The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'll try this again. (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
As I get older 56 this past July, I find it harder to use sight for gaining information. While I can still CT, some of the wallets and gizmos used in or art have become almost useless to me. Do any other older mentalists, have suggestions as to how to deal with this problem?

If answering this in a open forum seems like exposure, please pm me. Thank you.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, paul180 wrote:
Having been warned about using the word p**k in the forum and having the topic removed I thought I would ask the question another way as to not upset the mods.

As I get older 56 this past July, I find it harder to use sight for gaining information. While I can still CT, some of the wallets and gizmos used in or art have become almost useless to me. Do any other older mentalists, have suggestions as to how to deal with this problem?

You just answered your own question.

After you have over 50 comments, you'll be able to discuss this in a different forum

Until that time, you may want to wait.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Are the ppl here mental? Pun intended. The question isn't about methods as much as it is about dealing with sight problems. Geez!
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You may want to check out Bob Cassidy's approach in his Name/Place routine. Or Elliot Bressler's Switchcraft.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Thanks Last Laugh, I think Name/Place could work for me but it all depends on my ability to get them to write big enough. I guess what your suggesting is good audience management? Thank you.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Do you wear corrective lenses for your failing eye sight?
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Paul- I will answer, being of the same age as you.. In fact, at a conference this year, I asked two very well-known mentalist performers of the same age as me (and you) about worsening close-up vision, which can obviously impact stage performance. They were also concerned about this issue, and didn't have any answers. However, for me, I found a solution that has been working very well, thanks to my optometrist. It is called monovision. I am nearsighted and wear contacts. When I don't wear them, my close-up vision is fine. When I wear them to correct my eyesight, which I need to do, I need reading glasses to read. With monovision, one of my eyes is fully corrected with my normal contact lens. The other eye uses a contact lens whose power is less corrected, providing some distance correction, but importantly, more than adequate close-up vision. It is remarkably effective. Before this, during a stage performance, I simply took out one contact and performed with only one eye corrected. This worked well also.

I hope you find this information helpful. Getting older can be difficult in some ways.

John
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:

There are no corrective measures known today for my kind of degenerative maculation. However with new advances everyday I am hopeful.

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
Are the ppl here mental? Pun intended. The question isn't about methods as much as it is about dealing with sight problems. Geez!

It seemed to me, as I understood it, that you were asking for alternative methods, which is why downstairs was suggested. No geez.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Jonnyboy, thank you so much for sharing with me and giving me those suggestions. I have a book called "Sight Without Glasses" that I believe discusses some of your suggestions. My issue isn't really correctable with lenses or glasses, although the coke bottles I would have to ware might make for some interesting comedic mentalist.

Hows that for a marketing strategy "Behold the blind mentalist" no need for a blindfold. LOL

Getting older dose indeed suck. If I knew then what I know now I would have been much curler to myself. Thank you again Jonny Smile

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I answered earlier, I thought it was OK for the open area. But it was removed.

I PMed you.
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
I'll be 51 in a couple of days. I just got into my first set of bifocals a few months ago. I now like a lot of "knowing things in advance" prediction type effects more so than "seeing" things in peoples minds that they have written down. I've taken to using the audience to create scenarios where they are effects, rather than just mind reading. It requires more mental magic than straight mentalism, but it does make shows a bit more interactive. Most audiences don't know the difference.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:

There are no corrective measures known today for my kind of degenerative maculation. However with new advances everyday I am hopeful.

There are ways to slow or nearly stop it, but nothing to correct it as of yet. My dad had it.

Vision tricks (pardon the pun) are of little help. Is your vision hampered by changes in light brightness?

I will PM you some adjustments you might wish to explore.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
Thanks Last Laugh, I think Name/Place could work for me but it all depends on my ability to get them to write big enough. I guess what your suggesting is good audience management? Thank you.

Actually I mean a sw**** and r***. With good quality billets or business cards and marker. There are some good ideas using a stack of business cards out there too that uses the same basic idea.

That way you have time to really have a look. Also, using thick card allows a bigger marker.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
No I got what you were saying. First saw it on his Mental Miracles video. Yes video not DVD, as they were not yet in existence. The thinck card and dark markers are great ideas though Smile

ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:

I found this thread on a search for Switchcraft.

You should definitely buy Switchcraft and all of my works because I like money very much.

That being said, here is a way to read minds over and over again, which you will find does not require good vision.

Use a finger to FXXXE a word from a book, or use a coin, etc. to get that same result.
Now you know the FXXXE word and every letter of the word and can build on that for multiple moments of mindreading.
The method is a combination of psycholicical fXXCXS and pumping.
Let's say the first letter is "A". Tell the particpant to think of a fruit that begins with that letter.
You can do this sort of thing with every letter.
This sort of psy FXXXe and pumping combination is not my idea, but can be found in many texts these days.
It also happens to not require much use of the eyes.

I hope this helps.

Elliott
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Always Elliott and your work with Bi***ts in switchcraft is great. Thanks for being here and offering your help Smile

paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I answered earlier, I thought it was OK for the open area. But it was removed.

I PMed you.

Tony, I told you this in pm but I want my feelings known in the forum proper. You are and have been one of the most stable and sensible contributes to penny for many years. If rational minds were to prevail it would be to you, that I would look to for guidance and reason.
While all around us egos and over zealous chest pounding abides, your ability to not only defuse but add clearly has always been a guiding light for me. Thank you, thank you thank you for your continued support of the craft and more importantly the individuals seeking help here in the Café.

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, it's nice to see Tony still around after so many of the other pros have long departed.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Summing up a good tip from Bob Cassidy, a CT requires a quick read -- not always easy, depending on the size and clarity of the writing -- while the method used in Name and Place gives you plenty of time to legitimately look right at the spectator's writing and decipher as necessary.

You might look at Marc Paul's brilliant solution in his AAA Phone Test.

Cheers,
Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'll try this again. (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL