The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Interesting Article (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I thought I'd just share this for anyone who is interested - I thought it was a good read as it conveyed both the layman's takeaway from R. Paul Wilson's set and the magician's perspective offered by Troy as he looked at getting established:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruise......-at-sea/

I thought that number 2 on Troy's list was also interesting - I'm not on television, nor do I aspire to it as I don't want that level of fame - but I took my son to get his tonsils out the other day and was recognized by the surgeon. I went to the caves in Nottingham a week before that and was recognized by the tour guide. In each case, I was given an eager greeting and asked to do something for everyone. I didn't have anything on me in either situation, but anyone who knows my approach to mentalism (or has seen my Penguin Live Lecture) knows that I'm always prepared to perform with nothing about me but my wits. In each instance, things went very well.

Number 4 on the list was, in my experience, also true and anyone who performs for a living will quickly discover the difference between other performers who are truly altruistic friends and the occasional selfish party who only calls when they need something from you - often failing to recognize numbers six and nine on Troy's list, which my experience has also borne out as being true. But it is thoroughly possible to build a good group of friends who pass work back and forth and truly help you to achieve your goals.

And, of course, I'm a big fan of R. Paul Wilson as I find con men fascinating in their approach to problem solving and so it was fun to read another's thoughts and opinions on the man.

Best,

Atlas
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Great article Atlas. Very insightful. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with all the points made by Troy. Number 6 in particular is crucial not only in terms of behavior during presentation... but even the negotiation, the marketing, etc. The business part of it is much heavier than a lot of people think.

I was also going to post a big text on number 4 but I guess the situation is too personal. All I'll say is that it's also true. There are malicious/selfish people in our business but honestly, life shows me time and time again that you reap what you sow.

Cheers,

Max
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2483 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
The Crystal gig doesn't pay yet they are getting recognizable names to do it (also Joshua Jay)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
77 Posts

Profile of RiBo
I always find this sort of article interesting, at least the sidebar. I thought the feedback of the author's impressions was interesting, though the writing was blase (to me at least).
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1940 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Interesting article, Atlas. Thanks for sharing this.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Interesting Article (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL