The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Eric Mead Fools Penn &Teller with "Cylinder and Coins" routine (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
"Cylinder and Coins" - Eric Mead:
https://youtu.be/mBzaLxaiBhA

Nice!

Darko
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Yea, I'm no wizard with coins, but this really blew me away.

I'm still a huge Tim Conover fan, looking forward to the book that Eric is working on with Tim's wife (last update I see is from March).

Dave
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
That routine is real magic in his hands. I was gratified to hear him mention Tim Conover. I met Tim over 40 years ago when he was about 16 or 17 years old. One of the nicest people I ever met.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Yep. If it's ever in print or video, I'm a buyer for sure. Very well done ! Eric got the F.U. trophy.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Excellent performance Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Great coin magic by a pro, and kudos for mentioning Tim Connover!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I was watching and pompously thinking I was following it all. But he wiped me out.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I tried to learn this years ago. I couldn't get within 50 feet of pulling it off.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've never been much of a fan of Cylinder and Coins, but Eric knocked it out of the park. Beautiful, clear effect.
**Roper**
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
179 Posts

Profile of **Roper**
Blew me away!!! I'd love to learn this masterpiece!
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Everything Eric shows (what I've seen so far), whether the routines with coins or cards in his hands looks like real magic. Brilliant!
This is how magic must look.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Just watched again. and ... just... WOW ! I doubt even if I could buy the routine that I'd ever be able to do it. Just PURE MAGIC IMO.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Pure poetry.

The trick was awesome and I have been eagerly waiting for the Conover book. I've long admired the C&C and it will be my focus for the near future.

However, the most amazing thing for me to witness is how smooth professionals such as Eric are under the spotlight. My hands would have been shaking from the pressure the entire time. It's really nice to see a true artist in action. I've been fortunate to see Eric perform live. He gets better and better with time. Bravo!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Excellent execution. Well done. The hand to hand transfer with the wand was flawless.
Larry Smile
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Is there a quality CC Set being made. Would love to have one. I think Porper was the last to make one.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I imagine the custom gaffers who work exclusively in real silver coins can and do supply suitable Ramsay stacks.

For those of us with more modest magic budgets, options using either clad Eisenhower or those steel replica Morgan dollars would be greatly appreciated (hint! hint! to Johnson, Tango, etc.).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Todd Lassen just developed a new cylinder with some extra properties.

It's been about 4 or 5 months since he introduced them, but it looks like he may be doing another run soon.

He works in batches.

https://coolotis.wordpress.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Yes, though I suspect that's an older set (he made a lot of cylinders) that's in that video, not a new one.
Also, Lassen is not for the "modest budgeted".

Depending on how much you need to use it for, you could also probably make your own pretty easily with some materials you'd find at home. Not as high quality, but it would get the job done to start practicing with.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Just 2 questions on this routine, 1) I am familiar with John Carney version and the props needed, what is different in Mead's routine? I am not able to see the difference or the 10% he kept mentioned (I am just a part time magic hobbyist ), just a high level explanation will do and 2) Assuming Mead uses the regular props for this routine and excellent sleight of hand, why are Penn & Teller fooled? I have seen other participants that used great sleight of hand in a known routine and P&T dismissed them with "you use such prop and sleight of hand", why is this case different.

I am not criticizing Mead at all, I enjoyed the whole routine and amazed at his professionalism , but Carney's routine has the same effect on me, so Why am I missing here? PM are ok, if the answer is to revealing.

Thanks ... Pablo
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I saw a lot of fantastic subtleties (especially with the wand and cork), and didn't catch all of the vanishes on the first watch - I haven't gone back to replay it yet, and I might decide not to spoil it.

But I second the overall question - I'm also not clear on the extra 10% or how this one was different enough to be a fooler.

That said, I still thing it was marvelously done, and a hearty congratulations for doing it! I can aspire to be one hundredth that good some day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Eric Mead Fools Penn &Teller with "Cylinder and Coins" routine (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL