The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Suitcase/box on top of keyboard stand? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
386 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I remember that one childrens performer put a suitcase with his props on a keyboard stand. Great idea.

I wonder if it might be a problem that if a child grabs for the suitcase (and children sometimes like to grab for the magic table) the suitcase can come down to the floor.

Does anybody have any experience with such a suitcase-keyboard-stand-combination?

Thanx in advance.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1154 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I tried that method. The main issue is what you said, you or a kid or parent could easily knock it over, hurting a kid or property. You can't take your eye off it and have to put the case on the floor when not using it. A briefcase should be fine, but not a trunk or suitcase. Having said that, there are a lot of guys who use the trunk on keyboard stand and never have a problem, but it makes me nervous. Full size trunks are also awkward to carry up and down steps and in tight spaces. If you need more than a briefcase, maybe spend the money on something like the Showtime Magic cases or whatever.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A full-sized trunk can make a table or stand all on its own.

That's what this was before the inflatable Christmas tree began to emerge from the top which then turned the whole thing into a Christmas prop to end the show.

"The performer opens the front of the trunk, then pulls out a sliding wooden panel so that the trunk can be seen to be completely empty. The panel is slid back into the trunk, then the front lid is closed again. Snow begins to fly out of the trunk as a green inflatable nylon 4 foot tall Christmas tree emerges and sits on top of the trunk as it inflates. From inside the trunk, the front panel slides out on its own, the top opens up, and a Christmas elf or spirit emerges and begins handing out small gifts from a bag." It's described in detail in The Wizards' Journal #7 - 04.

At the end of the show, it's a trunk again and everything can be packed away inside for the trip home...or to the next show.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have used a converted 35mm carroussel projector table for many years. It looks like a waiters tray stand. I had big casters fitted to the bottom of the legs. I set my 'fat' attache case, which holds all the props, on top, and, can roll it "on". It has a wider "foot" than the key board stand, so, it's a bit more sturdy. It sets up in less than 20 seconds.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In 2014, then Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki learned the fundamentals of busking with such a table.

The one shown in the photo belonged to the Wiz Kids for teaching purposes and cost under $70.00, but by the end of the summer, Qua-Fiki had built one from scratch for about $20.00. It is described in The Wizards' Journal #26. Hanging behind the table is a black tote bag that attached to the legs and carried his props as well as providing a servante.
MaveriQ
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
29 Posts

Profile of MaveriQ
I used a trunk on a keyboard stand for many years before I sprung for more professional equipment. My key was an extra table where volunteers helped, they never touched or really got too near the trunk.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24067 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I used to do it. It was a keyboard case on top of a keyboard stand. I stopped using it now because I switched back to the suitcase table. The keyboard case does not hold as many props as the suitcase table. But it is a lot lighter.

One pro with the keyboard case is the black felt like material it has around it for protection. It was the kind DJs had for their speakers. It did not look tacky because of the fabric material. A regular suitcase would look tacky. The fabric material helped gripped the rubber on top of the keyboard stand so it would not slip in case a child tried to move it. Another pro was you could carry your props around in it.

You will be able to see a few pictures of me using it on this page: http://www.dynamikemagic.com/photos.html
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24067 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, Daniel Ulzen wrote:

I wonder if it might be a problem that if a child grabs for the suitcase (and children sometimes like to grab for the magic table) the suitcase can come down to the floor.

It depends on the height of the stand you are using. A DJ keyboard stand works fine because of the height. Plus of the weight and sturdiness it makes a great prop to use around kids. That is why DJs are still using it too. If you are serious about protection around kids I would not recommend using a low height dinner stand to hold any type of case.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Daniel, accidents can always happen. I used this combination for years in kids shows at parties and libraries, never had an accident. At the beginning of the show I set the rules for their space (place to sit) and my space (place to perform). Kids are fine with that.
Also you should consider liability insurance just in case something does happen to person or property.
Thing about it.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've used a restaurant tray stand and a plastic tote for decades. Works great!
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I used a keyboard stand and old fashioned suitcase for at least 15 years and never once had it fall over. The only times I got nervous was with very plush carpet and uneven ground at a party. I now use a tripod/microphone stand and a briefcase for birthday parties. Much easier to manage.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, MaveriQ wrote:
I used a trunk on a keyboard stand for many years before I sprung for more professional equipment. My key was an extra table where volunteers helped, they never touched or really got too near the trunk.

I NEVER considered my "roll on" waiter's tray stand with my 13" x 20" x 8" fiber case, anything but PROFESSIONAL.

I was on the road (coast to coast and border to border) for almost 50 years, presenting as many as 17 45 minute programs each week. I NEVER had any youngster even touch my prop table!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of equivoque
The real answer, which no one wants to hear, is get a table for each type of show that you do. I have a Hank Moorehouse cube and ultimate table base for small shows and strolling, a 10 Second Table for medium size shows and a Lefler Suitcase table that can be used in combination with the other two for larger shows.

For the Life of me, I cannot understand why anyone carries a table that does not hold props. (unless you have a large stage show.) The cube table can be adjusted to table height at restaurants for strolling. I consider putting your props next to someone's food to be bad form. (This is just an opinion.) Once I had my mind power deck ruined by a spectator who was so excited, she split her water and I learned a valuable lesson.

I live in a COOP in Brooklyn and next week, any props that do not fit into these tables is going into my basement storage unit!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use a table-top sitting on top of a restaurant tray stand and my briefcase sits on that.
I've never had a kid come anywhere near it. It's off to the side and not the focus of the act.

I also have a very light-weight harbin table that I love and that is front and center but only used for the odd prop.
Regardless, I've never had a kid ever touch it because there is just too much going on.

If kids are touching, pulling, knocking over your table what on earth is (not) going on in your act, to the point where attention on the tables?
The focus should be on you.

How is the table all of a sudden more interesting than the performer?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Suitcase/box on top of keyboard stand? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL