The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Someone hands you a deck of cards and asks you to do a magic trick.

'I don't do magic, but I can read thoughts. Let me show you something...'

So, what do you do?

Funnily enough this happened to me the other day. I did some ancient card tricks, dressed up as mind control / thought reading. Do As I Do and Card In The Pocket - both of which I learned in my early teens.

I realised that, apart from stuff like Osterlind's stack and various gaffed decks, I was pretty thin on impromptu card stuff that could be classed as mentalism.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
OOTW.
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
230 Posts

Profile of Darby
Probably should be taken downstairs
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2323 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I also do a version of OOTW. I also have a very simple CAAN that I frame in a variety of ways - usually either a feat of memory by the volunteer or of influence to get them to choose a specific number.

Also got a version of a Hector Chadwick/Spidey routine that's a sort of card guessing/mind reading thing.

Otherwise I have a variety of ways to divine a thought of playing card.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
At the moment, it's "Philter", but only probably because it's so new and I'm feeling the initial giddiness about it.

Ben
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
77 Posts

Profile of RiBo
Liam Montier has a video on 'With Any Shuffled Deck' that has a few items that would work well for this sort of thing. Maybe John Bannon's 'Ulterior' as it also can set you up for you're next effect with the same deck.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2323 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'll also note I've done a version of Poker Player's Picnic framed as the ability to influence them to cut to certain positions.

It's really just down to your ability to script.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1718 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
The 9 card trick is a go-to for me. I also like Gemini twins and the simple "deal the cards in two piles" prediction force routine. No idea what it is called.

Ian Rowland has a couple of excellent ideas in his Penguin lecture.

Patrick
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
744 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Let them take a card, p**k the bottom, let them cut the cards, let them put theirs on top, let them put the rest of the deck on top, couple of cuts and then spread out the cards.

I do this twice, first I hold their hand and find their card.
The second time I ask them to follow my hand with their eyes and I find the card again.
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
White Star.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Depends on the moment, but I don't have a single favorite... I have "favorites". It could be a Single Card Divination, Multiple Card Divination, OOTW, ACAAN or even Pentakill (finding the 4 aces through "memory", plus a selected card).

The kicker from my impromptu OOTW, I love their reactions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJvL4qsFWs
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2262 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Prediction on the back of a business card, demonstrating the ability to mentally influence a person's mind by what I say, how I say it, and when I say it. Y'all already know how.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
243 Posts

Profile of greerj
Brookings/Brown "The Crusade"
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3349 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I have them mentally send a card to me. I never have a card selected, as in taken out of the deck. Usually I have them cut off a portion of cards and look at the one they cut to, or I riffle a corner and have them stay stop. Nu Way out of this world is pretty great, too, as is the classic 'You do as I do". Also worth mentioning is Diplobia by Paul Vigil.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Conner
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Conner
C*****c f**ce a random card face down to the table, participant covers it with a hand, good equivoque (ala Joshua Quinn)--it's devastating.

Participant gets all the credit.

Nowadays people really don't associate me with cards, so I just don't get asked. But when I did this it was all I needed.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
229 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11633 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, terrillific wrote:
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it.

Yes I should have thrown that in before you as I am a 7 aficionado.

I would have just had them pick a card and look at a blank piece of paper etc and divine each piece.

I can't remember that last time someone had a deck of cards and I didn't. And they handed me a deck. I am not sure it's ever happened even when I worked professionally for 15 years.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I just learned Muldoon Match. Easy, casual, the spectator is the magical one.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8584
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3321 Posts

Profile of Looch
For me its 'Tracker'

Killer reactions and can be done with zero prep with any deck.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:
Someone hands you a deck of cards and asks you to do a magic trick.

'I don't do magic, but I can read thoughts. Let me show you something...'

So, what do you do?

After the runaway success of my first Penguin Live Lecture, I've been invited back for another and you might be interested to learn that I'm exploring the theme of Mentalism with playing cards in my second Penguin Live Lecture next summer. This new lecture will focus on how to present compelling mentalism using playing cards while avoiding the perception that you are a magician - indeed, the effects shown will not require any sleight of hand whatsoever. Just convincing plots and justifiable, natural reasons for introducing playing cards that result in direct mind reading and entertaining revelations.

To answer the question in the near term, however, I'd have to say that The Crusade is my go to piece of anytime, anywhere, convincing mentalism with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards.

Looch's 'Tracker' is also pretty incredible and I have personally seen it get a LOT of really great reactions when he has performed it.

Best,

Atlas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL