The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A long time ago... (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
....I wrote a missive regarding motivations. Tonight, I'm more concerned about contributions.

I have observed newcomers to this glorious game, and many or even most have nothing to add. They merely take from what has come before them. There's no originality, merely pale replication; parrots.

Where is creativity? Originality?

Unfortunately, they're sorely lacking in a general sense.

Regardless of motivations, if you don't have anything to add, sit down and shut up...

...at least until you have something to contribute.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
To be fair, not many people contribute here, because of posts like yours.

I'm willing to bet there are plenty who have originality in their routines. But why come here when they get bashed by someone like yourself.

Regardless, Everyone has to start somewhere. Did you have a mentor that helped influence you when you started?

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly your post isn't contributing, helping, assisting or beneficial to anyone.

Having a bad day?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oh my!

Well, I'm certainly happy that you came on yesterday with your comments. At last! I can sit down and shut up, without feeling guilty about it.

I've tried, for seventy years, to invent a better way to vanish a thimble, but, I guess that I'm just not motivated enough. I even spent a year, trying to build a better black art well. I just couldn't do it. I spent a week studying Tarbell, trying to invent a new principle. THAT was a failure, too.

I did manage to make a living, performing, so, perhaps I should be thankful for that, at least.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I for one remember making an attempt to contribute something, only to be shut down by Eric before he even knew what was going to be shared...

Yes! I sat down and shut up, but a lot of people missed out on some new creative ideas.

What a strange post for him to make.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hmmm,..
it's true.
Dick Oslund STOLE my WHOLE Magic Act!
As a young whipper-snapper,
knee-high to a grass-hopper;
he listened to me on the radio,
..and lifted it,..
trick for trick!

Dick, you missed the thimbles,
because,..
I was using Shot Glasses(!).
,...and NOT vanishing THEM,..
,BUT,..
their contents(!).

And,.
AND(!);
...he stole my complete Pantomime Act, as well(!)..!
Word for word!

Youth.

Eric,
"there's no such thing as 'chance'."
(my favourite Magician said that.
Authur Brandon,..Milo.)

I read your Post this morning,
before pushing our Show 'up the hill',
into Kassel.
,..and WHAT a push(!).
,...what a 'Post'.

I had no time to write,...
I dreaded carrying your thoughts ALL day(!).

"There is no such thing as 'chance'."

As we came to the top of the hill,
...'mountain',..
"bwaah!,..!"
documenta 14(!),..is going on,.,!
,in Kassel!

documenta: 'THE' Modern Art festival.
,..every 5 years.
,.Kassel.

Sculptures.
In-doors,..out-doors.
Artists,..lovers-of-Art,..
beautifull.

In front of us,....in the middle of towne:
a sculpture.

("There is no such thing as 'chance'.")

Artist, Martha Minujin thought,
"there are books,..
thoughts;
that someone wanted to say,..
publish;
BUT,
no one was interested.
Either the Authors were too old,
too young,
too crazy,
too un-known,
or,,.too 'hmm'?"

Eventually, they WERE published.
And their books changed the world.

Martha thought,
"I am going to collect books,..thoughts,
that were rejected at least THREE times,
by 'publishers'.
But eventually published.
Then,..I will weld the books in plastic,..
and make a 'monument' from them!"

hmm,...?
so,
like how many Books might this be?
A handfull?,..
like Monika's favourite,
'Die Lyrische Haus Apotheke' Erich Kästner
https://flic.kr/p/XNaHaT

Or,..a pile?
https://flic.kr/p/XNaHbz

And come on,..
WHAT kind of 'monument', could be build out of,.
'old', 'young', 'know-nothing', 'know-it-all's' ?
https://flic.kr/p/XNaHbV

?,..?
https://flic.kr/p/XNaHcX

https://flic.kr/p/XNaHc6

https://flic.kr/p/XNaHdD

! !, !.

The nice thing about the documenta is,
Artist stay by their sculptures,..
so you can argue wih them(😊),
or discuss,
listen,..
understand.
Martha told me,
"The deeper meaning,
is on the inside....

https://flic.kr/p/XWjpkJ

,...the 'old', 'young', 'confused',
are carried,..
supported,.
..NOT by 'golden hooks from the sky',..
'the gods',..
'elite'.
BUT by,
"fire and iron,
down-to-earth,
rooted,
folks."

I really like this.
klnda made my day,..week(!)
gallagher

p.s.: Dick, I'll forgive you,..
if you would just give me
a little discount on that book of yours(!)
Winter's round the corner(!),..
My eyes are watering for it!

,..i'll teach you 'the Shot Glass' trick.

p.p.s.: Some other books,
kinda surprised me(!).
'Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn'.(!)
two books from Dan Brown(!).
'Grimm's Fairytales' (!).
'The Diary of Ann Frank'.
The complete Ringelnatz.
,..'Harry Potter'.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
642 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Gallagher, you can say that again!!
Jack Skipton
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, and in particular the newbies starting out and finding their way. Conversely, I'm not fond at all of pompus, elitest type posts.
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Hello Mr. Evans. I mean this in a loving and respectful way... because I truly admire you. I think you have lost a bit of perspective... you've sort of forgotten what it's like to be new at this game.

The new comers like me... we are like kids in a candy store... we look around and everything looks so delightful and we want so badly to be a part of it... and we (or maybe I should limit this to me) want to be original and creative and I do try - a little here and little there... but at same time while I'm trying to learn a craft - I have to follow the tried and true method of those that have come before and made this work through their sweat and grind. I mean people like you... you have gone out there and made something wonderful.

Please Mr. Evans. Have a little mercy on us noobs. It's especially harsh when someone with as much prestige and talent as yourself comes down on a newbie... I want to contribute... I want to be original... but I need a little time to develop this... I'm hopeful.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Magic Dave!

Youse'll make it! bcuz youse seem to got a good positive attitude. Verbum sapienti: Learn the fundamental principles! (Read Tarbell!).

I didn't just READ Tarbell. I STUDIED Tarbell! It was written in the mid 1920s, so the patter and often the presentation ideas are a wee bit archaic, BUT, the PRINCIPLES are there! [Ya gotta have a gooooood foundation.]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2017, cbguy wrote:
I for one remember making an attempt to contribute something, only to be shut down by Eric before he even knew what was going to be shared...

Yes! I sat down and shut up, but a lot of people missed out on some new creative ideas.

What a strange post for him to make.

"shut down"? I merely wrote you saying that I hoped that you weren't like others that I've known; wanting to make a name for yourself by association with others who had real names. Koxmo and Cellini come to mind as an example. you pulled the plug on the project, not I. Perhaps my email to you hit too closely to the mark? What exactly were you going to contribute? If it had value, you should man up and do it by yourself. Show me I'm retrospectively wrong.

As to Tarbell, yes, it is a wonderfully informative series, though, as a sleight of hand guy, I've always been partial to Henry Hay. His are the works I recommend to Newbies. Follow his recommendations from there as elucidated in Amateur Magician's Handbook, and you'll never go wrong. June was quite a knowledgeable fellow, and true lover of magic.

As to noobs like Magic Dave, or the Tarbell fanatic Dick Smile, I wasn't talking to you. Gallagher I'm not sure about, he writes such cryptic posts that I'm not sure how to assess them and I've seen nothing of him other than them. Nobody I know have ever seen or heard of the fellow, and I'm internet skeptical. Too many ''great internet magicians'' for my taste.

(As to the spurious charge that posts like mine above are responsible for the decline in posting here, give me a break. This little corner of the Magic Café has always had less posts and subjects than "Rings, Strings and Things". I'd think Facebook and all the special user pages therein, are more directly attributable to whatever diminished views and posts here.)

I was talking to the self-promoting know littles who constantly blow their own horns all while creating, contributing little of their own.

If that applies to you, please, sit down and shut up. You're never going to get anywhere of any worth, by spouting to everyone how good you are. Put up or shut up.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Well gee,.
it's nice waking up this morning
and finding out,....
I don't even exist(!).
......except in the cobwebs, of the internet,...somewhere.

If these misquito bites,
were only a bit more,...
'cyber',...
I mean,..'cryptic'.

. . . . . . . . . . . *. . . . . . . . ! . . . . . . . ö. . . . . . . . . .

It's somehow funny,
Performers,..."of the Streets";
Their 'stages' don't exist.
Their 'audiences',.?
,...co-incidental walker-by-ers.
Their 'gage',...
concrete, as a handfull of cloud.
Their 'Acts',
..the best THEY can manage,...'imagine'.
The 'Performers' themselves,..?
stars* without names.
Nebulas.
,..don't even exist.

Existentialism,....pure.

(* you can interperate that word.)

,...uuhh,
gotta go now,
my mega-bytes are UP!
,,..breakfast time!
gallagher

p.s.: Eric, you should maybe hang out with some folks who play 'the Streets'. (?)
I'm not talking about Busch Gardens, in the summertime.
Or auditioning to play the que at Disney Land,....when the sun isn't shining,..to much.
...'Liner-uppers' at a 'proven Pitch',..
in New Orleans,..
during the Mardi Gras.
ha!
The Alamo, in tourist rush,..?

'World' Buskers who hop a plane to 'Europe',.
play Las Rambles (barcelona), the Pompidou (paris), and audition and wait in line at Covent Gardens (london),
..maybe smoke a joint in Amsterdam,..
the Bern Busker's Festival?
ha ha ha,...

Eric, folks YOU meet, playing the Montreux Jazz Festival,
don't play 'the Streets' of Montreux,
...when there is NO Festival.
(surprise!)

Eric, in St. Wendel,..
when there is no "Busker's Festival",
Gazzo, Nick Nicolas, Ted McCoy,.,,you(!),..
DON't come and play(!).

(Not ONE of the 'busking magicians' who play 'these'
,..play a Street corner,.
anywhere in the world,..
the following monday morning.)

Eric, you want to meet folks who play 'the Streets'?
Go to the Streets.

ha..
a little side note,..,poke.
i SAW you,..on 'the Streets'.
Stuttgart.
The 1980's.
Zurich got shut down,..
too crazy and loud.
All the 'big timers' headed north,..
Freiberg,..Stuttgart.

Jim Cellini set up to play,..
couldn't get a crowd(!),..
"Everyone speaks English.....,or?"
haaa,..

you didn't even set up.

I played the day.
Packed.
,..and drove to the next towne.
Ludwigburg.
Played.
Drove to the next towne.
Heilbronn.
Played.
Drove to the next towne.
played,..
drove,
played,..

,..never saw YOU again.

,...except here,.
on the internet.

I'm in Kassel right now.
A bed's waiting.
,..in the waggon.
Hop the plane.
Put up,
or,...

Nö,...
don't shut up.
DON'T SHUT UP.

I honestly,..
thuroughly enjoy your Posts.
("Motivations" is one of my favourite Posts.)

Please continue writing,
sharing your thoughts,..
and doubts.
;..as I hope EVERYONE out there 'trying',
will do.

I enjoy it.
,...breakfast.

https://flic.kr/p/WPF5DF
"Where is this Gallagher Hayes?
I'm beginning to think,
...he doesn't really exist."
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Eric, Yes! I pulled the plug on the project to prove a point. I can care less about trying to "get famous" by working on a project with anyone who consider themselves "famous". I do pretty darn good on my own and I don't need or care about "getting famous". I took your comments to me (back then) as if you were talking down to me. Which is totally not a fair thing for you to have done, but that's neither here nor there, nor will I argue about it on a public forum.

I have a great deal of respect for you, what you do and what you have contributed. The situation was like a kid who looked up to a super hero and then met the super hero only to find out that it was probably better to admire them from afar, instead.

Maybe you consider me a "self-promoting, know little, who constantly blows their own horn all while creating, contributing little of their own. If that applies to you, please, sit down and shut up. You're never going to get anywhere of any worth, by spouting to everyone how good you are. Put up or shut up."

I've got 18 years in this game of performing and I've worked every venue you can imagine except for cruise ships and that's ONLY because I get motion sickness or else, I would find a home there. I think I know a thing or two about how this game works so, here is a link to my website www.VillageIdiotMagic.com

There you will find photos, videos and T.V. appearances from around the country. I think it speaks volumes and I believe people are smart enough to decide for themselves.

www.VillageIdiotMagic.com

There are too many unneeded egos floating around the magic community as it is and that's the exact reason why I remained pretty much an outsider. I don't have time for the drama. However, if it really matters, here is some more stuff you can look up about me: I have contributed effects to the now debunked magic magazine "Channel One" I have also worked on a project with Kenton Knepper and one of my effects, Phaded Photograph, can be found in his book "Lasting Effects" and finally, I did a lecture way back around 2003 however, the lecture notes are long gone and it would probably be next to impossible to find them anymore, however I'm sure someone out there still has them laying around.

Take it for what its worth, but if I wanted to jump on the get famous off other people route, I've had plenty of opportunity, but that's not my style.

Cheers,
Mike
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Michael! As I've said a few times before to a few others who frequent the Café:

>>>>>>>"WE "MUSTA" HAD THE SAME MOTHER!<<<<<<<

Thanks for writing that. "Youse", said it for me, too!
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Dick, You made me smile!

Were both from Chicago...maybe that's got something to do with it!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, here comes that "TARBELL fanatic" again..........

I didn't just study Tarbell, Mr. Evans! I studied June Barrows Mussey (aka Henry Hay)too. I learned a lot from his book(s). I called the "Amateur Magician's Handbook", the "poor man's Tarbell". I've read, and studied most of the classics, too.

BTW, I've been performing magic for $$$ since 1945. I made a full time living in the business for 50 years, and, I never had to ask for work, after my first season! The managers called ME!

I'm not a box/tube,can,pan, magician. Most of my act is ME, and, generic small props, like silks, rope, coins, cards, balls, ETC. The non-generic props, include an egg bag, Inertia, Trouble Wit, Boomerang Sticks, 3 rings, etc. The whole act weighs about 21 lbs.

I've lectured all over the country for rings, assemblies, regional conventions, several national conventions, and several times at the Magic Castle. I've worked the Castle, too. --and, as Jay usta say, "When I can afford it, I'll work it again!"

I've had a Parade in the "I Bother Magicians" magazine, and have written stuff for the "Some Are Magicians" magazine, too.

I've even written a book about the Lyceum Magicians. (I was one, for almost 50 years.) I wrote up most of the tricks/routines that I used to make a living. Most of the routines that I used were developed by ME. I didn't "invent" the TRICKS, I developed PRESENTATIONS that made them ENTERTAINING. More than a few fellow professionals are using some of my material.

To repeat, I didn't invent the TRICKS! Here's a quote from S.H. Sharpe. (You may have heard of him.): "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

I know many magicians from all parts of the country, and some from other continents, too.

I'm wondering, "how come I've never heard of Eric Evans?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
So do you expect a new piano player to be able to write their own music while learning to play?? Or do you expect a new guitar player to be able to create their own riffs?? Of course not!!

Unrealistic expectations ... one must learn to play someone else's music before they can create their own. One must learn how to tune a guitar before they can create chords, otherwise they won't know the sound of the notes.

Give them some time, *** dude ... all up people's crap right off the bat like this, calm down already. It's just a magic trick, stop taking it so seriously or you won't be able to enjoy it. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Amazing. I guess you guys see the words I write but somehow don't understand them. I guess it's my fault, didn't make myself clear enough. Or maybe y'all aint reading the words closely enough. Maybe you are shrouded in a bias of yourselves; looking after your own interests.

Whatever.

However or whatever, you all helped me make my point.

And continue to.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
My apologies Mr. Oslund, I just noticed your latest post here.

For sure, I'm familiar with your story, I've read with interest many of your posts here on the Café, and while I too, never heard of you outside of this venue, have respect for your life of knowledge.

I'd have to disagree with you on Hay though, the Amateur Magician's Handbook is far above a poor mans Tarbell. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is a distilled, and far superior source as compared to Tarbell.

But that's just me I guess.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you! I accept your apology!

Very few magicians, have heard about Lyceum performers. Those of us who performed on the "kerosene lamp circuit, seldom, if ever, got a "line" in "Variety", or the magic magazines, either. But, as Frances Marshall often said, "You are keeping magic alive in the vast open spaces"! Men like Ed Reno, Eugene Laurant, Loring Campbell, Stuart Ross, Harold Sterling, Fetaque Sanders, Doug Couden, C. Thomas Magrum, Roy Mayer, Duke Montague, Tommy Windsor,even J.B. Bobo, were never well known to the public, or, to many magicians. Occasionally, we got mentioned in the local newspaper, but, that's about all.

That's one of the reasons that Jon Racherbaumer kvetched me into writing "Dick Oslund--Road Scholar". We were enjoying a bowl of gumbo in one of New Orleans neat little "out of the way" restaurants when Jon said: "You should write a book!" I responded, "About what?" Jon: "You! Books have been written about the magicians who played the legitimate theaters (Houdini Thurston, Blackstone) the auditoriums (Birch, Virgil) vaudeville (Roy Benson, et al.) even those who played in canvas theaters (Harry Willard) but, no one has written about anyone, who played the knowledge boxes!

So! I bought this "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" and, started writing. I never dreamed, as a teen ager growing up in the Upper Peninsula of Michgan, that I would someday, write a book that is selling, and being read in four continents! It's biographical, historical, and, I think, fun to read. I wrote a hundred + anecdotes about the real "road", and the interesting, funny, sad, and challenging things that happened when one works in the "high grass towns"!

Occasionally I would be booked in a "mid-west metropolis", like Council Bluffs, Iowa, with one or two thousand teen agers in the audience, but, mostly it was in the hamlets, some with unpaved streets, and, one gas station, with 28 students in the Jr. High. I remember playing an elementary in Galata Montana. The teacher (one lady) was going to walk the seven students across the road to the village hall, which had a platform! (It hadn't been heated since the village Christmas party, and it was now late March. I did the program in THE classroom. Two mothers showed up, and a member of the school board, dropped off a package, and, not having anything pressing on his "calendar", stayed, too.

Because many magicians would not buy a "magic book" with no tricks in it, I wrote up the tricks/routines, and, the presentations that I had successfully developed & used for years. (Proven and tested material.)

Now, after almost 50 years of playing the "one horse towns", I'm comfortably retired. --My little 13" x 20" x 8" prop case is still packed and ready to go, but, at my age, I really don't plan to go on the road again.

I didn't mean to disparage J. B. Mussey's "Handbook". In ONE volume, he PACKED a "plethora of prestidigitation"! It will remain a CLASSIC. What I meant was that the guy who couldn't afford the then 6 volumes of the good doctor (a naturopath) would benefit from Hay's single tome, almost as much as Doc's Course!.

The flag just went up! In the circus (yup, I've worked there, too! --I broke in, in a carnie side show.) "the flag is up", means that the cook house is open for breakfast! --"This show" sets a "good table"!

See ya down the road!
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Creativity is overrated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A long time ago... (36 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL