The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Egg Bag question (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
I have also found the Hobson eggs to be huge and not a great fit for my Malini bag and small hands. The Eggs-actly eggs work very well but I found them to be more fragile than anticipated. I dropped and broke one the first day I began practicing with my new egg bag. I am still experimenting with various types to find a good balance of size, weight, slipperiness and indestructibility. So far, most eggs have been too big, too heavy, too fragile or not slippery enough.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
The practice golf balls are an interesting idea. I actually have a number of these already as I use them from time to time as a final load in my mini chop cup! May switch this around when performing for golfers (something I've yet to do) as love the idea of the switch to a real ball at the end.

For now though I think I am wedded to the egg (incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:

(incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)


Well think about it a fragile object (EGG) an bag that can be beaten twisted folded. You can not do that with an egg inside. Two opposites. That is why I like the egg. FRAGILE
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I introduce my bag as a lunch bag. The egg is a natural.
I've been thinking about taking out an apple or other fruit first. "I know that I had an egg n here ...... ", but so far, no one has ever questioned the bag. I first started doing th bag in the early 60s.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:

(incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)


Well think about it a fragile object (EGG) an bag that can be beaten twisted folded. You can not do that with an egg inside. Two opposites. That is why I like the egg. FRAGILE


Exactly! THAT is why the egg was "involved". (For the reason mentioned, by friend Robert) These guys that use golf balls, and similar objects, miss the point! It'a not "pandering to tradition", at least not IMO!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Sometimes a little thinking goes a long way. Golf balls don't break. Eggs do. As magicians, our job is to ENTERTAIN people...........its not "The adventure of props in your hands".
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Eggs are funny....golf balls are, well, golf balls.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
You are preaching to the converted, I am a fan of the egg (just not the wife:-) I do like the idea of the golf balls for a golfing audience though (should I ever have one) as some interesting routines suggest themselves in that scenario.

I am taken with the idea of removing some fruit first from the bag and introducing it as a lunch bag. A bit of a hit on pocket space, but as I already carry two large loads (sometimes fruit) for my Chop Cup routine, I can see some sense in doubling up on their use (both routines are in different sets so I won't find myself performing both for the same groups).
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:
You are preaching to the converted, I am a fan of the egg (just not the wife:-) I do like the idea of the golf balls for a golfing audience though (should I ever have one) as some interesting routines suggest themselves in that scenario.

I am taken with the idea of removing some fruit first from the bag and introducing it as a lunch bag. A bit of a hit on pocket space, but as I already carry two large loads (sometimes fruit) for my Chop Cup routine, I can see some sense in doubling up on their use (both routines are in different sets so I won't find myself performing both for the same groups).


I came across my set of sponge multiplying bananas, and thought that it would be a good way to open the routine. Start with the bananas, (or hot dogs, or maybe pickles) first, then find the egg in the bag.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I need to use an egg as my presentation requires it, so I couldn't use a golf ball, even if I wanted to.

I store my eggs-actly egg inside a largeish plastic hinged easter egg with a wee bit of sponge on each end.
I crack one every few years or so, so I keep an extra in it's box for just such an occasion.
Even if it does crack, you could still use it during your act, and replace it afterwards.

I much prefer the fragile egg concept but I wouldn't take anything away from an excellent golf theme if they had one.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
In all the years, I have never had a blown egg break, until another performer (a juggler) grabbed my egg to show me a move and dropped it. This was just before I was set to go on a TV show. I ran from the hall to the hotel kitchen got a real egg and used it for the show. I travel with an egg carrier used by campers. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've openned my egg box, (cardboard supermarket), to find an egg cracked, but don't remember ever breaking one during a performance. I much prefer a blown egg to a fake one. So easy to replace.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, Rainboguy wrote:
Sometimes a little thinking goes a long way. Golf balls don't break. Eggs do. As magicians, our job is to ENTERTAIN people...........its not "The adventure of props in your hands".


I have a reason for using a golf ball. Especially for kid shows, kids would sometimes yell out that the egg is fake, distracting from the show. That doesn't happen with a golf ball. Besides, what happens when you sling a golf ball, in a bag, against your hand? It hurts like hell! You're right - I suppose I could toss a raw egg to the kid, having it make a mess all over him. But, I'm not that mean.

Hobson uses a golf ball for some shows.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It doesn't matter what you use. If your audience likes your routine, and the prop work for you, what the heck is the difference?
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
237 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2017, Pete Biro wrote:
In all the years, I have never had a blown egg break, until another performer (a juggler) grabbed my egg to show me a move and dropped it. This was just before I was set to go on a TV show. I ran from the hall to the hotel kitchen got a real egg and used it for the show. I travel with an egg carrier used by campers. Smile


The reason why I developed and had made my "Perfect Egg" was because of a mishap my very first week of performances at the Magic Castle. After I placed the blown egg in the bag and told my drunk, female spectator to "feel" the egg (I never say "squeeze"). She promptly squeezed the egg hard and broke it to pieces. It was a good healthy laugh from me and the audience. However, immediately afterward, I started my quest for the perfect, fake egg. A few years later with sending the prototype back and forth overseas 6 times, I finally got exactly what I wanted that fits my Hobson Egg Bag. History.
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Jeff: I used your new Gold Egg Bag and perfect egg last night for a show I did for 125 McDonald's owners and managers....during one of the sequences, the lady I had onstage assisting me said...in a loud voice..."Hey....that's a FAKE Egg!"..........Rolling my eyes and shaking my head back and forth...I said..."Even MORE fake news!!!" "Yep...it's from a fake chicken." Stupid dumb.....but it got a laugh!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When I get a response like that I usually say that it’s not a chicken egg, it’s a duck egg. (I use blown eggs.). I was thinking about changing the line to ‘it’s not a hen’s egg, it’s a rooster egg’.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Years ago (now you know you're going to hear an OLD line!)

The response was: "Yes, it was laid by a Plymouth Rock!" (Plymouth Rock, was a breed of chicken, and, small town kids knew that, and would laugh.)

For the past ten years, I've been saying, "Yes, it was laid by a Decoy Duck!" (The "K" sound is inherently funny...)

I like Jack's line: "Rooster egg"!

For a quick adlib, (topical lines will always get a chuckle) but Rainbowguy's, got a LAUGH!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
777 Posts

Profile of Rook
At one of my recent shows, the child 'doing the magic' dropped the Hobson egg I was using. It landed hard and bounced with a resounding, plastic thud.

"And that's why I shop at the craft store rather than the grocery store."

Picking it up and replacing it back in the bag, I commented offhand, "One day, it will hatch a rubber chicken."
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
As my dear friend and mentor Dick Oslund knows WELL.........the secret to comedy is TIMING!

Make your audience LAUGH.....and they will like you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Egg Bag question (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL