The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Captive by Jimmy Strange (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Kaan
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Kaan
Hi everyone,

this is my review of Captive by Jimmy Strange.
Hope it helps Smile

Best,
Kaan
Mirrah Mirrahculous
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mirrah Mirrahculous
Hi all,

I thought I would share a few thoughts.

In regards to visibility of the gimmick, the demo was shot with super professional high definition camera, from about 7-10cm distance.
I think this fact speaks for itself.

I love performing 'Think of a card' routine with a special deck.

The deck is examinable, right - I put it straight in the face of the spectator so they can choose a card to think of.
Yet... there is nothing examinable about this deck...
With many wonderful gimmicks you need to hide so many things.

Nothing in magic is 100% examinable. How examinable a gimmick is, depends on our confidence as performers to control the 'examinability'.
And we know so many ways to pre-condition the mind of the spectator in order to increase this. We can always use them if we feel uneasy.

Examinable doesn't mean they have to inspect the object for hours.
And there is no need. Why run without being chased.
The inspection will happen naturally and even subconsiously.

I would also like to share some ideas, someone may find useful.

1) If you are worried about sound – recap the gimmick for a second and there will be no sound whatsoever.

2) To set it back to normal reset state, you ONLY NEED TO TAP the CAP on the table. Then the reset will take the usual few seconds.

3) Worried about a tiny visible part of the gimmick – trim it with an exacto knife – it is absolutely safe to do so, as long as you don't go further than the brim.
If you cut it under slight angle (instead of 90degrees), it will even melt into the cap.

And something specially for Kaan. I really enjoyed watching your review. Wonderful words.
You have noticed a lot of the qualities of this project and appreciated the thought and effort behind it.

The timing is not exact each time, but it is similar if you set the gimmick in a similar way.

For people, who don't feel comfortable improvising with their patter (like me), the card routines are very suitable, because there is no need to talk at all and the performer can control the timing for the appearance of the chosen card at the precise moment they need to.
In this case simply doesn't matter if the activation happens few seconds sooner or later.

I hope this helps.
Mirrah Mirrahculous
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mirrah Mirrahculous
Just a quick 40 second video including reset and performance with a very beautiful slide.

Coffee is on you, the donut is on me Smile
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGUEjqaU2s
Kuroth
View Profile
Veteran user
Deep In the Heart of Texas
315 Posts

Profile of Kuroth
Thanks Mirrah..
Chapter 18 (Member circa 1938)
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Hi All.

Anyone knows how to contact Strange Jimmy?
The email on his profile is not working anymore.

Thanks!
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1417 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
He’s away on holiday at the moment, but back at work at Merchant of Magic on Tuesday. Just give the shop a ring and chat with him.

You can also reach him at support@magicshop.co.uk

Best wishes
Dominic
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Thanks Dominic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Captive by Jimmy Strange (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL