The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » thread from stomach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

banshee
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of banshee
Does anyone have any idea where to get any good information on this effect?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4465 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Swami/Mantra.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
daleshrimpton
View Profile
Regular user
the u.k
135 Posts

Profile of daleshrimpton
If you are going to do this, in the traditional way, I do hope that you have a reasonably high tolerance to pain.
Personally I think this type of geek magic should be left well alone. Audiences actually don't like watching it.
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
I disagree.

Audiences do like Geek, as long as they're the RIGHT audience.

Some people love seeing weird & disgusting things. Hey, it's a *** sight more interesting than watching the frilly shirt brigade pull rabbits out of various orifices!

Penn & Teller, have made a living from using side-show stuff! Go figure..

Sorry to go off the thread but I get annoyed at people who bemoan Extreme (Geek) all the time.

Mark
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5359 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are people who will tell you they hate extreme or physical side show acts (Geek Magic) and will watch as a sword swallower does his/her act, or a busker dance on glass, or a good blockhead act. I don’t know of anyone who won’t stop and watch a fire breather do his/her thing.

Johnny Fox has been playing the Maryland Renaissance Fair with a combination of Skill magic (his coin manipulation is second to none! And I go simply to watch his cups and balls – which by the way – Johnny is credited with inventing the much used elevator move!), Block head, body skewering, and Arm Twisting stunts (the best lines and presentations I have ever seen and I seek out this kind of act! Er…for historical purposes…er…).

And all of that to support his main act, which is sword, swallowing! He has the best act of the kind I have ever seen!

The point is that many of the over 200,000 per year fair goers return year after year just to see Johnny’s act. He plays it with broad humor and warns us all it will be disgusting (“But you’ll watch!” he quips!).

I find that some people do not like this type of act. However, I believe that they are in a minority. I doubt if this type of act plays well at a birthday party (unless for teenagers!). This is akin to slowing down to see the injuries at a traffic accident. We are all morbidly curious and the EXtreme performers play on that!

Some performers of this “side-show” stuff have discovered a rich market in college age youth. There are at least four traveling, new-age, sideshows making the college circuit in the USA. The youth of this country seem to relish in pushing their physical and mental limits. They truly enjoy watching some one do the physical impossible.

I am an old salt and find that my Sideshow performances are better received today than they were in the 60’s or 70’s. Two weeks ago I hit a small town craft fair. I have played this summer-art-fest for the past 5 years as a magician. This year there were three other young magicians hired to do stand-up and to work the street and two “magic” clowns. I talked to them all and found that many of my effects were going to be performed by one or more of these guys. So I went to my car, pulled out my drum of glass and my torches, hit the pump for some kerosene, got a couple of sight gag items that I carry (skewer through the tongue etc) and did an EXtreme act! I did one set of fire eating and one set of glass walking on stage (yes I got cut! I always take it to the edge! Pun intended!) And worked the streets alternating the two acts. The hats were good! As good as previous years doing magic and as good as the other magicians and clowns did! The balloon-twisting clown did the best of us all. She was selling her creations as well as taking tips for her clown magic performances.

The organizers were pleased with the crowd reactions to my act and asked if I would consider the same act next year. The crowds were very receptive. They were a mix of folks, young and old, very rich and not so rich (and me – poor!), black, white, yellow and red, serious and fun loving. It was a true cross section of small town Americana! And they watched!

I agree that this is a niche market for clearly what is a niche e acts. But let it be known that there is a good market right now for them. I suspect that the interest will peak over the next few years and the market will shrink again only to come back when we get a new generation of jaded youth.

Then again, Magic itself is a small niche market. It has experienced a nice steady growth in interest over the past 15 years or so, but make no mistake about it most people, given a choice, would rather go to a car race than watch a magician.

The beauty here is that this world is wide and varied. There is room for all of the "little guys" somewhere. Clowns, Punch and Judy performers, Ventriloquists, Hypnotists, mentalists (and mental magicians), stage illusionists, stand-up magicians, close-up magicians, and yes even EXtreme Magic (Geek) performers. Personally, I love them all. If it is on the fringe then I want to see it done! I am one of those guys that will buy a ticket to see the headless lady or drop a buck in the hat at a Punch & Judy show! Someone has to help keep all this stuff alive.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
FWIW, the one performer I've met who does this very rarely does it anymore because of the amount of scar tissue he's developed from doing it continuously for some amount of time. Just something to keep in mind.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
I believe that this effect is known as "The Brammo Thread Mystery." Magician Jay Humann is currently performing this effect. He is touring with an East Coast Side Show at the moment, so the effect goes right along with the Geek stuff.

I saw him perform it live, and I must say, it is quite painful looking... as in reality, it is. This effect is right up Jay's alley!

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » thread from stomach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL