The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » RIP Eugene Burger (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
at4iowa
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of at4iowa
The loss of Mr. Burger will be felt the world over. Had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing him lecture less than 2 months ago. He was fantastic as expected and full of life. Such a wonderful performer and philosopher on magic. RIP.
Sh9bum9
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
What a kind, gentle soul. Great lecturer also. Best wishes to his family.
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
303 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
I am shocked and saddened to hear that Eugene has died. I saw him lecture in the mid 80's at Magic Inc in Chicago. Before the lecture we were all in the store and he was sitting behind the counter. I addressed him as Mr. Burger out of respect. I was new in magic. He responded in that great, deep, baritone voice, "please, call me Eugene."

It was from reading his booklets and books that I truly learned how to "present" magic. That teaching has stayed with me ever since, now 32 years later.

Rest in peace Eugene. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

Tony
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
My condolences to all he left. A great lost indeed to all of us.

R.I.P Eugene...
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
336 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Dear Eugene,
Your gentle voice, deeply philosophical thinking & love resonates with me from the first moment I felt your M a g I c.
Safe travels on your maiden voyage through the greatest capital M of all...
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
devaind
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of devaind
My heartfelt condolences to all members of his family and his Friends
RIP Mr Eugene Burger
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Sad to hear of Eugene Burger's passing. Sad day for our world, but it is good to know he was at peace with his demise.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
692 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Sad, so sad......RIP M.Burger
Angel_7
View Profile
New user
Australia
66 Posts

Profile of Angel_7
Goodbye to a great man
illusion is a choice
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
638 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Have met him in person and indeed has left a mark upon me and my thinking.
He is now with the Gods, where he belongs to...
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
One of the first books I bought years ago was Mastering the ART of magic
by Eugene Berger recommended to me on a Sat afternoon at International Magic
by none other than the in-formidable Jerry Sadowitz...enough said...
RIP Eugene
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Very sad news. Rest in peace.

Elliott
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I am so grateful for his contributions to this craft. Magic has lost one of its most poetic voices, erudite minds and generous teachers. His books are my favorite magic works and I am saddened to know there will never be another. My sincere condolences to his family. He will be missed.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Saw him at my first magic convention doing his classic card warp with jumbo cards just a few feet in front of me.

At another convention sat at the same table on the lunch break with him and Jeff McBride. They both performed some magic for us novices after their lunch. Just saw him again maybe 2 years ago at another convention.

The magical and performance knowledge he passed on to me I will appreciate forever. I'm sure there are thousands of others worldwide who feel the same.

R.I.P.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2257 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Many years ago, while Eugene was still working in the Chicago bar and I was struggling to find my own direction in magic, he invited me to call him at 1 am to chat. In the discussion in which I was trying to articulate the kind of magic I wanted to perform he stopped me and informed me that that was all well and good but that personally he could never make a living performing what I was talking about. He directed me to an essay by Ormond McGill; that changed my life. I owe him a huge debt for grounding me. Rest in peace Master Burger.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
426 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Very sad news.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
As I wrote on Facebook on Wednesday, no one has had a greater influence on my magic than Eugene. With every effect I create, every script I write, I can see his influence. I only ever met him on one occasion when I, along with a few friends, brought Eugene to Nashville to lecture. He spent a few days here, and I was blessed to spend nearly every waking hour with him; an occasion I will never forget. I kept in contact with him a little over the next few years, and it was on one of those occasions that I asked his permission to do his "other" version of the Gypsy Thread called "Human Thread". He agreed, then said that since it was already written up, I didn't need to ask permission; I told him that I would never perform another magician's work word for word without their permission...even if it was published. His only response was, "Hm...I wish more people felt that way."

With all of his writings and videos, the one thing that Eugene taught me regarding performing that has made the biggest impact was when he shared the quote from Devant: "Do everything with kindness."
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8814 Posts

Profile of Mb217
So sorry to hear of this loss. Eugene Berger was an amazing magician, it was always fun to watch him work. He was always so delightful in his presentations. It was like he invited you in out of the cold for a hot cup of cocoa, and then happily gave you so much more than you were expecting.

My prayers to his family at this time, and lasting respect and recognition to this warm, idyllic master...Always.

Goodnight, sir.
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Azoth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Azoth
Very very sad news... Smile

Long time ago, I've made his Wikipedia page for french audience. I would try to spread his views on magic for french magical community, where he's not well known.

Perhaps you could help me, I look for "non magical" papers or book of Eugene. I think he gave course or lecture at Yale before he dedicates his life to magic ? I'm interrested in his philosophy. He speaks sometimes of Tillich, Marcel or Heidegger, I would like to go further on his understanding. Did you have some information of this part of his life ?

I would to ask directly to him, but sadly I wait to long...

So thank you very much in advance for your help in this research.

Azoth

(@the admin: sorry for multi-posting)
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Personal view from Spanish magician David Sanchez on Eugene's work (in Spanish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ns2VpBYcjg&t=274s
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » RIP Eugene Burger (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL