The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ben Blau Performs “D.E.N.I.M.” (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hi.

Here’s something that’s both old and new. It’s called “D.E.N.I.M.”, and is one of the routines that will be included in my next project. This video is PRACTICE, and a lot more tightening up still needs to take place. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/LvBBMnQcwuM
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Well..this is very obvious for a magician, but I like how you milk the most you can out of a card location.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I was just discussing progressive revelations private FB group. How to make one mind-read seem like several.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
This is one of my favourite things to do...just revealing an information you get is not using the full potential of knowing information your spectator doesn't think you know. Lets say you gain knowledge of a word they are thinking of...and the first letter is a...tell them to imagine a fruit that starts with that letter if they can think of one..imagine it very vividly...the color, the taste etc...most likely they will think of apple...thats another reveal of a thought that formed in their head not even written anywhere that you can reveal. Its the way you reveal things that makes an effect interesting.
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
77 Posts

Profile of RiBo
I'm always impressed by Ben's performances. I'd like to think I have a similar style, and I must admit that Asymptotes is on my list to pick up soon.

Two comments:
First, I wish people would stop telling people that they're not using marked cards. Just leave that out of the conversation. Admittedly I suspect I'd like this because I always use marked decks.
Second, there was one stylistic part to the patter that I think is a little weak - it's around the 5-6 minute mark when you say something ike "I really have no idea of what your card is." The way you said this, it just sounded to me like you were protesting too much, if that makes sense. At least, that's what went through my mind while watching the video.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, RiBo wrote:
I'm always impressed by Ben's performances. I'd like to think I have a similar style, and I must admit that Asymptotes is on my list to pick up soon.

Two comments:
First, I wish people would stop telling people that they're not using marked cards. Just leave that out of the conversation. Admittedly I suspect I'd like this because I always use marked decks.
Second, there was one stylistic part to the patter that I think is a little weak - it's around the 5-6 minute mark when you say something ike "I really have no idea of what your card is." The way you said this, it just sounded to me like you were protesting too much, if that makes sense. At least, that's what went through my mind while watching the video.


Noted on both counts. I agree. I think my comment on marked cards leaked out because I knew magicians would eventually see this, and there is a part of me that wanted to make the point that it really is an honest impromptu routine that can be done with any deck at any time. This will and should be removed from my script for laypeople.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Ben
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi Ben, looking forward your new release, disappointed that it is not in book format Smile, but it does not matter. I'm interested on the details on the est***** shuffle after the selection. I use a similar shuffle from a Lorayne trick, can't remember in which of his books I read it.

I'm not sure about the marked comment, I would maybe make it earlier, that's the reason you turn your back, even if the cards were marked somehow, I never see the back of the card, and furthermore, I'm going to turn my back so there is no chance for me to peek, maybe the reflection on your glasses, a mirror behind you, etc...

Anyway... great work like always!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2017, marc_carrion wrote:
Hi Ben, looking forward your new release, disappointed that it is not in book format Smile, but it does not matter. I'm interested on the details on the est***** shuffle after the selection. I use a similar shuffle from a Lorayne trick, can't remember in which of his books I read it.

I'm not sure about the marked comment, I would maybe make it earlier, that's the reason you turn your back, even if the cards were marked somehow, I never see the back of the card, and furthermore, I'm going to turn my back so there is no chance for me to peek, maybe the reflection on your glasses, a mirror behind you, etc...

Anyway... great work like always!


Honestly, I regret even raising the point in the first place. My preference would be to do this one with a borrowed deck. I don’t think it serves a useful purpose for me to even suggest that I know what marked cards are. I should let the conditions speak for themselves in that regard. I might make the comment, “I have seen neither the front nor the back of the card.” That carries the implication, without having to suggest it in the first place. The participant can then interpret the statement in whatever way correlated to their frame of reference and intellect.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Might be obvious for a magician... But it's IMPOSSIBLE for laymen. Love this!

The one thing I would point out is that I would try to make the whole process of asking the questions start small and get better... By that I mean something like: first ask the question and have her answer out loud. You then tell her that she lied or told the truth and eliminate the corresponding cards. Now, you take it up a notch and have her answer the truth, but only in her mind... tell her "you said picture cards, didn't you?"... then take it up another notch and have her either lie or tell the truth in her mind. Something like that... what to you think?

Anyway, nice effect! Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you can apparently hear an answer someone is only mentally projecting, then they don't need to go through the long physical processes at the start, right?
I've asked to be banned
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1620 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Interesting. Here are a few quick comments.

First, once you’ve removed the rehearsal selection from the pack, there are only 51 left and therefore you should amend your statement about chances to 1/51 and not 1/52.

During the revelation phase you keep asking the spectator to voice aloud what mental answer she transmitted to you, and then you say something like “I thought so, that’s why…” I don’t find this convincing because if you’d received an answer you would not keep asking her what message she'd sent. You would say something like: “I sense you’ve mentally answered …” It’s OK for a mental effect, not for a mentalist effect.

Any intelligent spectator would reason that you knew her selection from the start as yourself picked a bunch of cards out of the deck. I think a viable alternative handling to dispel this would be to spread the deck face up, so you may get a glimpse at the selection, and ask the spectator to draw towards her 10 or so cards with the selection among them, while your back is turned. You can give the spectator as many directions that you need about the composition of the packet.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Visually, if you're having to remove cards - and its all about you being able to pick up (somehow) what they are thinking of - but you are having difficulty, then I (personally) would want to remove cards that could be mistaken for their actual card...(so the subtext is that it either sounds or looks somehow similar to their actual card, which you have also pulled out)....
I've asked to be banned
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
After we stopped filming, I had to spend several minutes convincing Samantha and the other student who was filming this that I wasn’t really a psychic. We ended up having a long conversation about non-verbal communication. These are smart people. LTU is the fourth hardest school to get accepted to in the country, and I teach in the college of engineering. So, these students are intellectually way above average. Based on how the effect has been received not only by them but also by others, I don’t share some of the concerns expressed above. The only one I agree with is the fact that I shouldn’t have said “one card out of fifty-one possibilities” instead of “fifty-two”, since one had already been eliminated. I think I’m going to change that line slightly, by first saying “one out of fifty-two” and then correcting myself, almost as if it just occurred to me.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Intelligence isn't really a measure though, not really... I know very smart people who love having their cards read.... a few believe in it, a few don't and just enjoy the experience...

I think really, we're talking about logic aren't we...not always necessarily for "them", but for "us"...though having it logical for us and our persona and claim, bleeds through to "them"...

if person A says they can do B and C - but then adds D and E for no reason, then it becomes odd, eliminating the gaps between what we have to do, and what we claim to be doing is very important...

just my opinion, nothing else...
I've asked to be banned
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1620 Posts

Profile of Claudio
OK, it shows that intelligence and credulity are not correlated.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, IAIN wrote:
If you can apparently hear an answer someone is only mentally projecting, then they don't need to go through the long physical processes at the start, right?


Knowing someone’s card is trivial. Each procedural phase in this routine serves a purpose for me. I could do the same trick with NO procedure if I wanted to, and so could anyone else. I have my reasons, but I’d expect anyone to bring their own sensibilities to any routine they choose to perform.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I just want to quickly say the point I raised was just me being super nitpicky. I think the effect played out very well, but I wouldn't expect less from you Smile

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
After we stopped filming, I had to spend several minutes convincing Samantha and the other student who was filming this that I wasn’t really a psychic. We ended up having a long conversation about non-verbal communication. These are smart people. LTU is the fourth hardest school to get accepted to in the country, and I teach in the college of engineering. So, these students are intellectually way above average. Based on how the effect has been received not only by them but also by others, I don’t share some of the concerns expressed above. The only one I agree with is the fact that I shouldn’t have said “one card out of fifty-one possibilities” instead of “fifty-two”, since one had already been eliminated. I think I’m going to change that line slightly, by first saying “one out of fifty-two” and then correcting myself, almost as if it just occurred to me.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I appreciate the nitpicking. I think it’s incredibly important to analyze routines for logical inconsistencies, however I sometimes have been so strict about it that it has imposed unnecessary limits on the flow of a presentation. I think in this case, the performer’s affect is what allows some of the things voiced as objections here to be taken at face value and dissolve into being psychologically invisible to the audience by the time we’re done. I’d be willing to bet that Samantha only remembers the parts of the routine during which “active” attributes of the effect were taking place, and also that the conditions seemed fair.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Adrien L. wrote:
Might be obvious for a magician... But it's IMPOSSIBLE for laymen. Love this!

The one thing I would point out is that I would try to make the whole process of asking the questions start small and get better... By that I mean something like: first ask the question and have her answer out loud. You then tell her that she lied or told the truth and eliminate the corresponding cards. Now, you take it up a notch and have her answer the truth, but only in her mind... tell her "you said picture cards, didn't you?"... then take it up another notch and have her either lie or tell the truth in her mind. Something like that... what to you think?

Anyway, nice effect! Smile


I think that is a fine idea, and definitely worth trying.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Adrien L. wrote:
Might be obvious for a magician... But it's IMPOSSIBLE for laymen. Love this!

The one thing I would point out is that I would try to make the whole process of asking the questions start small and get better... By that I mean something like: first ask the question and have her answer out loud. You then tell her that she lied or told the truth and eliminate the corresponding cards. Now, you take it up a notch and have her answer the truth, but only in her mind... tell her "you said picture cards, didn't you?"... then take it up another notch and have her either lie or tell the truth in her mind. Something like that... what to you think?

Anyway, nice effect! Smile


I think that is a fine idea, and definitely worth trying.


Or you can do the opposite, ask them to think of the color of their card... 'red'... ok, let's drop the black ones... 'face or number?'.... 'I see... number... let's discard the faces'...
I just think that asking them to think one answer, truth or lie, and then having to ask what they thought in order to tell if they lied or not seemed confusing.

Also, not sure if you want to mention this in the 'afterthoughts' but to me, effects like this are great because the set of cards discarded can be anything you want, so they can be the first ten cards of a stack and you can jump into something after that uses that fact. Unless you let them pick 10 card as someone else suggested, if you do it, choose wisely what cards you include in that set that you will discard, that may help in your follow up effect. A simple example, is to discard 12 cards, and remember the bottom one, you are then set for Bannon's AK47 right away (if you choose to follow up with that)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ben Blau Performs “D.E.N.I.M.” (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL