The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » MEM DECK TRICKS WITHOUT MEMORY WORK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
Do you have suggestions using a mem deck for effects using the stack but not requiring the memory work?
Perhaps automatic tricks? Perhaps a cheat sheet? Other?
MAGIC HAPPENS !
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
If you are able to make a story telling deck of your stack. (maybe with even changing a few cards)
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
I think Patrick Redford's "Temporarily Out of Order" has some effects where you don't need to remember the stack. The stack is setup for those effects. Also, Woody Aragon's memorandum, his stack book. His stack is setup in a way that you an go into several of the effects in "A book in English" without having to remember the stack.

Other than that, I would say check the SiStebbins, nothing wrong with it, you don't need to memorize it, but you can do a lot of stack effects.

Marc
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Of course, memorizing the stack will open up vastly greater possibilities, and that should be the goal.

If you are having trouble with the memorization aspect, make sure that you haven't fallen into the common trap of thinking that there is only one road to this destination. Different people have different learning styles, and what is good for one can be a real roadblock for another. There are four different methods of learning a memorized deck: it's worthwhile spending a little time investigating the pros and cons of each method to see which one best matches your needs.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
In my experience, most of the tricks that are stack-dependent do not require memory work. Look at Aronson's Try the Impossible and Tamariz' Mnemonica for their stack dependent tricks. There are poker deals and other demonstrations that use the features of the stack itself without requiring any memorization.

Doug is right of course, that if you choose to work on memorizing a stack, it opens up a huge range of possibilities unachievable any other way.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Woody Aragon
View Profile
New user
Spain
40 Posts

Profile of Woody Aragon
Just to mention: In my second Penguin Live lecture I do a whole routine and explain the simplest stack of all (the faro-1 or 14/15 as is called), lots of tricks and propierties, and none of them requires memorisation. But you can do the most of the usual memorized deck tricks with it: divination, guess any card, locate any card named, wheighing the cards, forces and predictions, poker tricks, an incredible multiple "acaan" in different decks, spellings, etc...

Happy Christmas to everybody!

Woody
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
I recently purchased Mr. Aragon's 2nd Penguin Lecture for the reason he posted above.. I also recently bought Eric Robertson's trilogy of books, "It all Depends", "Oasis" and "Tour" .. These are based on another stack and has effects that don't require you to memorize the stack. I have some reading to catch up over the holidays...

mG
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2017, ATXTimeLord wrote:
I recently purchased Mr. Aragon's 2nd Penguin Lecture for the reason he posted above.. I also recently bought Eric Robertson's trilogy of books, "It all Depends", "Oasis" and "Tour" .. These are based on another stack and has effects that don't require you to memorize the stack. I have some reading to catch up over the holidays...
mG

Oh my dear. You bought rip-offs !!! Support the REAL authors, like Eric Richardson for example. Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » MEM DECK TRICKS WITHOUT MEMORY WORK (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL