The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best seen mentalist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
My all-time favourite has to be David Berglas. He is the only one I could believe was capable of doing anything when I first saw him many years ago. Once he stepped out on the stage he was in command of every situation. I have his book but many of his effects are still difficult to explain. He is also the only mentalist I know who put out a challenge to the audience during his performance challenging them to explain how he did his effects. Nobody ever did. What nerve! Great.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I forgot to mention that I did see Craig Karges. I thought that his show was great, though more "mental magic" than mentalism.

There are two performers that I'd love to see, but unfortunately have never had the chance: David Berglas and Derren Brown. With every wonderful thing that I've heard from and about them both, I feel like I'm slighted living in the US and not having access to viewing their shows.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
I wish I've seen enough of them live to be able to compare! I would also want to obtain & really study footage of Dunninger, Canasta, Jaks, Koran, etc. before I judge the current guys.

Nonwithstanding, Osterlind, Banachek and Max are icons, & Kreskin will forever be a sentimental favorite. I really like what little I've seen of Derren, and Conover seems to distinguish himself nicely, too.

The first live show I've ever seen (twice) was somebody who Chris Carter said influenced him- he was Philly region mentalist / hypnotist "The Amazing Neal." He deserves more recognition.

Regarding Nu, whom I've had the pleasure of seeing quite a few times now, you can mark my words, you'll be hearing a lot more about him someday.
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Without question, Derren Brown. His presentation is as far ahead of everybody else's as warp drive is above walking...Whether his methods are considered kosher or not, Derren succeeds in baffling both laymen and magicians/mentalists alike and the controversy he causes is a measure of the skill of the man and his team.

Other notable mentions:

Banachek, Max Maven, Kuffs and of course, Uri Geller.
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
I have to go with Osterlind, based on the performances in his Mind Mysteries DVD series (I'd KILL to actually see him in person). Someone used the term "charming" to describe him. That's not a word one often hears applied to mentalists, but it's very fitting in this case. Richard is a delight to watch. No one can work a crowd like this man. Here you have this guy doing these absolutely amazing, impossible things, yet he's so self-effacing, funny, and yes, charming, in the way he presents them.

On the second DVD in the series, he calls a middle-aged woman up to help him with his Calling Cards effect. She tells him how nice it is to meet him and can't resist planting an affectionate kiss on his cheek. How many mentalists get THAT kind of reaction from their audience? (And this is an L&L audience, mind you. They've seen it all.) Richard is just so *** likeable.

I can appreciate the genius of, say, a Max Maven, and there's something to be said for that whole smoldering/mysterious approach, but Mind Mysteries has taught me the value of "keeping it real." No one can connect with a crowd like Richard Osterlind.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
No-one seems to have mentioned Corinda! His book 13 steps to mentalism seems to have been one of the most popular books concerning mentalism for decades! He spent 2 years collectin information from 14 different well-known mentalists, and I believe that without him mentalism wouldnt be as well-known or as popular as it is today! I have also heard great things about Banachek and his work. However, if we are discussing modern-mentalists, I would probably say Derren Brown seems to have done very well for himself in such a short amount of time!
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Quote:
On 2004-04-19 07:06, francisco wrote:
No-one seems to have mentioned Corinda! His book 13 steps to mentalism seems to have been one of the most popular books concerning mentalism for decades! He spent 2 years collectin information from 14 different well-known mentalists, and I believe that without him mentalism wouldnt be as well-known or as popular as it is today! I have also heard great things about Banachek and his work. However, if we are discussing modern-mentalists, I would probably say Derren Brown seems to have done very well for himself in such a short amount of time!

I believe the post was about performing mentalists. As far as I know no-one has seen Corinda perform nor is likely to ever.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I'm amazed how you guys forgot Tim Connover and Lior Manor. They are wothout a doubt on the top 5 list.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
[quote]On 2004-04-19 07:50, JamesCheung wrote:
I believe the post was about performing mentalists. As far as I know no-one has seen Corinda perform nor is likely to ever.

This post is actually named best-seen mentalist, and as Corinda performed onstage to many people, and even has his picture in his book 13 steps it would stand to reason that someone saw him in his lifetime!
If you are into nit-picking (like a monkey) no I have not seen Corinda as I'm a 16 year old...
depends how you interpret the title of the forum I suppose
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Young Mr Francisco, I'm not nitpicking merely pointing out that Tony Corinda was never a professional performing mentalist. There is also some mystery as to whether he actually wrote 13 Steps. The general opinion from those who know him is that he has retired from the world of magic and living a life of seclusion. Please read the post regarding him and in particular the posts from a gentleman called Wisdom.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
James wasnt nit-picking. you just misinterpreted the question that was posed as the topic of this thread. since everyone has already named people I have seen live I will just throw a name into the mix even though I have never seen him live...I have heard wonderful things about ross johnson.

You beat me to it james Smile
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
I apologise James I was a little abrupt!
I will read the posts about him thanx 4 the advice!
:-)

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best seen mentalist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL