The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Josh Jay @ Reel Magic! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, BCE wrote: Can this be downloaded onto cell phone or tablet for personal (non-commercial) viewing or is it streaming-only?

No, streaming-only. However, there are twenty lecture notes that can be downloaded.

If it's streaming-only, then I'm gonna pass and not consider Reel Magic until they can treat me like a legit customer and not like a pirate looking to rip them off. I tried the "free preview" weekend a few months ago, and while there was some good content, I didn't like having to be tethered to my computer to view anything. If Reel Magic wants to be the Blockbuster Video in the era of Hulu and Netflix, that says to me they really don't want my business. It's that simple.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, BCE wrote:
If Reel Magic wants to be the Blockbuster Video in the era of Hulu and Netflix, that says to me they really don't want my business. It's that simple.

That makes no sense as those are both streaming platforms.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:
If Reel Magic wants to be the Blockbuster Video in the era of Hulu and Netflix, that says to me they really don't want my business. It's that simple.

A better example would be Penguin/Vanishing/everyone else lets customers download content for their personal, non-commercial use to watch on their cell phones and transfer to tablet, etc., without any hassle. That's where all the online magic retailers are trending.

I don't appreciate being treated like some hacker who's going to rip off Reel Magic over $5. Why can't I be trusted to download the lecture to my cell phone for my own personal use? I don't see how it's a sustainable business model when there are so many other online magic retailers who trust their customers more.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:

A better example would be Penguin/Vanishing/everyone else lets customers download content for their personal, non-commercial use to watch on their cell phones and transfer to tablet, etc., without any hassle. That's where all the online magic retailers are trending.

I don't appreciate being treated like some hacker who's going to rip off Reel Magic over $5. Why can't I be trusted to download the lecture to my cell phone for my own personal use? I don't see how it's a sustainable business model when there are so many other online magic retailers who trust their customers more.

Because you get access to ALL the content on the reel magic site, not just one simple download that you bought...The other sites are are not giving you access to everything on their site because they wont have a business if they did. Maybe you are not some hack that is going to go out there and download everything and then give it away on torrent sites but someone else WILL. Someone can just join, download EVERYTHING in a day - drop the subscription and then upload it for the world. They would not have a business at all. If you feel you cant get $5 worth out of the site by sitting down and streaming at home or on the go then its not for you - it's not because they simply don't want your business.

When you go shopping do you stop going to a store because they have video cameras on you (treating you like a criminal)? Probably not, you know its just a precaution to catch the few that WOULD steal.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Any site that gives you access to all (or most) of their content is going to be on the subscription model and only allow streaming.
If you buy content individually then I agree that you should be able to download it.
Both models have their pros and cons but typically the subscription model is cheaper if you use it much, wth the trade off being that you can only stream the content.
I'm sure you can understand why they have to do this.

But if it's not to your liking then that is obviously your choice but it's not that these companies have a bad policy.
While I agree it would be great to able to download the content and watch it anywhere at any time (because I certainly wouldn't use it inappropriately), overall I'm glad RM is based on the subscription model because that is only way I could afford to have access to all of their content and I can understand why they have to only allow streaming.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Are we back on track? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Josh Jay @ Reel Magic! (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL