The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Colored tux (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

majimagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of majimagic
Where do you get the non-traditional tuxes, like different colors, etc?
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Try rental stores. They often sell their old stock. This summer should be a good time, right after proms.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I got a blue silk suit taylored for me. The taylor looked a bit suspicious when I told him about all the odd pockets I wanted, but he made them all.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Colored tuxes are getting harder to find. The rental places around here say no one carries them anymore.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-04-19 17:41, Neale Bacon wrote:
Colored tuxes are getting harder to find. The rental places around here say no one carries them anymore.

You just need to know where to look. Seek out shops that cater to Black and Hispanic clientele. They have a much wider colour palate and you can find suits in all sorts of wonderful colours.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
There is a guy who has a great ebay store with some really wild Tuxes. The store is lucky86. Go to ebay and look under stores, or do a serch for Tux...you'll find him.
Good luck.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
My wife once made a Royal Blue Crushed Velvet Tux for her prom date.
Come to think of it, I've always hated colored tuxes!!
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Ebay would be the place in which I look.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
True formal wear (white tie) limits you to black, stripped black, very dark blue and very dark gray.

Colored tailcoats are not really considered white tie formal wear. They are costumes with tailcoats. (Remember the circus ringmaster?)

I work both ways. That is, in very proper white tie and in the more flip costumes with colored tailcoats. My venue usually decides that for me. For the sales meeting, I can wear a costume (silver tails). At the banquet for the stockholders, I would be afraid to fracture the rules of true formal dress. So I wear white tie (black tails). It is a matter of respect for the host or sponsor. Never embarrass the talent buyer.

Unless you have tailcoat costumes custom made for you, the best alternative is to shop where people wear costumes or don't know what true formal white tie dress really is. Social class often determines that. Ethnicity also frequently allows costumes in the place of proper formal dress. If that dress is acceptable in that community, somebody is selling it! You can bet it is available off the rack. The quality is usually very poor. However, that may fit your needs perfectly.

Most professionals I know, actually have it custom made for them. There are many reasons. Cost is not usually it! Fabrics used, fit, quality of construction, special features and the ability to replace or modify costumes in the future are the normal reasons.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Majimagic,
It would depend on what color or colors you wanted.

You could have one made in a dark color for a few hundred dollars.

Or you could get in a time machine and go back about 40 years and pick up a pastel tux and ruffled shirt from some recently closed disco of that time period.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-11 06:11, Peter Marucci wrote:
Majimagic,
It would depend on what color or colors you wanted.

You could have one made in a dark color for a few hundred dollars.

Or you could get in a time machine and go back about 40 years and pick up a pastel tux and ruffled shirt from some recently closed disco of that time period.

Peter,

Are we really old enough to remember those days? Disco? John Revolta!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bob,
That's the problem -- very few people remember disco.
Or maybe that's a blessing! LOL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Colored tux (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL