The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups and ball out for the whole show? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Hello All,
Just wondering about this from my busker compeers who perform C&B on the street. Do you leave your C&B set out in a stack from the start or do you bring it out when its time for them.
I've always felt it was a good teaser to leave the finale out so the audience sees there is something coming next..the "what's he going to use those for" idea.
Please share your thoughts,
Thanks!
Bruce
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Don't just leave them out, go beyond that. Use them as an anchor.Let me explain: You build your tip, now, you create an edge by brining them to the chalk line, rope or whatever you use.

Now, they are interested, so use your cups to hold them there. It's simple, hand a cup to three different people. Understand by different people I mean people from three different groups that are standing there. DO NOT give all three cups to one person or to three people from the same group. Then, hand all three balls to one other person from a fourth group. Now, you have 4 groups not only setting your edge, but they are anchored.

Do something to continue building while they are holding your props. When you decide to raise the curtain, that's when you have them bring them props to you.

And that my friend is how to get a bigger audience.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I'm with cbguy here.

There was a time, in the distant past, when the C&B was pretty much the whole show. I pretty much did everything cbguy outlined (I think I read his book). Except the working balls were not handed out as their appearance under each cup started the actual C&B routine.

Prior to he balls appearance there was lots of interaction, lots of humor/banter with the audience, lots of build up. The wand was as much a lead-in trick as anything. It came out of a purse, did someflip-stick stuff. some floating and dancing (I first saw Max Howard in the mid 70s and immediately bought his notes and started performing a version of his wand routine).

By the way I didn't do hat loads or more than 4 final loads then. The cups were not the large "street" cups either. They were humble, inexpensive (even for the day), Bertram (aka Charlie Miller) cups in heavy copper from Magic Incorporated. I paid $60.00 for them in the early 70s. The loads were actual fruit and vegetables (always a turnip - there's a joke in that veggie)

So to answer your question, yes the cups were out for the whole show.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Yes I understand and I have done that on occasion, usually handing out the cups after the routine starts. I produce the 3 balls from the center cup after the stacking and re-stacking to show they are empty. Then I'll hand them out and start the routines, jokes etc. That seems to work well for me, but I will consider modifying the way I work and try handing them out at the start. Happily getting the crowd hasn't been an issue.

My first set I used on the street were the Bertram cups! and I still have and use them....Love the shape weight and look esp after 20 yrs of street work

keep the info coming.....
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Gasso sometimes has his cups oit for half an hour before starting thee routine.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
It just struck me funny,
the Idea of having 'the Cups'
the whole Show 'out there',..
and never using them(!).

Maybe, even pick them up,
now and again....

Maybe even,
a larger,
more absurd prop...
like a chain saw(!)..
just sitting there,
the whole time,
on your presentation table!

I find it would be a great table magic gag, as well!
Coming to a table,..
"blunk"!
,..laying down your old fashioned type-writer...🙃
,going into your favourite card routines....🙃
gallagher
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
K_S_E, thanks!
Made me smile,..
and remember this:
https://youtu.be/GXmqCyKhZtw

1995, this came out,
in the film 'Before Sunrise'.
An unbelievible 4 minutes.
,..it seems to go on forever,..
the text,...every word,.thought,..
very powerfull.
It really hit me hard.

The talk about 'competetion'..
the thoughts about 'carrying one another',..
the last scene: he gives a handfull of coins,...she give 'paper'..

it really blew me away.
https://youtu.be/GXmqCyKhZtw

(Sorry Bruce,..dr. molar.
didn't mean to jump the braces! 😬)
gallagher

p.s.:
(Daydream Delusion)
"Limousine Eyelash
Oh, baby with your pretty face
Drop a tear in my wineglass
Look at those big eyes
See what you mean to me
Sweet cakes and milkshakes
I am a delusion angel
I am a fantasy parade
I want you to know what I think
Don’t want you to guess anymore
You have no idea where I came from
We have no idea where we’re going
Lodged in life
Like two branches in a river
Flowing downstream
Caught in the current
I’ll carry you, you’ll carry me
That’s how it could be
Don’t you know me?
Don’t you know me by now?"

,...sometimes, I look through my audience,
with these feelings,
in mind.
"..we have no idea where we're going.."
"I'll carry you,..you'll carry me.."
,...that's how it could be.

p.p.s.: A 'delusion' is a belief that is held with strong conviction, despite superior evidence to the contrary.
,....is this not the 'basis' of our craft?
,..our hope?
,...our 'way'?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Gallagher,

I thought you might like the girl with the typewriter. She is very unique. I liked the video it was beautiful. Especially the poem. Was the woman from Europe while the man from the USA. If so that could have some meaning behind the tip and perceived value
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups and ball out for the whole show? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL