The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Does Jacking Shipping Prices Up When There's a Sale Upset You? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
So there is a magic shop with a strong online presence that has regular sales of 33-35 percent off. They have a great website with lots of interesting diverse stock. But what upsets me is when they have their "sales", they jack the pricing of shipping up threefold! So unless you are buying something very big or expensive, there is no net savings. With the quality sites like Penguin and Vanishing Inc. who take care of their customers well, I think it is wrong to triple your shipping cost when you have a sale. Anyone else notice this?
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
That was pretty much the plot of the only episode of The Waltons (or was it Little House on the Prairie?) that I ever watched:

The owner of the general store ran a sale, but jacked up the all prices first. The townfolk were pretty steamed when they realized what was going on.

The story's message was that it was a deceptive and sleazy thing to do.

My answer would be to shop elsewhere, and not be shy about telling people why.

One might also ask loudly and publicly how their supposed cost of shipping could possibly fluctuate so severely while the post office's rates remain constant. After all, no customer likes to be gouged for shipping.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I have purchased many items from the dealer and never noticed any shipping disparities.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Delmagic, if the dealer you are thinking of never did this,
How do you know who the dealer is? Smile
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Does this site start with the letter M😊?
Jack Skipton
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
I stopped purchasing from on online dealer for this very reason, possibly even the one you're referring to.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
An "H"....
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I knew who you meant because of the 33-35% off sales. I only know one who does that regularly and I don't mean Hewlett-Packard.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
$19.00 plus during sale to my house, $15.00 plus to my work zip code - but same items just over $6.00 post sale.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I noticed the same thing, what was normally $8.00 shipping jumped to $19.00
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but is it "shipping" or "Shipping and Handling"
Not everyone understands what all goes into the handling part, so they see how much shipping costs and think they get screwed.

Have you approached the dealer to see what might he the issue? Approach it like they aren't robbers and possibly it would make sense.

Also, you get the final price with shipping and handling before you check out, and are easily able to scratch the order if you don't like it.

Unless these magic props are a life and death issue, shopping around wouldn't hurt, and you're never FORCED to pay the charges until you agree to them.

I really can't see how this is a serious problem.
Edit: unless you have already asked them to explain and was told it was a plan to take over the world and ending in the extermination of all squirrels or something.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Josh, you don't think it's odd to jack up shipping prices when you have a "sale"? That's the point. Shipping and handling on the same items jacks up threefold. Without notice. That's wrong. And I do think I'll buy from other suppliers. The point is the shipping goes up only when there is a "sale" making it not really so much of a sale - without telling you what they are doing. Sketchy at best.... (and yes, I've expressed to the dealer I would buy more from them if their shipping wasn't inflated)
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
If it is the dealer I think it is, I've purchased there many times over the years during sales and never seen the shipping/handling costs increase. It's very possible this was just a glitch that one time. Did you contact the dealer before complaining about it here by any chance?

Jim
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2017, J-Mac wrote:
If it is the dealer I think it is, I've purchased there many times over the years during sales and never seen the shipping/handling costs increase. It's very possible this was just a glitch that one time. Did you contact the dealer before complaining about it here by any chance?

Jim

Happened multiple times and yes, contacted. No reply. It's strategic and others have had it happen too. Just disappointed in the sketchy practice.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
I have been doing business with the company that starts with an "H" for years and years. I have never had that issue, or any issue. I have had no issues communicating with them by phone or by E-mail. They give you multiple options for shipping that you yourself choose. It is pretty simple to not order from them if you don't like them. It is a completely different thing to post on a public forum bashing them about "sketchy practice" without any proof...
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I agree with gumbimagic. I have purchased many and I do do mean many items without an issue on shipping. Also I really don't think it is an easy task to switch the automatic pricing on the program for shipping every time there is a a sale. Also a lot depends on the item. If it weighs more than another sale item then obviously it will cost more to ship. I have no connections with H magic dealer other than a happy customer.

Ron
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Guys, I buy from the dealer but you are missing the point. Put a couple items in the cart and see what the shipping will be. Then do the same items when there is a sale. You will get a significantly increased amount. This has happened to me the last three times. If you haven't tried it, you can't address my point. I appreciate your loyalty to the vendor (which I purposely don't name). But don't miss the point. Is it wrong to jack up shipping three times just because you are having a "sale". The vendor will be a better vendor if they don't try to make a profit in a questionable manner. Please try what I said and address that point. I think that practice is wrong.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
To answer the OP's question, yes it does upset me. However there is nothing you can do about it. They have a right to sell and charge whatever they want for shipping "and handling." Apparently when something is on sale they have to handle it more. I think dealers can learn a lot from Penguin and MJM about what people want. I think most people prefer free shipping even if there is a minimum purchase amount to get it.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I agree with Paul... I buy almost everything from Penguin because of the free shipping. I mean why wouldn't I? They also have an insanely fast shipping time.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
It doesn't upset me at all because it doesn't happen to me. I just did your test. I put two items in the cart during their 33% sale that ended today at 12 p.m. PST today. A 3 disc DVD set and a DVD. Shipping and handling was $5.25. I just did it again after the sale is off. Same two items. Same results. $5.25 for shipping and handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Does Jacking Shipping Prices Up When There's a Sale Upset You? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL