The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I get good reactions from this one.
https://youtu.be/997eodZgs1c
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Luccky
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Luccky
I love this one Necromancer. Well done ! I've no idea how you did this !
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Ditto. very very nice Necromancer!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Thanks for the kind words Smile
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Necromancer wrote:
I get good reactions from this one.
https://youtu.be/997eodZgs1c

2 things and not to be critical but the perception had you be a magician not a mentalist. OK if that was what you were going for but devastating if not?

And I think the method was obvious. Of course that when looking through the eye of one such as us. Obviously stellar to the lay.

Kudos for getting the radio spot.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Oh and just so that you know, that's why I can't perform my one card killer for mentalists. It's method would be brutishly obvious.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, paul180 wrote:

2 things and not to be critical but the perception had you be a magician not a mentalist. OK if that was what you were going for but devastating if not?

And I think the method was obvious. Of course that when looking through the eye of one such as us. Obviously stellar to the lay.

Not devastating at all: I was there to promote the preview run of my new show, Near Death Experience, which includes both mentalism and magic within a larger narrative. For these purposes, I was presented as a "psychological magician." His reaction was priceless, and the radio show (one of the top rated in Indianapolis) even posted this video to its Facebook page, where it quickly got several thousand views. So, mission accomplished.

(To say the method was obvious, however, could be seen as raising yourself up by putting down your brethren who've already admitted to not knowing how it's accomplished. Not to be critical, but you might want to consider how you're being perceived.)
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, Necromancer wrote:
(To say the method was obvious, however, could be seen as raising yourself up by putting down your brethren who've already admitted to not knowing how it's accomplished. Not to be critical, but you might want to consider how you're being perceived.)

Thank you for the criticism. I can sometimes not come off well in the written word and thought that my own self depreciation explained my reasoning. I'm not responsible for others perceptions only for my own presentations. But I'll try to do better.

Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
For years, my favorite go-to trick with an unprepared deck of cards has been my own "Sort Of The Truth", although now that I've streamlined "Philter", it's quickly becoming my favorite.
theothermentalist
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of theothermentalist
"Color Sense" from Card Fictions by Pit is a wonderful routine. Though I think doing it in this scenario would go specifically against Pit's essay on performance mode because OP would be on the spot in that moment. So a single card divination with the necessary WORK for "Color Sense" being done while running through the cards to find the originally thought of card. I hope that makes sense to those who know "Color Sense".
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Holy history lesson Sudo, that was amazing! near encyclopedic! I really appreciate the info and will definately check out Lorayne's take on the Murata principle. I've been fascinated by the effect since I learned it, marveling at the mind that could come up with such an idea. Thanks!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1465 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
No problem Caveman - you're welcome.

If you can, you really should check out Harry's DVD I mentioned where it is featured - I didn't see the ending coming and it fooled me good. It's a wonderful routine and very sneaky. Makes me grin every time I perform it. Smile
I'm frequently hit with enlightening in the middle of a brain storm.
giro doro
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of giro doro
Reading!
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
I'll definately check out the Lorayne DVD at some point, but by the looks of those DVDs I'm gonna be going down quite the rabbit hole! thanks again Sudo.
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of marklock
Ben Blau's "Sort Of The Truth" from Asymptotes has become my new favorite with a borrowed deck, actually any deck. It's perfectly motivated and if you're one who doesn't like mixing cards and mentalism, I find it the perfect solution to have on hand if someone asks you to do something with cards.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, marklock wrote:
Ben Blau's "Sort Of The Truth" from Asymptotes has become my new favorite with a borrowed deck, actually any deck. It's perfectly motivated and if you're one who doesn't like mixing cards and mentalism, I find it the perfect solution to have on hand if someone asks you to do something with cards.

Thank you! If you liked that one, you’re probably also going to like another few that will be released on an upcoming video project of mine. This video will feature several effects, and a large portion of the proceeds are going to be donated to the Eugene Burger Estate Scholarship Fund for The Magic & Mystery School.

One of the new routines is probably going to be filmed today, and if I get good footage I’ll post a link here.

Ben
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, marklock wrote:

Thank you! If you liked that one, you’re probably also going to like another few that will be released on an upcoming video project of mine. This video will feature several effects, and a large portion of the proceeds are going to be donated to the Eugene Burger Estate Scholarship Fund for The Magic & Mystery School.

One of the new routines is probably going to be filmed today, and if I get good footage I’ll post a link here. It’s called “Denim”.

Ben
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, terrillific wrote:
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it.

Yes I should have thrown that in before you as I am a 7 aficionado.

Thank you, John!
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Psychological stop trick. it is genuinely mental and works a charm
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
141 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Ben, I saw the performance video of denim on your youtube channel. It is fantastic. Great job! I'm not going to post a link here. I'll let you do that when you are ready to share it.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL