magic we often repeat the same effect with a different method. The differing methods cancel each other out and make the effect as a whole seem more impossible, that's exactly what Justin did.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Absolutely loved the show!
I know that some things are edited ‘creatively’ - but that is pretty much the norm for Magic in TV.. the effect is there and in the eyes of the spectator; what is shown happened..
My wife normally HATES all things Magic.. but she really enjoyed it.
I hope that they do more!
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
597 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Not to stir the pot (too much Smile), but the show is called "Magic for Humans". Not "Magic for Magicians".

As long as stooges are not involved, I really don't mind the use of creative editing. And if the final product (the show) represents what the spectators recall.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, trickyat86 wrote:
Not to stir the pot (too much Smile), but the show is called "Magic for Humans". Not "Magic for Magicians".

As long as stooges are not involved, I really don't mind the use of creative editing. And if the final product (the show) represents what the spectators recall.

Excellent post! I've never seen the show and cannot comment on it, but your words gave me a healthy chuckle. If we could base things on what the spectators "recall," I'd be the pope of a major new religion by now.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I don't think I would consider most magicians to be human.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
597 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
True, no human would wear a card printed tie. Smile
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2018, trickyat86 wrote:
True, no human would wear a card printed tie. Smile

I tossed mine over 30 years ago and immediately applied for membership in the human race. Sadly, they're still not taking magicians.
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
89 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
I just watched some episodes on Netflix and kinda like it.
As already mentioned I also don't like that they advertise "no camera tricks" but then edit it to make it more impressive.
Non the less I had a good time watching it, especially as I instantly recognized many of his tricks and really liked his performance.
In my opinion, everything that brings magic to the people is great.
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I hated the first episode so much that I had to “trudge” thru the second to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me. They weren’t - I’m done with it. To each their own though.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
I heard on the latest Magical Thinking podcast with Elliott Terran, Derek DelGaudio says that in episode 2, Justin clearly 'stole' an effect created by Derek Hughes. Does anyone know which effect it was? I would like to see a video of Derek Hughes performing his own unique routine.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
597 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, acortest wrote:
I heard on the latest Magical Thinking podcast with Elliott Terran, Derek DelGaudio says that in episode 2, Justin clearly 'stole' an effect created by Derek Hughes. Does anyone know which effect it was? I would like to see a video of Derek Hughes performing his own unique routine.

I want to re-listen to DelGaudio's interview anyways (it's that good!), but I don't think he named Willman/this show directly (I could be wrong). But I assumed DelGaudio was speaking about this show as well.

I also recently re-listen to Willman's interview from a few years ago with the Nerdist podcast, and he mentions being friends with Hughes.

So who knows....
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
Trickyat86,
You are correct, he never stated Justin's name nor did he name the show. He just referred to a new 'magic' themed show on TV and mentioned that had some of the ethical issues that Criss Angel's show had. Personally, I liked 'Magic for Humans'. I was just curious what trick of Derek Hughes' he was referring to. I'd like to see a video of Derek Hughes doing the same routine.
sev
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of sev
Mildly entertaining, just terribly executed. it’s very clear to see when things are set up as most things are just too impossible without them.
can only imagine how many takes/pedestrians they went through to get some of the choices made via “mentalism”, as I didn’t really sense any forced choices.
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
Thanks for the heads up, I am always looking for new shows, I will check it out and leave a review
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Justin Willman Netflix (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL