The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » IceBreaker by Francis Girola (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
KLMind
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
18 Posts

Profile of KLMind
I have just received this. I have tested this in a couple of close-up sets and the reactions are great. This is a good opener for a small group!
Lancy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Lancy
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2017, Svengali83 wrote:
LOL! Thanks for the kind comments! ^^ Glad you like the effect hope you have a lot of fun with it! Smile

Just one quick thing concerning the 88 cards, you do not need to carry all of them to perform the effect. As a matter of fact, IceBreaker used to be sold in two separate sets of 44 cards. This time, you receive the full set (for a much lower price!) which gives a larger choice of statements and enables you to use as many spectators as possible. Smile

Just one quick comment if the cards go for a reprint.......id have a look at your use of the word "movies" and use of the word "film". Being UK based I know where this problem comes from but without giving too much away ive had a couple of spec issues involving those two words.....i hope that makes sense to you. If not feel free to fire me a PM.
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Lancy wrote:
Quote:
LOL! Thanks for the kind comments! ^^ Glad you like the effect hope you have a lot of fun with it! Smile

Just one quick thing concerning the 88 cards, you do not need to carry all of them to perform the effect. As a matter of fact, IceBreaker used to be sold in two separate sets of 44 cards. This time, you receive the full set (for a much lower price!) which gives a larger choice of statements and enables you to use as many spectators as possible. Smile

Just one quick comment if the cards go for a reprint.......id have a look at your use of the word "movies" and use of the word "film". Being UK based I know where this problem comes from but without giving too much away ive had a couple of spec issues involving those two words.....i hope that makes sense to you. If not feel free to fire me a PM.

I am also based in the UK and I have never had this problem before (and no one else has reported it to me either). I am actually not quite sure why there would be any issue with those words during performance. Are you saying that your spectator freely interchanged the words "movie" and "film" when you asked them to read out statements written on the card? That sounds a bit odd. In any case, out of 88 statements comprised in the IceBreaker set, only 2 would be relevant:

- LOVE/DON'T LIKE HORROR MOVIES
- HAVE BEEN IN A FILM

Therefore, should this problem ever occur (which I think is fair to say is EXTREMELY rare), it shouldn't be difficult to remember the original phrasing of those two sentences and work your way up from there. Technically, I could solely make use of the word "film" for both statements but then an American performer could easily have the opposite issue. I believe it's much easier to just remember the sentences that you might personally find confusing. And after a few performances, you will naturally memorise the whole stack anyway.

On that note, I'd like to address the "ambiguous card" that RJS was mentioning in one of his previous posts. Having spoken with him, I believe it's exactly the same case. His issue was with the word "video game", which he somehow spelled "videogame" in his mind. I'm not quite sure in which part of the world that would be spelled in one word, but again if you take the time to read through the whole list of statements and examine the ones that you find potentially tricky (there should not be many at all), you won't have any more problems afterwards. Smile
thomasP
View Profile
Regular user
France
116 Posts

Profile of thomasP
Is it planned to be available for other languages ?
I'm french...Sorry !
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
107 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, thomasP wrote:
I'm french...Sorry !

Also like to know. I'm brazilian.
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, thomasP wrote:
I'm french...Sorry !

Salut,

I'm originally from France too and I can confirm that IceBreaker will soon be available in French! Actually, the cards are ready, they just need to be sent for printing. I do not have a precise release date at the moment as I am currently working on different projects at the same time, but I reckon it should come out in early 2018.

Stay tuned on this space, I'll keep you posted when I have more details! Smile

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, qualysoft wrote
Also like to know. I'm brazilian.

I was born in Brazil too... LOL! However, I don't speak Portuguese and I do not currently intend to release a version of IceBreaker in that language. Nevertheless, you are welcome to translate the original cards and make up your own set for your personal use. That will definitely require some time and patience, yet I know that some mentalists already did the same in languages such as Spanish and Dutch.
Lancy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Lancy
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2017, Svengali83 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Lancy wrote:
Quote:

I am also based in the UK and I have never had this problem before (and no one else has reported it to me either). I am actually not quite sure why there would be any issue with those words during performance. Are you saying that your spectator freely interchanged the words "movie" and "film" when you asked them to read out statements written on the card? That sounds a bit odd. In any case, out of 88 statements comprised in the IceBreaker set, only 2 would be relevant:

- LOVE/DON'T LIKE HORROR MOVIES
- HAVE BEEN IN A FILM

Therefore, should this problem ever occur (which I think is fair to say is EXTREMELY rare), it shouldn't be difficult to remember the original phrasing of those two sentences and work your way up from there. Technically, I could solely make use of the word "film" for both statements but then an American performer could easily have the opposite issue. I believe it's much easier to just remember the sentences that you might personally find confusing. And after a few performances, you will naturally memorise the whole stack anyway.

Please don't take my comment as a major complaint, I'm very happy with the product and it all round works great. The problem I mentioned has happened a couple of times now with different specs but I think that's mainly as my usual audience seem to like the movie cards.

The problem only arrises when you read out three phrases that would all appear to be lies, now I'm aware of it I know what has happened and can call out the truth successfully, so more of a niggle than a problem.

I would still buy the product again I just thought id bring it to your attention, hopefully the fact noone else has mentioned it might mean its just a north of england thing.....we like a good "film".

best wishes
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
162 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
This sounds good and the reviews all seem to be positive, I may just have to take the plunge and make a purchase
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
Lancy wrote:

I would still buy the product again I just thought id bring it to your attention, hopefully the fact noone else has mentioned it might mean its just a north of england thing.....we like a good "film".

best wishes

And in Scotland, where I'm based right now, people like "going tae the pictures"! LOL! Smile
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2017, Luke Jonas wrote:
This sounds good and the reviews all seem to be positive, I may just have to take the plunge and make a purchase

Speaking of positive reviews, here is the latest one by Ekaterina Dobrokhotova:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8JYAqAG2qw

;-)
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of rjs
I voted Icebreaker as the trick of the year for 2017.
Jamie D Grant's poll can be found in Tricks and Effects.
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, rjs wrote:
I voted Icebreaker as the trick of the year for 2017.
Jamie D Grant's poll can be found in Tricks and Effects.

Wow! Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated! Smile
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Svengali83, have send you a PM.
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
IceBreaker highly recommended by Jheff (Market Place Of The Mind) as one of the best products of the year 2017:

Quote:
(Newsletter)
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS WHICH ARE DEFINITELY AMONG THE BEST OF THE YEAR AND NOT QUITE ON MY TOP TEN:

ICEBREAKER - Francis *Girola*
http://marketplaceofthemind.com/products/icebreak/

I really, really love this, but there's been a fair amount of backlash with this effect which involves faux game cards that list statements about the game players and you must deduce whether the statement is true or false. The cards look professional and realistic and I have no problem with the fact that the game isn't real. Also, I noticed some qualities about these cards and came up with an entirely new presentation that's even more streamlined and straightforward than what's written in the instructions. I could certainly see that some may not be as enthused about these cards if they just read the instructions and performed it as is. But I saw the potential and this has become one of my favorites for the year.

(I was going to post a screenshot of the original email but there doesn't seem to be a way to display pictures on here)
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, Svengali83 wrote:
IceBreaker highly recommended by Jheff (Market Place Of The Mind) as one of the best products of the year 2017 (...)

Nearly made it to Jheff's TOP 10 Mentalism Effects of 2017! (Cf. Market Place Of The Mind) Still a great review, though. I'm really honoured to have been mentioned! Smile

Yet, one thing that surprises me a little is the fact that Jheff mentions there has been "a fair amount of backlash with the effect". Since the official release in September 2017, I have personally encountered nothing but positive feedback about IceBreaker, both online and in person when I meet other performers at conventions. As a matter of fact, I know at least a couple of people who regularly use the effect not just in their professional mentalism repertoire but also in their day jobs (group trainings, etc.), which shows how deceptive it can be.

Jheff seems to imply that a certain number of people might have been complaining about the fact that the cards themselves look too much like a board game. I have personally never come across this type of comment before but if you do think this way, here is my answer: Well, erm... that was kind of the point when I designed the deck in the first place!

In the UK at least, most people have heard of this game ("Two Truths And A Lie" or "Two Lies And One Truth"). There is even a famous TV show based on that ("Would I Lie To You"). If they are not familiar with the concept, they instantly get the idea when you start explaining it. In performance, the cards are used as a visual aid to facilitate the selection process. In other words, the subtext is the following: "If I asked you to come up with three different statements about yourself right now, it might be difficult for you to do it on the spot. Thus, let us use these cards to help you". So, the deck is now justified but it also needs to have an implicit background story on its own. Basically, the question is: "Why would you have those cards in the first place? Where do they come from?" For me, the best answer is to casually imply that this is a genuine ice-breaking board game that you can play with your friends at parties, for instance. No, "the game is not real" in the sense that people cannot buy those very cards anywhere, but if they ever take the trouble to go on Amazon to check out the game, they will find tons of similar items. Plus, the effect should not be about the deck anyway. Instead, it should essentially focus on your seeming ability to tell the truth from a lie.

Although it outlines several routines (by me and other performers), the instructional manual covers the very basic applications of the cards, which you can use in many ways depending on your imagination and personal style of performance. Furthermore, we also have a private IceBreaker owners' group on Facebook that enables people to share new ideas. Like Jheff, over the past few months, we have found many different handlings, routines and presentations using the cards (and there is much more to come, including a performance and explanation video), which allows you to take the effect in several directions. If you have IceBreaker and have not yet joined the group, I highly recommend you do it now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/114772202542022/

Once again, really pleased with this really positive review and I hope to have answered some worries that people had about the cards. Smile
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Question on this - watching the video it seems like the performer in theory could have memorized the 'truth' side of all 88 cards and picked out the truth through memorization the card they selected. Would that be a correct statement ?
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Will there be a 2 truths 1 lie version?
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2018, magic maniac wrote:
Question on this - watching the video it seems like the performer in theory could have memorized the 'truth' side of all 88 cards and picked out the truth through memorization the card they selected. Would that be a correct statement ?

Thanks for your question. I can answer in two ways:

1) I can confirm that there is NO memorisation of any kind with IceBreaker. The method is super easy to work with and, as soon as you know the secret, you can perform the effect instantly. However, for everyone else, the system is virtually undetectable. I know professional mentalists who spent several days trying to work it out just by examining the cards and failed to find the method. ^^

2) As far as the audience is concerned, having all the cards memorised could NOT be a possible solution. In performance, the deck can be shuffled to ensure there is no particular order. Each face displays a single statement (which represent the "truths" that spectators must choose from). On the back is the list of the *other* cards they could have picked and that are present in the pack. This represents the "lies", spectators can select as many as you wish and they must then read out their truth within those lies in any order they want. Therefore, you could not have memorised the entire pack since the list of "lies" on the back is not unique to one particular card.

Hope this makes sense. Don't hesitate to ask if things are still not clear. Smile
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2018, wchoo002 wrote:
Will there be a 2 truths 1 lie version?

No need for a special version, you can already do that with IceBreaker:

1) Have you spectators choose a lie from the statements displayed on the face.

2) Have them select two truths from the list on the back.

3) Have them read out their two truths and one lie in any order they wish.

In performance, if you use several spectators, you could even alternate between the following demonstrations:

1) One truth and a lie.

2) One truth and two lies.

2) Two truths and a lie.

Finally, for those of you who don't know how the effect works (yet), there is of course the possibility for the spectator to choose as many statements as you wish from the list displayed on the back of every card. Consequently, you could technically play a game of "One Truth and Seven Lies" for instance. Smile
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Review:

Just received the deck. I could perform it immediately upon reading the instructions. Very smart technique indeed.
The effect is also great since you can play it as an icebreaker game when going around tables.

Design:
The designs make it look like an actual card game. The font and font size are good so that one can read it easily.
The box however was plain white. Would be better if the box also looked like a game box.

Playing 2 truths 1 lie instead:
This deck is originally built for 1 truth and 2 lies. In country however, only 2 truths 1 lie is common. It is however harder to use the cards to play this instead harder for a few reasons. First is due to the design of the ticks and crosses. On the back is 1 ticked statement and many crossed statements to choose form. It is odd to pick 1 lie which is a ticked statement and 2 truths which are crossed statements. Second, it is quite hard to find 2 truths on the back of the card.

Card content:
I like that the cards were not so generic. Eg. "Have 2 dogs" is quite specific. Some of the cards though were very hard to fulfill (at least from where I'm from). For example, "Grow most of my own food" and "afraid of escalators" I think is rare. I removed 27 cards from the deck which I think are unlikely to apply to my audiences. That said, there's still so many other cards to choose from and you will not need so many during a performance.
The cards also include starsigns and colors, so this can play well if you need information that can help in other routines (eg. birthday reveal).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » IceBreaker by Francis Girola (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL