The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
300 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
I just recently purchase some Morgans for 8.50 a piece and was wondering what the best way to clean them was? I have already used toothpaste which cleaned them up pretty nice but was wondering if silver polish would work or if it would do any harm to the coins.

Thanks
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
HMMM

Silver coins + silver cleaner=???

Do the math and do a search plenty of post about cleaning coins.

Coins are made of metal, only way you can damage your coins if you put them in acid or to a grinder.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Try some Tarn X...smells like crap but it works very well

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Yeah, that Tarn X does smell like 10 kinds of **** mixed together but it works wonders. I like to clean them. Let them dry and clean them again. After two straight cleanings they normally will stay that way for a while.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Vinegar and salt in a solution works wonders and keeps them clean for a long time.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
You can use Mothers Mag wheel polish too. It work wonders. Or any mag wheel polish you can find (paste).
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
Never Dull
You can find it in Wal Mart.
Shines the @#$% out of anything metal.

The problem is if your coins are soft, and they should be if they're morgans, when you clean all the black gunk off, the detail goes away. Then it looks like your doing tricks with shiny metal discs and not coins.
Red_Wing_II
View Profile
Regular user
Enchanted Mitten
164 Posts

Profile of Red_Wing_II
I have used a product called Kaboom by the makers of Oxyclean. Its bath, shower, and tile cleaner.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Brown Sauce - Strangely if you get the stuff we have here in the UK it'll shine coins up a treat...wonder what it does to my stomach?
ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
A number of years ago I purchased a very expensive Greek coin from an antiquities dealer. I was told the only thing I should use is a wet paste made from baking soda and water; it is the most gentle cleansing you can do.

Mothers mag wheel polish, etc will make them very shiny but these polishes are abrasive and will, over time, remove detail from the coins.

...hope this helps!
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
I agree with ChrisS. I use an ammonia-base cleaner that cleans off the oils, but does not damage the coin. If you have an older coin, too much Tarn-X polishing (this is polishing, not cleaning) will actually cause the coins to talk more easily. Just keep them clean and enjoy the old-world look.
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Sburke

Also of note is that polished coins are not quite as "sticky" as unpolished ones.
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
I had some dirty silver coins. My daughter said she would clean them for me & came back 5 mins later with gleaming silver coins (just like Todd's). When I asked how she did it she said she used toothpaste & a tooth brush.
I still clean my coins that way.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I use gun cleaner, good ol' Hoppes #9. Works well for me.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Coins that are collected and coins that are used as tools are two very different things, and require different types of care.

For magic, most of us want clean and fairly shiny silver coins, but not too shiny, as that would give them an unreal atypical appearance. Copper coins should look like, well... like copper coins, not shiny, dark, with a strong contrast to the silver coins. I use soap and water, or lemon juice on all my coins. The coppers need a day or two to "deshine" a little, but either method works very well. There are also substances out there that condition copper coins to give them a darker, more aged look. Coin dealers, and on-line supply houses carry them.

Coins that are collected are very different. If you even mention the words "clean" and "coins" in the same sentence, any serious collector will punch you right in the mouth. It's the coin collector's equivalent to blasphemy. To clean a coin is to ruin or severely lower its Numismatic value.

My local coin dealer groans in agony every time I walk in his shop... I'm a great customer, but he knows what I'm going to do with whatever coins I buy, and as a serious collector, it goes against his grain to sell them to me. He has no problem telling me how much he dislikes me some days either... Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
CoolMAgic4U
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
205 Posts

Profile of CoolMAgic4U
Morgan coins will naturally shine up and look good from just using them. A couple of hours in your hands and they look almost as good as new.

I haven't "cleaned" my Morgans in over two years and they look GREAT! Just constant handling of them is all that is needed in my opinion.

If for some reason you want your copper coins...ie...english pennies to be shined up...try ketchup. It works like a charm.
CoolMagic4U---aka---Ed Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What are folks doing with their coins that gets them so dirty they need cleaning?

Perhaps a trick where a marked coin is found inside an egg or omelet has gotten popular?

The silver coins I bought over twenty years ago are just fine, and have not been touched by polish or chemicals in twenty years. The few I carry around regularly have been put in the wash, in my jeans a few time. The rest... NOTHING. The coins purchased recently have been washed in my hands, using soap and water, then put into the wash.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
CoolMAgic4U
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
205 Posts

Profile of CoolMAgic4U
TOTALY AGREE Jonathan.....I think just regular use keeps them looking as good as new!
CoolMagic4U---aka---Ed Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Good old Heinz Ketchup or any brand works very nicely to clean coins. Just make sure you wash up for obvious reasons. Just put a little on the coins, work it in and rinse.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
As if you haven't already gotten enough feedback on this. A coin dealer told me to use vinegar and baking soda. I've used it and it keeps the coins looking great. It cleans most of the dirt and tarnish, but allows them to remain "old" looking.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL