The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Penn and Teller fooled by a selfworking card trick (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Anybody else watched episode 4 of season 4 of Penn and Teller -Fool us? Seems that they we're fooled by a selfworking trick that can be found in the Card College Light series from Roberto Giobbi...Ain't that grand? Smile
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There's nothing bad to be said about self working card tricks. Really, they're not self-working. It's just that the creator put in the hard work of creating it beforehand in the first place. Subtlety over brute force is my motto.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Indeed...I love self-working card tricks where you can focus on presentation.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
My version of A shuffling lesson by Chad Long is one of the tricks I do that gets the best reactions.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
He was so unorthodox that he absolutely had them off their game. Great effect. I will have to look it up again.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, LoveKey1988 wrote:
Anybody else watched episode 4 of season 4 of Penn and Teller -Fool us? Seems that they we're fooled by a selfworking trick that can be found in the Card College Light series from Roberto Giobbi...Ain't that grand? Smile

Which book is it in?
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Nice presentation by David Parr, but I ain't buying that P&T were truly fooled by this You Do As I Do.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
David Parr was not on episode 4. He is referring to Siegfried Tiebers act.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Oops!
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
The David Par effect is this in a book or his own creation
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is his own creation
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
My segment is on Episode 5 of Season 4. I don't own a copy Card College Light, so I can't address any similarities to the effect there. I can say that what I did on Fool Us was not self-working. And yes, ejohn, it really did fool them. They conferred for a loooong time and couldn't come up with a theory. Both of them confirmed to me afterward, as we talked in the hallway outside the theater, that they were stumped.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Great presentation. Congrats, David!
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Yes.. very nice! I'm fortunate enough to have reversed engineered it.. but I totally understand how they were fooled. A lot of thought went into it, and, with all the moves, it would have taken considerable time to figure it out.. Congrats!
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, RCarruth. Prior to flying out to Vegas to record the segment, I showed the effect to several magicians and then asked "So, do you have a theory about the method?" And they replied with variations on this: "I got so caught up in the back-and-forth game of it, I forgot to look for the method." I think that was one of the factors that worked in my favor.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxaVU-nGxE?
or this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bAqw3jvNU
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Second one Smile
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
That shows one of the basic flaws of the show. The method could had very well been what Penn suggested, but it's not in this case. This is based on Neither Blind nor Stupid by Juan Tamariz with a different setup and different reveal. Great presentation, thanks for sharing!
lukkudlek
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of lukkudlek
One word - wow.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
I believe Siegfried Tieber's effect is basically just "Some People Think". At least, that's how I would have done it. Perhaps there is a self-working method, but it's trivially done from a stack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Penn and Teller fooled by a selfworking card trick (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL