The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2502 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
A lot of great ideas here. Paul Hallas has an entire book dedicated to this very topic, titled "Mentalism with Cards." If you want to explore a number of different plots, variations and ideas to potentially add to your repertoire, Paul's book is a good one to pick up.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
655 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Option Call by Paul Green. I have carried the predicted card in my wallet for so many years it is almost worn away. Learned it in Syzygy.
http://www.mediumarts.ca: Psychic Entertainment & Contemporary Art
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Option Call requires two cards and a himber. I'm guessing you just EqV the last pile.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, John C wrote:

Yes I should have thrown that in before you as I am a 7 aficionado.

I would have just had them pick a card and look at a blank piece of paper etc and divine each piece.

I can't remember that last time someone had a deck of cards and I didn't. And they handed me a deck. I am not sure it's ever happened even when I worked professionally for 15 years.

Never happens professionally, obviously. But it does crop up when cards are out in social situations. Like losing really badly at cards as I did last weekend.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Lucien & BevBevvyBev,
Option Call, or as I titled it, The Odds Against Me does not require a Himber type wallet. I think of this trick as one of my top 5 presentations. It is very strong!
Enjoy the Search!
Respectfully,
Paul Green
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
537 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
For me it's Patrick Redford's "Storm."
Also, Ben Blau's "Ishin Denshin" is phenomenal and baffling.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
655 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:
Option Call requires two cards and a himber. I'm guessing you just EqV the last pile.

Yes. With Max's touches from Multiplicity, it is even stronger than the original imho.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
655 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi Lucien & BevBevvyBev,
Option Call, or as I titled it, The Odds Against Me does not require a Himber type wallet. I think of this trick as one of my top 5 presentations. It is very strong!
Enjoy the Search!
Respectfully,
Paul Green

Hi Paul! It is probably the most fooling thing I do. If someone hands me any deck, you can go right into it with minimal effort. Genius work, Sir! If done right it blows by magicians and regular spectators. So simple and devious! The presentation/scripting creates these little cognitive black areas that makes it so hard to back track.

^^when I said the original, I mean the version I learned from Lee Earle's video. I have never encountered Paul's original, but now intend to track it down.
Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
124 Posts

Profile of Argon
For me it is:
Paul Vigils Diplopia.
Always fun.
Cheers
Stefan
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Mirror Mirror from Docc.

Tracker from Looch.
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Eugene Burger's version of OOTW. Performed it today with an unprepared deck. Great reaction.

- Richard
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, Atlas wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:
Someone hands you a deck of cards and asks you to do a magic trick.

'I don't do magic, but I can read thoughts. Let me show you something...'

So, what do you do?

After the runaway success of my first Penguin Live Lecture, I've been invited back for another and you might be interested to learn that I'm exploring the theme of Mentalism with playing cards in my second Penguin Live Lecture next summer. This new lecture will focus on how to present compelling mentalism using playing cards while avoiding the perception that you are a magician - indeed, the effects shown will not require any sleight of hand whatsoever. Just convincing plots and justifiable, natural reasons for introducing playing cards that result in direct mind reading and entertaining revelations.

To answer the question in the near term, however, I'd have to say that The Crusade is my go to piece of anytime, anywhere, convincing mentalism with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards.

Looch's 'Tracker' is also pretty incredible and I have personally seen it get a LOT of really great reactions when he has performed it.

Best,

Atlas

Forgot about the Crusade somehow! Part of the reason I started this thread was for a memory jog Smile
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
243 Posts

Profile of Dreda
JB Bobo - higher_mentality (impostress princess)
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
I bought an effect from Unleashyourdreams, years ago, called Skullcrusher. The principle behind the effect is brilliant, and I would love to know the history behind it...the website gives no credit to anybody. I love this effect, and it has always been a favorite of mine. You can play it up as telepathy, or present yourself as a master of human psychology, either way it kills. If anyone has any more info about this one please do share.
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, Looch wrote:
For me its 'Tracker'

Killer reactions and can be done with zero prep with any deck.

Forgotten about this one. Its great. What penguin lecture is it on? 1 or 2?
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
243 Posts

Profile of Dreda
The second lecture and in the black project. Smile
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Here's a performance of my new routine "Philter" with an unprepared deck.

https://youtu.be/N9IB9ReX_2M
Bearded_Ste
View Profile
New user
Liverpool UK
27 Posts

Profile of Bearded_Ste
I use a a trick called SCAARN which is an impromptu CAAN effect. I've got some great reactions with it.
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
Anyone performe the 20 card trick from the Jinx? The only place Ive seen it performed is Osterlinds No camera tricks. It looks great. I usually perform a bussiness card revelation from a f**ce, and recently tracker and Acaanasta from Looch and Pablo Amira
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
911 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Have couple

-Tracker by Looch
-Some version of ACAAN, preferably without touching the deck (mostly because I find it fun to perform)
-Kings force by Fraser and Ross
-Getting to know you by Perer Turner
Reader discretion is advised.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL