The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Building Bizarre Props? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StreetWalkinCheeta
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of StreetWalkinCheeta
Help? I am looking for recommendations for books on building bizarre props. I have access to a "makers space" so for the most part the sky is the limit as to whether it is wood, metal, electronic, or other. I am sorry if this topic has already been brought up but I have not been able to locate it here. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
So vague. What bizarre story do you want to tell? Usually you start with the story before you make props. Many props are found in flea markets, antique stores, and the like. Prop making is prop making. Buy some theater prop making books. It seems like you are beginning your bizarre journey. Most of my bizarre books have plenty of prop ideas. I have no doubt people will rush to share suggestions with you, new user.

So, I will suggest you check out the Magic Nook. Tons of plans you can buy to make many things.

s
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Check out Hack, Slash, and Saw by Lary Kuehn,
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/lary-kueh......787.html
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
EHat kind of equipment does the makers space have? Example CNC, laser, equipment to print electronic circuit boards, MIG,TIG, Bridgeport,EDM etc.. As I have many files for some of that equipment and have some of it myself and could provide some assistance in the form of a trade should you have access to some stuff I do have such as the ability to print a circuit board got the rest of it covered. The real secret here is not the effects but how to use the equipment as some of it takes a long time to learn how to get it to do what you want. For example 5 axis cnc programing and machine set up. Way harder than it looks.
StreetWalkinCheeta
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of StreetWalkinCheeta
Mentalistcreationlab, the shop has a beautiful laser, mig/tig, a great 3d printer, and not sure about the rest but I am going back in tomorrow and will double check. I have the rest of my life to learn the harder equipment and I know I am down for the learning.

The Hack, Slash, and Saw looks just about perfect.

The Sponge, I understand that this was a vague post. The character that I like to work with is one that works with seance but the character themselves is based upon the creepy, nostalgic, sometimes funny, and unpredictable. Think of the character from Texas Chainsaw Massacre II of the brother of Leatherface. Mix that character with one who does hypnosis from a psychedelic past and you have what I am working for.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
My top three go to resources would be: Hack, Slash, and Saw , magicnook.com, And the complete Altar Flame - it's a treasure trove of Bizarre effects
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
If you are looking for bigger you could add Evillusions to that list

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/evillusions.html
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
If there was ever a post for weepinwill to comment on THIS is the one!
The "18"
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, jglumley wrote:

Actually, I am not sure this is correct as I never build my props but use what is available at the House of Discount Funerals. You'd be surprised how many body parts are left over after an embalming or cremation. Sometimes people just don't come back to pick them up. I once cremated a guy and when his wife showed up at the funeral home to make arrangements wearing hot pink short-shorts, low cut blouse showing everything but the nipples, and sporting a new hairdo, I knew she wouldn't be back to get him. Her recent spray tan told me she was headed South, maybe to Florida. She even stiffed me for the expenses. Since State law forbids the dispersion of the cremains, I just placed his urn alongside a dozen others I had to build the special storage room for. BTW, if you ever wanted an Uncle Fred but never had one PM me as I have one available in the Adopt-A-Cremains program. I have had temptation to animate a few of the embalmed ones but never saw the need as a good story is sufficient to take up the slack.

Hope this helps some. Sorry I couldn't be of any further help than this on this thread.

Weepin' Willie
"Your last (S)Mile is my first priority!"
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2017, weepinwil wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, jglumley wrote:

Actually, I am not sure this is correct as I never build my props but use what is available at the House of Discount Funerals. You'd be surprised how many body parts are left over after an embalming or cremation. Sometimes people just don't come back to pick them up. I once cremated a guy and when his wife showed up at the funeral home to make arrangements wearing hot pink short-shorts, low cut blouse showing everything but the nipples, and sporting a new hairdo, I knew she wouldn't be back to get him. Her recent spray tan told me she was headed South, maybe to Florida. She even stiffed me for the expenses. Since State law forbids the dispersion of the cremains, I just placed his urn alongside a dozen others I had to build the special storage room for. BTW, if you ever wanted an Uncle Fred but never had one PM me as I have one available in the Adopt-A-Cremains program. I have had temptation to animate a few of the embalmed ones but never saw the need as a good story is sufficient to take up the slack.

Hope this helps some. Sorry I couldn't be of any further help than this on this thread.

Weepin' Willie
"Your last (S)Mile is my first priority!"

Of course, one of my favorite effects is to use the coins off the cadaver eyes for a coins across routine. The problem is you must be careful which ones you use. You see, the story goes that when you die you must have the money to pay the ferryman across the river Styx, so money was included with the dead, and if you didn't you must roam the earth as a spirit for 100 years. I've had people I know that I'd put my own money on their eyes or in their pockets to not have to deal with their sorry butts for 100 years after their death.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Jon Thompson's "Electronics for Magicians" vol 1-2

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/booksbytomo
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Lucien, the Lulu site is temporarily down and the links on the sight you link to don't take you anywhere that is developed.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, weepinwil wrote:
Lucien, the Lulu site is temporarily down and the links on the sight you link to don't take you anywhere that is developed.

Weird, everything loads perfectly for me....
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Working for me as well. Bookmarked for future binge purchases.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
[quote]On Aug 25, 2017, Lucien Astor wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, weepinwil wrote:

Weird, everything loads perfectly for me.... [/quote

Came back up last night about 9 PM here. Must have only been temporarily down in some areas. Now if we could just find a coupon that works.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Building Bizarre Props? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL