The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hurricane Jose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Originally, they predicted Jose was going to swing out to sea and miss almost everyone. Latest predictions I've seen show it swinging a little further West than expected and possibly contacting the mid-Atlantic states. Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandose......amp.html

I bet it doesn't stop them from scaring puerile though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who thinks up these hurricane names?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

People not puerile.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

I'm assuming you mean people, and no, if Jose dwindles to a tropical storm before teaching land, I'm certain the news people will warn people not to take even a tropical storm lightly, but I doubt you'll see the; stock up on provisions, get to high ground, go to a shelter, response you got from Harvey and Irene.

I hardly think warning people of the risks involved constitutes "scaring." Or if it does, it's NECESSARY scaring in the face of two monster storms! I'm just glad Jose isn't looking to make it a hat trick!
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

I'm assuming you mean people, and no, if Jose dwindles to a tropical storm before teaching land, I'm certain the news people will warn people not to take even a tropical storm lightly, but I doubt you'll see the; stock up on provisions, get to high ground, go to a shelter, response you got from Harvey and Irene.

I hardly think warning people of the risks involved constitutes "scaring." Or if it does, it's NECESSARY scaring in the face of two monster storms! I'm just glad Jose isn't looking to make it a hat trick!

Want to spellcheck this post? Or is it just mine?

Or do you mean the hurricane will teach the land?

And there is no such thing as NECESSARY scaring.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Want to spellcheck this post? Or is it just mine?

Or do you mean the hurricane will teach the land?

And there is no such thing as NECESSARY scaring.

Stupid auto-correct!

Are you suggesting the news media DOWNPLAY the potential effects of storms?
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm suggesting that don't overhype them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
How do you overhype a category 5 storm?
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok you fell for it. Got it
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Actually a story designating Irma as a category 6 was shared over 2 million times.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Indeed that is one way to over hype it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Nigel Tufnel said it went to 11.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I did not see any reliable media call Irma a 6. 5 was the most I saw and downgraded to a 4 as soon as it hit land.

What stupid people on social media choose to share is not the fault of the news.

The damage to Texas from Harvey is in the billions.
The damage to Florida from Irma is in the billions.
(Although less than anticipated since the brunt of the storm missed both Miami and Tampa.)
There is no way those storms were over hyped.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ed there was a run on water in Miami a full week probably 10 days prior to it NOT hitting Miami. The storm was WAY over hyped. The FEMA director said nobody in Florida had lived through a storm that strong, yet Andrew and Charlie both hit Florida in our lifetimes. Over hype sorry. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it never happened.

I lived in Florida through the season they had 5 storms hit. Right in Key Largo and trust me it is WAY over hyped.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The NWS is in a unique position. With hype and a hit they are heroes. With hype and a miss they are fools. With no hype and a hit they are dangerously incompetent. With no hype and a miss they are ignored. With Irma, given the magnitude of the storm and the uncertain track until the last moments I believe they made the right call. Sadly, I guess people want devastation once they are told to expect it and if they don't get it someones not doing their job.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you know how much it costs a tourist community when they are evacuated for no reason? The economic impact is absolutely horrible. Not as bad as being hit, but certainly preventable, unlike bring hit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
How can you say there was no reason. They had every reason to issue the warnings. Look at the islands in the Caribbean, look at the size of the storm in strength, breadth and depth. There were no signs in advance that it would weaken or change course. Just a "possibility". To ignore the warnings were a gamble. Like a bet, some folks made out and others didn't. I don't gamble when the threat of death is a possible outcome.

Although I was in New Hampshire during the storm it cost me a significant amount of time and money to evacuate my loved ones, and that's not including canceling my eagerly anticipated trip to the west coast, in order to assist them, for a relaxing vacation. When all was said and done they had minor damage and inconvenience but the peace of mind on all of our parts was well worth it.

By the way, it was kind of ironic in that I had them go to Orlando and at the last minute it was headed there. Fortunately it weakened and passed in between Tampa and Orlando.

P.S. For the pet lovers, lodging cost $270.00 per dog. More than the per person rate.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ed there was a run on water in Miami a full week probably 10 days prior to it NOT hitting Miami. The storm was WAY over hyped. The FEMA director said nobody in Florida had lived through a storm that strong, yet Andrew and Charlie both hit Florida in our lifetimes. Over hype sorry. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it never happened.

I lived in Florida through the season they had 5 storms hit. Right in Key Largo and trust me it is WAY over hyped.

A week, ten days before landfall, the best projected path was Miami. There could be no way of knowing the storm would swerve or weaken so quickly. Warnings were given based on the information available. If people choose to over react OR ignore that information, that doesn't make the information incorrect.

How many of the storms you lived through were four or fives?
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
2. Chaley in Florida and Emily in Tulum.

So what? WAY over hyped.

I get that forecasting is a double edge blade. Error on the side of caution. But I am telling you that when tourist areas are evacuated for no reason, which happened 4 times in one year to the Keys, it has a very large economic impact and some businesses close for good. Worse yet is there is no relief without damages. FEMA issues no disaster relief money to areas evacuated for no reason. The victims have no place to turn.

You really are missing my point because effectively you are saying "well yes they went out of business and have no relief and lost almost as much as if the storm hit them because of the actions of FEMA but better safe than sorry".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hurricane Jose (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL