The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Propless Mentalism? (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Based on feedback from around the world, my "In Your Pocket" is incredibly effective - especially as a lead in to more complicated demonstrations.

However, 32% of responders say they will NOT perform it - either because they lack the confidence to do it, or they fear it will overshadow later demonstrations.

Yes, if you "know" it will work it does! If you have any doubts, don't do it. That alone makes it powerful (Yoda - don't try, do!)

Still free for the asking at ken@eversway.com with a commitment to feedback to me so that I can create better effects/descriptions.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
Not sure if "the best" but the one I use constantly is Tequila Hustler, although I never use it as a stand alone effect rather than a something extra when performing some other closeup effect.
The most surprising and entertaining for me is hypnosis.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, Harrybowman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, StuartPalm wrote:
What a great promotional thread for a new book/routine. Going for the "best" of anything based on an online thread would be like trying to learn to slam dunk before anything else about basketball. There is a ton of fantastic propless work out there but it would all be worthless to you if you don't know where best to use it or how to use it. Start with Psychological Subtleties by Banachek and go from there. If you need help developing find someone who works that way and get some mentoring in it.

Stuart the guy is asking about the best propless effects. Not about where to start. I do believe as you do that he is a beginner and your advice is making sense but his question is unambiguous.

Yes, I understand that. There is a long history of people who are new to forums asking for the "best" of things. This yeilds discussion and a list of things to look into as we well see, but in our arts of performance we all will have different "best" effects for any genre. So Instead of getting a long list of ideas and things to read and watch, we could better give direction if we know WHY a propless effect is the focus. What is being performed in what context in your routine or show? Let us know more on your direction and we can better give ideas.

Most of the effects being called "propless" today are best performed as a compliment to something else that usually involves some kind of prop, such as getting the star sign for a person who they are thinking of (and whose name they wrote down.) and then revealing both pieces of information.

For another direction to think on, what constitutes a prop?
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
"Propless." Hmmm.

Performers seem to be fascinated with 'propless' these days. You COULD endlessly probe some poor spectator and magically (and yes...I DO mean 'magically') divine the word they are thinking of after only 238 questions. You COULD also lay out an impossibly complex scenario with rules for each and every answer...and memorize the endless 'if he says this...I must do this' variations.

If you mean IMPROMPTU, I would lean toward Cold Reading or Contact Mind Reading if the group tended to be on the serious attentive side.

If it's a lighter feeling and you don't consider a piece of paper a 'prop' I'd suggest the exquisite 50:50 Fantasia by Iain Rowland or a very basic Center T*ar.

Find something you are comfortable with -- especially as a newly minted performer -- and have fun with it. There are a lot of very good options out there....many listed here in this thread.

Hopefully this is helpful...and please note I was (mostly) kidding about the BA's and complicated lie detection methods.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Max Maven explored this concept of propless mentalism in the "Nothing DVDs" if I'm not mistaken?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
ronzo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of ronzo
Not really. Max used props like paper, pens and envelopes that were easily available anywhere. No special magic props.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
To me the so called "best" propless work is that of cold reading.

True story! To hone my chops and while living in a major metropolitan city, I would board the metro and approach ppl and just tell them about themselves. Sometimes it got me dates other time bookings but it was just a way to practice my observations skills and use my Wonder Words.

People like it when you can tell them things you shouldn't know so long, as it's not too personal.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, ronzo wrote:
Not really. Max used props like paper, pens and envelopes that were easily available anywhere. No special magic props.

Are paper and pen really considered as props?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1699 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, Looch wrote:
The best propless piece of mentalism I've seen is Train Tracking... and that's by a LONG shot.

There are other interesting propless approaches but I often feel they should be peppered into other, more classical routines to create a well rounded hybrid approach.

Looch, you believe in boot kicking people directly into the deep end I see lol.
I've never been intimidated by a piece of mentalism since digesting Train Tracking.
Hands down the absolute best purchase ever.
In a fire, some people would grab 13 Steps.
I'd grab Train Tracking.

But, this reminds me of an old quote I came across, and it applies here;

"Mentalism ain't cheap, ain't easy, ain't for beginners"
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1718 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I'm with Slim on this one. Palmistry isn't terribly hard to learn, there's no "trick" to it, and you don't have to tell people what it is.

I do add a small prop in the form of a tic sheet the size of a double business card, but that's only to help me keep them short and punchy. Without it, folks can expect much longer consultations.

If you learn to read palms, you can also learn to like people more, to approach them confidently, and to relate to different walks of life with empathy. I'm not in the market, but I can see how it would be a very effective way to get a date, too.

Patrick
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I'm with Slim on this one. Palmistry isn't terribly hard to learn, there's no "trick" to it, and you don't have to tell people what it is.

I do add a small prop in the form of a tic sheet the size of a double business card, but that's only to help me keep them short and punchy. Without it, folks can expect much longer consultations.

If you learn to read palms, you can also learn to like people more, to approach them confidently, and to relate to different walks of life with empathy. I'm not in the market, but I can see how it would be a very effective way to get a date, too.

Patrick

Yes, but what prop-less mentalism do you like?
Owen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Owen
The Naked Mentalism books by Jon Thompson are very good IMO
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Luke Jermay’s 3510 details all the work on his brilliant Touching On Hoy routine. As the name suggests it combines two fairly simple, yet extremely clever, methods to create what is, quite possibly the strongest propless mind reading routine out there. Touching on Hoy was originally published in Jermay’s The Coral Fang although, to his own admission, all of the cunning details and subtleties are laid bare in chapter 6 of 3510. There are also some new ideas that can take the routine even further. In my opinion Touching On Hoy - The Real Work is worth the price of the book in and of itself.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2322 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Touching on Hoy is also further developed in Jermay's Mind. Or rather, the further developments are explained. It's a set of methods that he has spent a lot of time and energy on.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
It’s been said, and I’ll say it again: Train Tracking.

Also, when I don’t have a lot of time or I don’t want to peform T.T. yet, I’ll do Peter Turner’s Phantom Dictionary Test.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11628 Posts

Profile of John C
Hold me back...no, no don't hold me back...

The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2019, John C wrote:
Hold me back...no, no don't hold me back...

I've heard good things....(I don't think it really exists, tho)

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
216 Posts

Profile of debjit
My new trick, The Social Prediction, is also a good propless mentalism effect. My favorite is DFB.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
131 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, debjit wrote:
My new trick, The Social Prediction, is also a good propless mentalism effect. My favorite is DFB.

Can this really be described as propless?

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, Dr Ross wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, debjit wrote:

Can this really be described as propless?

- Ross

Exactly what I was about to say.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Propless Mentalism? (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL