The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What glue to repair Fire Wallet? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The wick material in my Fire Wallet came unattached. What glue should I use to repair? It is a woven material being attached to metal.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
217 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Try a pop rivet, in a couple places. Glue will not hold. I also have some aluminum / metal tape to surround the wallet near the wick. Hope this works for you. Pattrick
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'd rather stick with glue. It's the way the wallet came and it held for years. I just need to find out what glue. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Any one have any experience with fire wallets and glue?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
The best glue that I have found lately is 3M 1099 adhesive!
Awesome stuff!
Alternatively, caulking silicone would do the trick. Even better than caulking is a material called Sil Poxy by Smooth-on. It's used for sticking silicone to other materials; but it's a great adhesive - especially when heat is involved (but it's costly)..
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Silicone should do the trick, but it might help to use hi-temp silicone caulk, such as used to seal fireplaces. The issue will be if there is old sealant still on the wick or metal plate. Silicone won't stick to itself.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
New silicone put on top of silicone may result in delamination.. But that is most likely due to dirt and grease on the surface stopping it from sticking to itself..
However, If you take a Dremel to remove and/or rough up the old silicone; it should stick to itself..
The tricky nature of silicone comes from whether it is platinum or tin cure.. Tin cure will set up next to platinum; but not the other way around.. I believe that caulking silicone like GE silicone 1 is platinum.
Silicone is actually one of the only things that will actually stick to silicone.
Not that I am contradicting the incredibly knowledgeable Mr. Baker; just wanted to clarify what may work if you go the silicone route
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
217 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Wow, Thank you for the info, I always use a fire wallet. I'm off to the store today.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, damien666 wrote:
New silicone put on top of silicone may result in delamination.. But that is most likely due to dirt and grease on the surface stopping it from sticking to itself..
However, If you take a Dremel to remove and/or rough up the old silicone; it should stick to itself..
The tricky nature of silicone comes from whether it is platinum or tin cure.. Tin cure will set up next to platinum; but not the other way around.. I believe that caulking silicone like GE silicone 1 is platinum.
Silicone is actually one of the only things that will actually stick to silicone.
Not that I am contradicting the incredibly knowledgeable Mr. Baker; just wanted to clarify what may work if you go the silicone route

I yield to your knowledge! My info was based on research I did when caulking a BBQ smoker. I wanted to know if a second layer could be applied to seal the gaps left after the first application. All info I could find said no. Your info seems to be more scientifically based, and that usually means more accurate. Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Before I got all the responses I went ahead and bought "Goop All Purpose Glue". It seems to have worked just fine but I'll post back if I have anything to report.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Goop seems to be working just fine. Wallet seems as good as new.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Today the wick pulled loose so I'll have to try another glue. I'll try one of the other suggestions.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
76 Posts

Profile of Ralis
I make my own books wallets etc I always use contact cement lasts for years and can be reapplied if needed
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ralis,

Can you be more specific? I have Elmer's Rubber Cement. Is that what you mean?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ok, did a little internet research and it seems that Contact Cement is more permanent than Rubber Cement. I'll pick some up and give it a try
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
76 Posts

Profile of Ralis
Correct elmers rubber cement is not contact cement. A typical brand is Welbond contact cement
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What glue to repair Fire Wallet? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL