We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Torch to Rose -> Then give the rose away? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
I was talking to BroDavid in a PM regarding the Torch to Rose. I asked him if you could give the rose away after you produce it but he mentioned that you couldn't give it away.

Then the question came up: How could you perform this trick and be able to give the rose away after it is produced? This would be great for dinners with the wife/girlfriend or whatever.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking that you might be able to do something like this with the new Phoenix (I think its called that - the old one was called Inviso-Torch).

Any ideas welcome. Smile
-Jaime
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The Torch to Rose that we spoke about is a product offered by Deluxe Magic http://www.deluxemagic.com and there is a video on the site of the performance with the torch to Rose. If anyone is interested in a well made Torch to Rose, it is very nice, and you should try it out.

Jaime raised a really good issue about how much more powerful the effect would be if you could then hand out the rose. In the torch to rose, the flower is part of the gimmick, so you would have to, well, I think the technique should be reserved for secret sessions. But suffice it to say that you must do something else, at some point, if you want to hand out a rose, after showing the torch that turns into a rose.

I really like Jaime's idea, and am working on some handling for it with my torch to rose.

As for Phoenix and a rose, I can certainly see some possibilities of a "torch/flame" followed by the appearance of a real rose. It has to be all in the angles, and the handling, but certainly should be doable.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
In regards to Jamie's request to hand out a real rose. If you would like to click on http://www.whiterabbitmagic.com and look at the video you can see how you might work this out. I used a bottle, it could be anything.
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
I'm about to order this myself. The same thought occured to me. How cool would it be to then hand out the rose? This is what I came up with: You could wrap the rose up with some of that other flower filler stuff (like when you buy flowers for a girl) and let someone on stage hold that whilst you did some other magical workings. You could then use her for a trick and take the flower back from her and set it down (you'd want to do this sooner rather then let her hold onto it for a bit as she might fidget with it).

Once you've gotten it back from her, I'm sure you could hand her something else that looks close enough to what she had before and no one would be the wiser. Especially if you gave it back to her at the end of your act as she was leaving.

I don't have this effect (yet). I don't know how it works. I'm saying this assuming the Rose is only mildly inspectable with great misdirection. This is just one thought for some misdirection away from the rose after the effect.

~Spiff
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I think a switchout would be in order earlier in the performance because the torch to rose isn't inspectable at that angle at that distance. (Or at least it isn't in my opinion.)

You can show it close up, as long as you keep it at the right angle of view. (Saying too much more might be giving too much away.)

I think a middle ages type of exaggerated honoring bow to m'lady would give you cover to do the deed. And then hand her a real rose!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I've been playing with a paper rose to real rose effect, without the levitation.

I've built a gimmick to hold the rose and I'm going to use thread to get the rose from my sleeve to my hand.

I'm just gonna "roll" a paper rose out of FP,
light it, toss it in the air, and wind up with a real rose in my hand.

The only drawback that I can see is the potential damage a large sheet of FP might have if it lands on someone's rug, or something.

ANY SUGGESTIONS Smile Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Cheaptrick,

One method is to not toss the rose into the air, but let go of the FP at the last possible moment and do the steal at that time. If the area you are performing in is darkly lit, there will still be a "spot," caused by the flash, in front of the audiences eyes, that will cover you for a few seconds to do the switch.

I've seen it done that way and have on occasion, done it that way myself.

I like BroDavids idea of the bow to ditch and steal the needed items.

Another thought I had, problem is reasoning why to do it, is do the torch to rose w/rose remaining in the left hand, cross right hand to rose as if you are going to take it from the left hand, instead produce a large fire/flash from right hand and do the switch out with the left. (I don't own Phoenix, could that do for the needed fire/flash?)

There is no seeming rhyme or reason for the second flash (other than to switch out) so extra thoughts were, have a ladies ring tied to the real rose, it would appear as though the extra flash produced a tied ring to the rose.

Another thought is a color switch with the real being a white rose, this again gives purpose for the extra flash.

Don't know, just some ponderings from a tired guy trapped at work. Smile

Just checked out Jim's video for Phoenix. That is cool! Smile It should do nicely!
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
The second flash could transform the one "rose" into a bunch of roses.
Jester
Smile
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
I'm digging up an old old topic here.

Anyways I'm interested in this idea of going from one rose to a bouquet of roses, which could then be handed out. Does anyone here think this could be practical close up? I'd like to do it as a follow up from the floating paper rose. Is that possible? Some people seem to think its a stage piece while others think you can do it close up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Torch to Rose -> Then give the rose away? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL