The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fism flash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I've heard the name of this used, and I was wondering what the flash simulates. Basically I am looking for someting that will replicate a camera flash without being too cumbersome to activate. Any input?

Peace
Pete
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
The FISM Flash does indeed replicate a camera flash.

Cumbersome? Well that's for you to decide.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Drummer-inc
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Drummer-inc
You could use an old battery powered flasher from an older camera. I'm talking about one of those flashers that detaches (sp?) from the camera. It fits in your hand. Depending on the size of your hand, it could not be extremly visable. On the back there is a little button to make it flash. You could probably get one at an antique store or a pawn shop.

I don't really know anything about the FISM flash though, so I can't help you there.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Here's the gist. I want to patter about how great the audience has been, reach into mid air and produce a disposable camera (just the shell), as I ask the group to huddle together, I take their picture, complete with flash.

Peace
Pete
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Pete,

There's a gimmick sold that will allow you to set off a square flash bulb (without the camera). I can't remember it's name, but I'm sure that any good dealer can help you with this.

On the subject of the FISM flash, I don't believe that they are being made any longer.

John
Drummer-inc
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Drummer-inc
If you charge a disposable camera's flash and thwack (not a word but you get the pic) the camera on you palm or somewhere, It will flash but not take a picture.
Just thought that was cool...
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I used to work in a photo lab. There are quite a few things you can do once you remove the film. You've gotta take the battery out too. DO NOT PUT A SCREWDRIVER INTO THE CONTACTS. I'll tell you it is not fun!

Peace
Pete
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Pete,

Go to HollywoodMagic they got the FISM flash in stock last time I was there. Call them to see if it is still in stock.

G0THIKE
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hocus Pocus sells it. It is called "Flash Burst"
I purchased one a few months ago from them.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
Who invented the Fism Flash?
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
It is a John Cornelius invention. I believe the original was triggered by a toe switch or something of this sort. The newer version was triggered by a system on your belt/waist. To my knowledge, none are being made anymore.
theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
I use a rewired emergency strobe for my flashes. I buy mine from Airccraft Spruce supply. They make mostly airplane parts, but at the same time they have many high-intenisty, battery-powered strobes.
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
The Flashcube device is simply a little piece of tin!
MagicCubes (which are getting harder to find) wil fire when a contact is either shorted or broken by this lttle tin piece. I can't remember which. You get 4 flashes from the cube.

I have a brand new Fism flash that I would consider selling. I was disappointed that this new model does not have a foot switch like John used to make so I have not used it. It is a great device to mount on the front of a prop such as an animal cage appearance to misdirect for a second. For that reason I have not sold it as I may use it for that purpose.

Regarding your idea of a pretend camera production..I do the same concept in some shows but instead produce a real camera and take the audience picture. I enjoy the pictures later as they remind me of why I am in this business.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
There is a "Flash Burst" made by Dancing Spring Magic:

http://www.dancingspringmagic.com/directory_indx.htm

Here's the description from their web site (all Caps from the web site, sorry ) ---

PRODUCE STROBE FLASHES OF LIGHT AT ANY TIME DURING ACT. STROBE GOES BEHIND YOUR TIE OR UNDER SHIRT. POWER UNIT STRAPS TO BACK AT BELT LINE. TOE SWITCH OPERATES THE FLASH AT WILL. FLASH APPEARS TO COME FROM NOWHERE OR FROM HANDS HELD IN FRONT OF YOUR BODY. OVER 200 FLASHES ON TWO AA BATTERIES - 5 SECOND RECYCLE TIME. SAFETY SWITCH TO PREVENT UNWANTED OR ACCIDENTAL FLASH AT WRONG TIME
coinlover
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of coinlover
I've use Fism Flash for years, I don't like it much because the flash is not too bright!
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I've used FISM flash for awhile now and love it. The flash is plenty bright enough for me. Acer has a great idea in the Magic Menu with one. That is the routine I use.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I used FISM Flash in the past. The only thing I disliked about it was the fact you had to move your hand to your waist to trigger it. The trigger system had to be pressed manually. Flash Burst has a toe switch which allows both hands to be occupied. A good example is with a vanishing bird cage.

Think about it...
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I use the ankle switch. I'm not sure what the toe switch is like, but it seems that it would be likely to accidentally go off to me. The ankle switch takes and unnoticeable amount of natural movement and doesn't accidentally go off and you don't have to do anything with your hands. I specifically looked for one with an ankle switch when I bought one. Not sure how you rig one for a toe switch.

sd
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
There were a video clip of it at showtheatre.com a few time ago... Perhaps it is still there.

Regards
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Why not just use the disposable camera as is? The flash works forever as the battery is replaceable simply by taking the case apart, and the camera costs under ten bucks! Forget about the film... who cares?... but if you want, you can remove it and throw it away (or even have it developed!) You just need the case and flash.
On a similar cheap note: I use the flash units from disposable cameras for dozens of stage effects. The witch's cane from "Into the Woods," Gandalf's staff from "The Hobbit" and the cat's camera from "Honk!" to name a few recent shows where I built a cannibalized flash unit from a $10 disposable camera right into the props. Low-budget gag and a great effect every time. (You need to do a bit of soldering... part of the trade skill set.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fism flash (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL