The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Note by Docc Hilford (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, Gorecki wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, Gorecki wrote:
Is this repeatable with the same audience?

no, but why would you?!

I often perform for groups of friends, and I'll invariably find myself with a (mostly) new group where someone who's seen a particular trick will go, "Hey, do that trick you showed last Saturday night!"

It is repeatable. You just need to make a couple minor changes. And since the instructions can only really be used once this is not an issue.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have been having some fun with this - and it is a fun effect, perfect for friends and informal settings.

At the moment I have stuck to the presentation Docc gives but for the ending have written. 'Keep the penny. It could bring you some luck!'

It has certainly produced some smiles, which is always a good thing.

Neil
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18676 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, Mr.Skin wrote:

It is repeatable. You just need to make a couple minor changes. And since the instructions can only really be used once this is not an issue.

so, as sold, its not repeatable - which is what the guy was asking
Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of NeilS
As Iain states, it is not repeatable with the instructions as given, but if wanting a different version you could use colours, letters or something else in place of the ESP symbols and alter the instructions accordingly.

In my presentation, for objects I use different coins and a note and when all have initially been laid down, give the spectator chance to reposition any, reminding them it is totally their choice where the coins and note goes, which it is.

Once they are satisfied, I begin Smile
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
One of the ways I will be doing this is... I supply 5 coins, the 1,5,10,25,50 cent coins and borrow a bill.
On a folded piece of card stock I have the instructions, with the final prediction inside.

In the end the last item left will be the bill. I show my final prediction as shown below.
I wait a few beats then say just kidding. OF COURSE if they insist I will keep the bill !

NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Yes, The Note is also ideal as a just chance type effect, and what I particularly like is that the spectator(s) can choose the order and where the 6 items are and then, when they have all been put down, you can ask if they are happy with the positions or choose to alter them. It really is that fair.

Then, when the routine actually begins, you proceed and have fun as the spectator makes the various moves and eliminations.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
746 Posts

Profile of roblane
I'm really enjoying this, despite 'all' the steps. For lazy performers like myself, it's possible to write the steps into the notes on a phone, leaving the reveal a little way down so that you have to scroll to it.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3545 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this, and like it. I don't recall him giving any credits, and as we all know, most magic is a subtle evolution of something that came before. I think I have seen something very similar before. What is the source of this?

KJ
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Is there a full performance of this? I'd like to see "how" much process is involved. I have my hunch and therefore haven't purchased yet... kind of a musical chairs of items version of those math tricks where you add 9, multiply by 3, subtract your age... etc.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, 1KJ wrote:
I have this, and like it. I don't recall him giving any credits, and as we all know, most magic is a subtle evolution of something that came before. I think I have seen something very similar before. What is the source of this?

KJ

Yes, I believe I've seen something similar as well, but can't for the life of me remember where. Somewhere in Burling Hull's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mentalism maybe?
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of NeilS
There is no suspicious maths involved and the 'process' has always been fun and drawn the spectators in. This has been one of my favourite purchases of late and something I have used and will carry on using.

Neil
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Thanks Neil, I'll take your word for it! I do enjoy other docc purchases I've made in the past
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Ok, my two cents, I bought it and - I'm not impressed. It's fine, but it's like I knew it would be - move this here, move that there, and voila, look what you have left. It is similar to the concept of one of those math puzzles as I postured earlier as in, you may not know precisely how it works, but you accept that it does, and move on. Especially when the one piece moved most frequently is the one you are left with. And the extra layer of the symbols just adds some convenient elimination. I had the same exact reaction as the (relatively unimpressed) spectator - "oh, that's kinda neat." I feel like it's the sort of thing people will see, give a courtesy smile over, and not remember. It feels like a neat trick, not a magic one. Again, I really like Docc, just my two cents about this particular effect and I saw this coming so I wish I had saved my $10 for something else instead. This one won's pass the wife test.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Sorry you don't like it. I really enjoy presenting The Note, and it certainly passed the wife test, but as is always the case, it is what you are most comfortable with and suits you and your style.

For some light hearted banter with some mystery thrown in, The Note has a lot going for it.
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
No worries, and thanks Neil, different strokes for different folks as they say!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
[/quote]If I wanted to create the same effect as Note, I would do Jimmy Fingers Free Will. I only need a business card, pen, and a borrowed watch. It can be done in the hands and the work load for the spectator is minimal. I still stretch the effect to build it up or shorten it if need be. I can think of many more direct ways to do the think of a card plot, as I'm sure all of us can.[/quote]

I haven't seen Note, but thanks for the nice quote, I appreciate it!

Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Note by Docc Hilford (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL