The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » David Parr on P&T (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Excellent Smile
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Love it !
I saw David a few weeks ago at the Castle. His character is so charming. And his speech delivery was a lesson of theater.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
This was great; I also thought the steam punk guy did a great job.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Very cool! I love Allison because I love Buffy the vampire slayer and how I met your mother, but she's usually so awkward on this show. However, she was cute and funny in this clip. As for the trick, I wasn't very impressed. I could easily replicate. Don't see how this fooled penn and teller at all. But still, a very fun and entertaining routine!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, James F wrote:
Very cool! I love Allison because I love Buffy the vampire slayer and how I met your mother, but she's usually so awkward on this show. However, she was cute and funny in this clip. As for the trick, I wasn't very impressed. I could easily replicate this. Don't see how this fooled penn and teller at all. But still, a very fun and entertaining routine!

However it was done, it was great!
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I think the presentation was fantastic. But I too am surprised that P&T were fooled.

Mike
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Just out of curiousity, did you immediately 'see' the method during the first time that you watched it? Or did you need to watch it a second (or third) time to 'get it'?

(I didn't 'get it' with one viewing, but the second time, the light bulb lit up in my head.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I have seen the basic effect before using DST and also an impromptu version. David's contribution is the "Do As I Do" theme and the bell which was a great touch. Very entertaining indeed.

Mike
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

Thanks, Mike. In the first episode of the first season of Fool Us (from the U.K.), a guy fooled Penn and Teller with Simon Aronson's Prior Commitment. I saw through it with no difficulty, but Penn and Teller weren't familiar with the principle involved. That's the sort of trick that will fool almost anyone the first time they see it.

So, what would it be like if you'd never seen something quite like this before? (After all, nobody's seen EVERYTHING.) And, further, what if you only got to see it once?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Interesting. After being awakened at 3:00 in the morning last night, I couldn't get back to sleep right away. As I lay awake, tried to remember the order that David did everything, and I came up with the same solution that all of you did. Like you say, Barry, it fooled me initially --- I only watched it once, but I kind of worked it backwards in my head. And I agree with Mike, the use of the bell was extremely clever and entertaining.

I just might try this at my next ring meeting....
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, BarryFernelius wrote:
Just out of curiousity, did you immediately 'see' the method during the first time that you watched it? Or did you need to watch it a second (or third) time to 'get it'?

(I didn't 'get it' with one viewing, but the second time, the light bulb lit up in my head.)

Often, I get fooled by close up effects on first viewing; but then figure it out much later. I'm sure Teller in fact figured it out later, but the point is to fool them on the spot. As I recall, P and T were thinking "no double facers, double backs, marked cards...". They were already down a wrong track! Lynn
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:

Honestly, it took about a minute of thought. I was initially shocked because she shuffled her own packet. I definitely had it before penn and teller began talking. It was just a rational chain of thought. Obviously he can control the card he gives her. He can't control the card she gives him. Therefore the only option is to hide the card she hands him and have another card matching yours in the deck.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, lynnef wrote:
Quote:

Often, I get fooled by close up effects on first viewing; but then figure it out much later. I'm sure Teller in fact figured it out later, but the point is to fool them on the spot. As I recall, P and T were thinking "no double facers, double backs, marked cards...". They were already down a wrong track! Lynn

I was so shocked that they even brought those gaff cards up. What part in that routine even sparked the idea of double facers or backers for p&t?? Neither of those types of gaff cards would help at all. It was clear to me he simply had to hide her card.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

My problem the first time was very simple. I was having so much fun watching David and his interaction with Alyson that I forgot to put my mind in 'magician mode.'

-Leonard Bernstein
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
If you look back cards seem to be a pretty effective vehicle to fool them. I thought Teller had some card chops but Penn clearly not.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, RCP wrote:
If you look back cards seem to be a pretty effective vehicle to fool them. I thought Teller had some card chops but Penn clearly not.

I agree. I was shocked when Kostya Kimlat fooled them with his roadrunner cull. They seem to lack knowledge in a lot of card magic; stuff I consider to be well known throughout the community.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
They're stage illusionists, primarily. Cards aren't that common in that context.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
My problem the first time was very simple. I was having so much fun watching David and his interaction with Alyson that I forgot to put my mind in 'magician mode.'

Precisely! Me too. And the bell ringing was excellent misdirection! Lynn
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
They're stage illusionists, primarily. Cards aren't that common in that context.

Absolutely. But so many people on the show perform close up. Maybe it's time to brush up on your knowledge if you're being fooled by such simple methods. In the other active thread right now, they were fooled by Tamariz' Neither Blind Nor Stupid!" Wow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » David Parr on P&T (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL