The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Social Medium by Mark Calabrese (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I am a little surprised this new effect has not received much discussion here on the Café. This is a very clever idea that is worth your consideration. Mark showed this to me several months ago and I would say that I performed it 50+ times over a 3 week period in June (all for graduations, sweet 16 and project graduation events.) And I will tell you this.....this trick gets HUGE reactions. This target group loves effects with their phone but will always default to a "it's an app" type of explanation. Not this one. You use their phone, their Instagram, etc. There is no place for their minds to go. When I performed it, I did NOT use the "take a photo of the prediction" part that Mark has since added (and I wish I did because I like it more.)

We are all looking for unique items. We are all looking for "worker" stuff. We are all looking for tricks that are personalized to the spectators.

Check. Check. Check.

David Corsaro

http://www.ellusionist.com/social-medium......ese.html
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
I can do exactly the same thing with mentalgram by nefesch but apparently it's not the same thing ?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
From the Ellusionist Social Medium page:

NOTE: Ellusionist would like to credit Nefesch for his effects Social Mind & Username for pre-dating Social Medium. Sometimes genius isn't exclusive to one artist and it seems Mark Calabrese & Nefesch have both created the same effect independently.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
Mark Calabrese here.

in regards to Nefesch's work using instagram there are vast differences in regard to the method and what is possible with social medium.
firstly, I have spoken to Nefesch about our methods and while there is one part that is similar in method, we both agree that MINE allows for more forcing possibilities in a cleaner fashion than his. Nefesch's method allows you to force someone's username and ....thats about it. My method allows to force any picture/video/hastag/post that the person has made or even a random person's page. this is NOT possibly with ANY of nefesch's work. while you can accomplish some things using his methods, there no doubt and argument that mine is more fair, and cleaner in every aspect. if you watch my version next to his you will notice which is cleaner.

if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me

Mark Calabrese
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
"Nefesch's method allows you to force someone's username and ....thats about it."

You talk about username by Nefesch when we talk about Social Mind aka mentalgram by Nefesch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTRFSEMQdF0

With one of the method (backfire) you can force a picture / video on instagram or a facebook publication.

If both methods are differents ok. But it looks like the same thing.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You just need to read the ellussionist link and everyone will be happy...
I've asked to be banned
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
With this effect (marks version), can you also do the same effect on someone's Facebook page or is it just workable on instagram?
Thanks
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
I can now confirm the methodology is different. Smile
Less direct but it's an interesting alternative with more liberties and it's works on facebook too.
avimag51
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of avimag51
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
With this effect (marks version), can you also do the same effect on someone's Facebook page or is it just workable on instagram?
Thanks

same question.
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
You can read my post above. The answer is yes.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Thanks Dreda, for all your help with the questions etc. When you say 'Less direct' just wondering what you mean as in performance both this and Nefesh's version looks identical?
Thanks
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
I speak about what happens a little time before the sequence on the trailer begin (the setup).
Just my personal preference.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Ok, think I'm with you. So I'm your opinion would you say Nefeshe's version is more of a better set up as in not so complex in getting the same performance of how it looks from a spectators point of view?
Thanks
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I think this is brilliant! Got it last week and I've been having so much fun with it! I really enjoy performing Social Media effects. A) because its a brilliant way of advertising and staying in customers grasp and B) because they are easy for an audience to relate to. Marks teaching is of course top notch and the production is great. But I think what wasn't touched on, the other idea's Mark shares on the download are absolutely awesome! He has a beautiful way to have your spectator think of a card from a video on your Instagram and you can tell them. Whilst he doesn't completely divulge his methodology, he gives enough to get the juices flowing! Its honestly excellent. If you're a fan of magic marketing and social media magic, this is an invaluable education on just some of the things possible!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Is there someone who owns both of these - Social Medium and Social Mind/Mentalgram - who can explain the differences between the two? Theory11 and Ellusionist trailers being what they are, it's hard to distinguish.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Dreda, has the 2 versions and has been really helpful with posts - when he reads this perhaps he could go into a bit more detail with the comparisons???
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
I've not "social medium" but a friend of mine described me the method.

For what I know there are more routines in "social medium" that in "mentalgram" but less principles (personally, only the principles interest me.).

The method (f*rce) in "social medium" is less direct than mentalgram on instagram but it's far better if you want to uses it on twitter and facebook.

If you want play only with instagram mentalgram is perfect (the f*rce in facebook is not as good). If you want to play with instagram, twitter and facebook you can get "social medium".
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
This is seriously great. If you do social media (which you should) and have an Instagram (which you also should), then this is AWESOME. Just need to borrow a phone, and go at it. The routine and blocking make sense and it has a real nice prediction/reveal which does some great work. you also WILL get followers from this who have actually seen your magic and will show people!
Great Job MARK!
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
If 'social medium' is ideally for instagram, how different would the routine look if it was performed on say facebook? I'm assuming that instragram is the ideal as the method/workings to do the effect is easier to accomplish on instagram than it would be on for example Facebook?
Thanks
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Thanks everyone - I took the plunge and bought Mentalgram by Nefesch. Of the 3 techniques taught, I can see one working well in my close-up and will give this a try at tonight's show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Social Medium by Mark Calabrese (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL