The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » McBride's RainMaker on Penn&Teller Fool Us (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jeff McBride won a "Fool Us" for his RainMaker (ungimmicked water bowls that keep refilling.)

After the performance, Penn said there was nothing gimmicked.. and that it was Jeff's own piece/performance, there was nothing to "bust".

I've watched Penn's comments to other magicians, and he can cleverly/secretly indicate (to the performer) that he knows the method, w/o exposing it.

Is that what Penn was really doing (and subtly applauding McBride's artistry), or did Penn really not know how McBride did this routine?

just curious;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can watch Tom Mullica perform this on YouTube years ago, then re-watch McBride's version, there are differences that makes one wonder.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Wasn't the original effect called "More Water"? I think Jeff does it as well as anyone I've seen but I was amazed that P&T either didn't know the work on it or were just being nice.
Ray Pierce
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Ray Pierce wrote:
Wasn't the original effect called "More Water"? I think Jeff does it as well as anyone I've seen but I was amazed that P&T either didn't know the work on it or were just being nice.

That's my thinking. For Penn to be able to say that "nothing is gimmicked", implies he knows the method
and for Penn to say something like "there is nothing to bust", and "it is your own piece of magic"
hints at the simplicity of the method (McBride basically did what it appeared to be), and acknowledges the skill with which McBride performed it.

I was just curious to hear others thoughts on it.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I told Jeff that this effect is more amazing when you know the method.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
I think Penn was saying that because he knew the method and that nothing was gimmicked that he was "fooled" in the sense that the illusion of the bowls refilling was achieved and very well done.
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
McBride tipped the secret at one of his lectures years ago, but I don't think the magicians in the room cared enough for it. Im sure Penn and Teller know the workings.
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Jeff is doing a beautifull ungimmicked act. Funny that if you are ordering the same effect on a magic shop they will send you gimmicked balls...This is much more magic the way jeff does it!
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, top_illusionist wrote:
McBride tipped the secret at one of his lectures years ago, but I don't think the magicians in the room cared enough for it.

+1

Poor theatrical choice. Yes I said it. When performer has big jelly belly, it's plausible he could be taking-in the water, then spitting it out. and second; some people know of "water spouting", thus effect is further diminished.

Also, the ungimmicked bowls looked thick enough to be gimmicked. Thus, "less" effect.

McBride. Getting a "pass" by P&T. Shame.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Have to agree. I don't care enough about it to even wonder how he did it. I like McBride a lot, but this effect is just boring, sorry.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » McBride's RainMaker on Penn&Teller Fool Us (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL