The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What can control Mother Nature? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I know a guy who was trying to capture lightning and use it to charge batteries. Well, good luck. The easy part is predeicting where it will land. There are places where you can count on a few bolts every day. A lightning rod will grab and catch it very easilt then what? A small bolt probably cariies several million volts of electicity at a current of easily 20,000 amps, often much more. What ever machine we connect that to with instantly explode from that much power comming in. (Compare that to the New York City Subway system that runs on 600 amps. Plenty of current to kil a human.)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Destroy the moon. The moon helps create tides from gravitational forces. Tides would be much calmer without the moon.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I predict Dynamike will take a journey to a movie theater to watch Geostorm.
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
Last night there was something on the telly that I could hear as I was writing the answer key to this semester's first midterm exam in linear algebra and differential equations. It was talking about a possible volcanic eruption from Yellowstone. Their estimate was that the ash therefrom could be enough to cover the state of Texas to a depth of - if memory serve - five feet.

That, my friends, is Mother Nature. In no way can Man control that amount of force.

Well, NASA has an idea...

Quote:
NASA wants to prevent the Yellowstone super volcano from destroying the US

NASA believes the Yellowstone super volcano is a greater threat to life on Earth than any asteroid. So it’s come up with a plan to defuse its explosive potential.

NASA’s researchers have told the BBC they have explored what it would take to avert a super volcano catastrophe.

The answer: find a way to cool the magma down.

Supervolcanos only spill over when the molten rock is hot enough to become highly fluid.

In a slightly cooler state, it gets thicker. Stickier.

It’s not going anywhere fast.

To achieve this, the Jet Propulsion Labs team calculated a super volcano on the brink of eruption would have to be cooled some 35 per cent.

They propose to do this by pricking the supervolcano’s surface, to let off steam.

But this in itself poses risks.

Drill too deep, and the vent could cause an explosive depressurization that may set off the exact kind of eruption the scientists were trying to avoid.

Instead, the NASA scientists propose, a 10km deep hole into the hydrothermal water below and to the sides of the magma chamber. These fluids, which form Yellowstone’s famous heat pools and geysers, already drain some 60-70 per cent of the heat from the magma chamber below.

NASA proposes that, in an emergency, this enormous body of heated water can be injected with cooler water, extracting yet more heat.

This could prevent the super volcano’s magma from reaching the temperature at which it would erupt.

Such a project could cost in excess of $3.5 billion. But it’s nothing like the reconstruction cost of digging two thirds of the continental United States out from under mountains of volcanic ash.

And it could even help pay for itself.

Steam from the superheated water could be used to drive power turbines.

“You would pay back your initial investment, and get electricity which can power the surrounding area for a period of potentially tens of thousands of years,” NASA’s Brian Wilcox says.

Full article at http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/08/2......-us.html

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
I predict Dynamike will take a journey to a movie theater to watch Geostorm.

Just so we all know it is not a documentary movie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If humans help increase global warming, that will become a lot of control on Mother Nature.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As Tom C noted above, we can influence nature in some ways. We've eliminated species and destroyed ecosystems. Our cities absorb heat, changing local climates. We dam rivers, fill the ocean with plastic and fill the atmosphere with toxic chemicals.

From a natural perspective, the last couple of centuries have demonstrated that humans pretty much suck.

Yet, we are limited. We possess the capability to make the planet uninhabitable by our descendants. But we don't seem to be fully capable of destroying the entire thing.

Give us time.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I bet scientist are already ahead with ideas but will not tell us. Come to think of it, I wonder if their test and experiments are causing the disasters we are having presently.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, they created a time machine in the future, and they are transporting their storms back to our time. That's why the increased number. The machine is stuck on our time period and they can't send them anywhere else like they were doing for years.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Deja vu.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yes, they created a time machine in the future, and they are transporting their storms back to our time. That's why the increased number. The machine is stuck on our time period and they can't send them anywhere else like they were doing for years.

And if you want proof, all you have to do is look outside! (At least, that's the kind of 'proof' I hear a lot of lately.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tom Cutts look outside!
Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tommy, shhh. Let's keep it a secret.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What can control Mother Nature? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL