The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » RSVP by Shawn Farquhar (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Disclaimer: I am a fan of Shawn's work, and I know the person(s) behind superhumanz. However, this post is 100% my opinion. Smile

Review of RSVP:

This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck that was performed on P&T: Fooled Us. I repeat, This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck (This is also mentioned TWICE in the product description).

I can kinda see how this can be confusing if you only watched the trailer without fully reading the product description.
You will learn Shawn’s deck switch. THIS is the technique that he uses in many of his other routines, during FISM, P&T:FU etc. This is what is used in Shawn’s Ultimate Invisible Deck (Omni Deck) routine.

I have personally been at the receiving end of this technique, and I didn’t even realize what was happening, until it was too late!

The product description says you’ll learn to perform the OMNI deck aka Shawn’s Ultimate Invisible Deck. Again here, you’ll only learn the deck switch part, Shawn doesn’t do through the “Ambitious card” part of the Ultimate Invisible deck routine.

RSVP itself is a multi-phased routine, which IMO has a nice flow that makes sense.

A group of cards separates by color. Then the whole deck, which have been shuffled, separates by color, then separates by suites. Then finally, the cards are put back in the box, the card BOX is signed (without cellophane), then placed between the spectator’s hands. The seal on the card box then appears to have healed and re-sealed the box. Upon opening and examining the re-sealed card box, you’ll find the whole deck back in new deck order.

The routine is not hard to do at all. Fairly easy I would say, apart from the deck switch, which will, and must take practice.

Tutorials are short, approximately 20 mins. However, instructions are clear, and I had no trouble following. The tutorials are very nicely shot/produced.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2017, yin_howe wrote:
This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck that was performed on P&T: Fooled Us. I repeat, This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck

I can kinda see how this can be confusing if you only watched the trailer without fully reading the product description.

Hmm...I wonder why people are confused...

"This is the trick you’ve been waiting for... The technique FISM World Champion of Magic, Shawn Farquhar used on Penn & Teller’s Fool Us"
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, magic___lover wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2017, yin_howe wrote:
This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck that was performed on P&T: Fooled Us. I repeat, This is NOT the Signed card to Sealed Deck

Hmm...I wonder why people are confused...

"This is the trick you’ve been waiting for... The technique FISM World Champion of Magic, Shawn Farquhar used on Penn & Teller’s Fool Us"

Its does say TECHNIQUE not the actual trick.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, Steven Conner wrote:

Yes, it does, but when you mention Penn and Teller Fool Us in the ad copy, you can't really be surprised that people would assume it is the trick from Penn and Teller's Fool Us.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, magic___lover wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, Steven Conner wrote:

Yes, it does, but when you mention Penn and Teller Fool Us in the ad copy, you can't really be surprised that people would assume it is the trick from Penn and Teller's Fool Us.

Now I'm confused. Are you suggesting I can't mention Penn & Teller's Fool Us in the description of a video that teaches the technique used on Fool Us? I used the technique TWICE in the Fool Us routine and yes they saw one of them, but missed the second..as did just about everyone else I think. My switch technique is invaluable to magicians plus the mulit-phase routine I teach using ideas from David Acer, Sid Lorraine, Aldo Colombini and my idea of sealing the box that is signed makes this offering one of the best I have released. It's many lessons rolled into one. Sure if you don't actually take the time to READ a product description you may make a wrong assumption about what you are buying, but surely you read before you buy, yes?

-shawn
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, Shawn Farquhar wrote:

Now I'm confused. Are you suggesting I can't mention Penn & Teller's Fool Us in the description of a video that teaches the technique used on Fool Us?

I'm not suggesting you can or can't do anything.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Magic___lover, my misunderstanding then... it was the way you suggested that if I "...mention Penn and Teller Fool Us in the ad copy, you can't really be surprised that people would assume it is the trick from Penn and Teller's Fool Us". I thought I make it quite clear that I am teaching the technique I used on Fool Us... which is not the same as trick. I would hope that those who were going to invest in RSVP would be aware of the difference in the words technique and trick. I guess I can be surprised if people don't know this simple difference in nomenclature. All good then... thanks -shawn
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I just got this, excellent production, clear and concise teaching, surprisingly EASY to perform. The deck switch taught has a requirement that will not work for me unfortunately (can't explain why without possibly exposing) , so will have to substitute something else.
Still very happy I got this, and can't be beat for the price with coupon (good only until 9.10.17)
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
I'm always interested to hear about where creators got the inspiration for naming their effects. I wonder if RSVP was inspired by the name of Russ Stevens' company - RSVP?
WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
Palmerston North, New Zealand
72 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
Quote:
Magic___lover, my misunderstanding then... it was the way you suggested that if I "...mention Penn and Teller Fool Us in the ad copy, you can't really be surprised that people would assume it is the trick from Penn and Teller's Fool Us". I thought I make it quite clear that I am teaching the technique I used on Fool Us... which is not the same as trick. I would hope that those who were going to invest in RSVP would be aware of the difference in the words technique and trick. I guess I can be surprised if people don't know this simple difference in nomenclature. All good then... thanks -shawn

With respect when you say "technique" it is ambiguous as to which technique and it is not surprising that some will be misled by thinking you are presenting a different technique. This is especially so when you reference a routine in which there may be several techniques in use.

It would be slightly less ambiguous if you said "A technique I used on ...". Although even that might mislead some.

When you say "The technique..." it makes it seem as if there was only one technique in play. So some might think you are showing how you get a card into a sealed box.

Incidentally I have a technique for getting a card into a sealed card-box. I have no idea whether it is your technique or not nor whether it is anyone else's technique. It is something that I came up with myself. As a disclaimer I have never discussed my technique with anyone nor have I discussed any other techniques for this trick with anyone.
WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
In addition, the routine I use is different for the reason I posted upthread. When I first trialed the effect my victim said that she could tell I had a cellophane covered deck between her hands rather than the deck of cards I claimed. Therefore while I produce a sealed deck with a signed card inside (reversed if required) I do not produce it between a spectators hands.

I am still interested in other's experience with this and similar situations.
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
Dear Wayne ,
In the product description and on the DISCLAIMER at the TOP of the product description , it clearly states that this is NOT the signed card in sealed deck routine .This is mentioned TWICE in the product description. Please do have a look . This is the technique Shawn used on Penn & Teller's Fool Us .

Best ,
David Lai
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
Hi David

I am not complaining. I am just trying to suggest how some might be confused by "the technique" - the technique to switch decks would be clearer.

I agree they should not have jumped to a conclusion but I am also for being as clear as possible.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Is this an instant download or do receive something via mail. I ordered this, and heard nothing via email or otherwise.
???????
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
Hi davidpaul ,
Just PMed , it's via LIVE streaming on the website . Just log in , into the website with your username & password and you will be able to access your performance & tutorial videos . =)

Best ,
David Lai
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Quote:

Shawn,

I am not a card magician at all. I never had the talent to do anymore than the basic tricks and moves. I instead found my niche in mentalism where I utilise my acting ability more to create illusions. But I love watching the guys who can work the cards and one of my favorites I always point people to watch is your signed in sealed deck effect. As Penn said 'that would be a FINE trick' and indeed it is. Which is why I'm happy never ever knowing how this is done because even with a switch (which for me you could have done slow motion in full view because I STILL have no idea how you get the darn signed card back in the same sealed box in the right position) it is truly baffling. And brilliantly presented.

Hence, I'm glad you're not releasing the full trick. I will probably buy this for the switch as well as to offer my support to someone I truly admire. You probably hear it all the time so apologies for the love letter, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to say 'thanks for an awesome routine that I will never not enjoy'. Truly amazing.

Loved the book test fooler too. Well played.

Phil
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

PhilDean, you truly made my day.
Thanks for the kind words and generous praise.
I appreciate that you took the time to write this and no I don't hear it all the time, so it's wonderful when I do.

All the best,

-shawn
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
If, as I assume that it is, the deck switch taught is the same one which Shawn teaches in his Penguin lecture, it is KILLER! I use it regularly, and though I'm not the most facile performer on this board, I have never been caught executing it.

By the way, Shawn has to be the most generous magician/creator with whom I have interacted. Don't want to mention specifics, because I don't want him to be inundated with requests for similar assistance , but Shawn went FAR above and beyond in helping me with one of his effects which I had purchased. The best of the best....
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
257 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Got this and it is a great whole routine where each stage is well woven into the entire act.

Effective version of oil and waters that is well constructed into the overall theme of the trick.
Covers key pointers on the desk switch technique(main reason I got it)

RSVP is a great stand alone effect.
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2017, rosariorose9 wrote:
By the way, Shawn has to be the most generous magician/creator with whom I have interacted. Don't want to mention specifics, because I don't want him to be inundated with requests for similar assistance , but Shawn went FAR above and beyond in helping me with one of his effects which I had purchased. The best of the best....

I have experienced this personally as well. More than once actually.
Shawn is cool! Smile
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » RSVP by Shawn Farquhar (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL