The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » That, gentlemen, is sportsmanship (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Last Saturday (9/2/17), USC played Western Michigan at the Coliseum. It was a struggle for USC (favored by 26.5 points) at the beginning, but with just over 3 minutes left in the game they scored a touchdown; they were ahead by a score of 48 to 31.

USC called a time out.

No team calls a time out when they score a touchdown; the clock is stopped, so there's no reason to do so.

USC's coach talked to the referee, who talked to Western Michigan's coach. USC was about to put in a very special player for the extra point.

Jake Olson joined the Trojans in 2015 as a long snapper: field goals and extra points.

Jake Olson has been blind since the age of 12, losing his sight to a rare form of cancer.

The snap was perfect, and USC's kicker scored the extra point.

The sportsmanship was on the part of Western Michigan's defense: they didn't rush the kicker. Apparently they agreed that they wouldn't risk bowling over the blind snapper in an attempt to block a kick that, honestly, didn't matter.

Jake Olson was a long snapper for Orange Lutheran High School, which is about 8 miles from my home. The best man at my wedding attended Orange Lutheran.

This was the first time that Jake played in a real game.

USC and, especially, Western Michigan, should be given props galore for allowing this remarkable young man to display his talents to a stadium full of devoted fans.

That, gentlemen, is sportsmanship.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The only sad part is how rare such stories are.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That was really great to see (thanks, Youtube).

Here is a sports(wo)manship that I thought was very special, too:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » That, gentlemen, is sportsmanship (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL