The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Flame (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hello,

I'd like to introduce you to "Black Flame". This is a method which allows you to mystically reveal (or force) a name, number, symbol, or drawing, within the scorch mark from a flame.

This requires zero advance preparation, can be setup right in front of the spectators, you can borrow the pen and paper, and it’s an instant reset.

Black Flame can be used to reveal: selected cards, named cards, star signs, or thought-of words/numbers/drawings. You can use it for a drawing duplication, or to force an idea on someone who is in a trance, to transfer thoughts through fire, the sky is the limit.

A demo video can be viewed over here: http://wanderingmagic.com/products/black-flame

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Tom Phoenix
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
I have never been disappointed with any product I got from Tom. Black Flame is no exception. It's one of those effects where you hit yourself in the head thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" It is also one of those routines that when you learn it, your head will be spinning with ideas.

It is definitely worth checking out and an excellent idea that can only come from the mind of Tom Phoenix that workers will be able to use to entertain the masses!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Tom has discovered a way to have writing or images appear in a burn mark on a piece of paper. BUT, what is interesting and unique about this is that the writing doesn't show up during the burn, but rather at a time of the performers choosing. So you can create a burn mark on a piece of paper and the audience can verify that it indeed is just a burn spot with nothing special about it, and then you can turn to another spectator and they can see the writing or image.

Tom gives a few methods for putting the work in right in front of the spectator, so it wouldn't be limited to things that could be pre-treated, so to speak. The first method of putting the work in that he mentions is perhaps workable, but seems a tad awkward to me, where as the the second, main method strikes me as very practical. There are no doubt other ways for putting the work in as well that could be explored.

Tom mentions using this for a prediction revelation, a force, or to create the illusion that a spectator is in a trance. It's a neat idea and I'm sure there are countless effects that could be adapted to use this.

My impression is that this is very useful for the bizarre performer, and definitely for some mentalists, though not all will be comfortable burning a paper. It could work very well in a seance as well.

Definitely a very cool discovery.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I'm keen on using this as a force.. looks really good!

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Just a question... when the image has appeared, can you make it disappear again?

Thanks
Sleepy
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I'd say probably not ... maybe if you applied a flame again... But I imagine that's not what you had in mind.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Last Laugh: yup, bizarre and seance is exactly what I designed this for. Glad you enjoyed it!

And Sleepy: It works very well as a force, though if you wanted to make it vanish again, you'd need to burn the paper again. That's an interesting idea though. I'll think on it and if I come up with a method, I'll add it to the explanation.

Tom Phoenix
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
I was lucky enough to grab a review copy of this, however, this is an unbiased review. I'm going to compare this from the ad copy straight from Tom's site,

"Black Flame allows you to mystically reveal (or force) a name, number, symbol, or drawing, within the scorch mark from a flame.

This requires zero advance preparation, can be setup right in front of the spectators, you can borrow the pen and paper, and it’s an instant reset.

Black Flame can be used to reveal: selected cards, named cards, star signs, relative’s names. You can use it for a drawing duplication, to force an idea on someone who is in a trance, to transfer thoughts through fire, the sky is the limit.

There is one item which is needed, but you probably already own it. Otherwise it can be picked up at a dollar store or craft store for 1 dollar or less."

This ad copy is surprisingly 100 percent accurate. Everything listed can be done and any supplies that you you have to pick up is just one thing that is very very cheap and easy to come buy. By first look, if I'm being honest, was slightly disappointing to me. The method wasn't bad just not was I expected. I thought, oh okay that's kind of a neat effect. And then I actually went and tried it. In the demo it shows up well but the impression is so good in real life it's almost eerie. The workings are fantastic. Reminds me of Trace by Will Tsai, or Bare by the other Brothers. The method is different then both, but effect is kind of similar. The thing that stands out to me about this effect, is there is really nothing to be seen, you end clean. He teaches how to do it without any setup, but you could do it and have it set up before hand too. (Don't know why you would but it's an option). This effect is great for a close up thing, but could equally play well on stage, or for like a seance. I think whether you do mentalism or card magic this can fit into your set. It doesn't take much pocket space, and the reactions are amazing. My favorite thing on the download is Tom goes over this Dual Reality piece that I will be performing. I would give this a 10/10 for being an amazing effect that will fry laymen. It's super practical, you can make it performable 360 degrees, and refills are very cheap and won't need refilled often. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well!
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Codydavismagic: The seance is what this was originally used for, to reveal symbols and the initials of family members with fire. Then I realized it had quite a few other applications... Glad you liked it, and you're right, the image doesn't look that great on video, but live, it looks very nice!

Tomorrow, I'm going to add a business card reveal, which utilizes some !@#$* p***r. So for everyone who has bought it so far, watch for an email update.

Tom Phoenix
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
My order is in, looks great Tom!
The EPIC 5 hour billet masterclass is now LIVE!
http://the1914.com
Overdraft | Orphic | Shadow | Eclipse | The Art Of Stagecraft & Many more exclusive magic & mentalism products.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
It is currently hurling through cyberspace, and will hopefully land in your inbox. Enjoy!

Tom Phoenix
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Is this similar methodwise to another earlier one done with thermal paper? Can't remember its name though, right now.

Just wanted to double check before investing. Looks very interesting.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
No thermal paper.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
No thermal paper was harmed in the making of this video.
:D
rev_marcus
View Profile
New user
Just getting started with
95 Posts

Profile of rev_marcus
Tom sent me a preview of this. It really wasn't what I thought it would be. This is a very different approach to a flame reveal and it can be done in real time for the most part with a little practice. Very novel approach with several variations. For the most part this can be done real time, impromptu with the simplest and smallest of supplies to carry. I have seen a bout a half dozen other "fire" reveals and most need more prep or cost more for the components. You can get your gimmick at Walmart with this. You WILL NEED TO PRACTICE. This is not self working but the "slight" for my favorite part is minimal. If you can palm an Eisenhower, you can probably do the slight.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
I have added a PDF to this, which contains a fully-scripted routine, called "The Oculist", which utilizes the method. I have sent it to everyone who has already purchased it, and I'll send it to the reviewers sometime tomorrow.

Tom Phoenix
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Glad to see this is a Penguin Download.http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9413. Haven't picked it up yet, but I'd love to hear reviews of this download.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
Super happy that Tom let us film a brand new download of Black Flame, I bought Tom’s original download of the effect and thought the concept was AWESOME; so we cut a deal, got Alex involved and got to it!

The brand new download is jam-packed with a LOT of info, there’s many versions taught for every skill level and situation, including some brand new handlings from Alex and I. We also include Tom’s uses for the concept too of course. There’s no chemicals, no special pens that will eventually dry up; it’s as organic as you can get, just normal paper/card, a normal lighter and the special item that makes it all possible. (If you have the gimmick, everything can be borrowed, and if you don’t have the item at home, you’ll be able to get it anywhere in any country for less than $1)

There’s also live performance footage in the tutorial, which shows how Alex performs the effect in casual situations and it went down a treat!

I think every single person that buys the new download will find a use for the effect; I can’t sell it hard enough - LeVal and I had been searching for a method to achieve exactly this (notebly burn, then the reveal appears whenever you like) for years and never hit on Tom’s idea, it doesn’t get much better than this for a reveal!

Here is the penguin link to the new trailer and download:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9413

DC
The EPIC 5 hour billet masterclass is now LIVE!
http://the1914.com
Overdraft | Orphic | Shadow | Eclipse | The Art Of Stagecraft & Many more exclusive magic & mentalism products.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I am interested in reviews of this download as well.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I picked this up with a few other bits and bobs. Been thinking about it for ages and figured why not.

Tom is one of those frustratingly clever, sideways thinkers. I knew this would be something absurdly simple applied in a way I had never thought of, and I was right. It is absurdly simple, very workable, and with a huge amount of potential.

The download isn't super long. Around 20-30 minutes I think? Alex covers everything in an efficient manner that is easy to understand, gives multiple routines, and there's a couple live performances.

This is also one of the extremely rare cases where I actually did have everything I needed to do this in my home. I have already had an idea of how I can use this for an existing routine I've started doing recently to add a bit more mysticism to it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Flame (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL