The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ben Blau Performs “D.E.N.I.M.” (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Will you publish this somewhere ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
I have other ways to the card selection that fits me better. That being said, this is the best presentation of a single card location that I've ever seem ever! I already told Ben that. You have interaction, a fail-safe approach and you can involve more people to it, even allowing them to make guesses. In my case, I prefer a truth/lie from voice cues not telepathy.

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, IAIN wrote:
If you can apparently hear an answer someone is only mentally projecting, then they don't need to go through the long physical processes at the start, right?

I counter that mentioning the process to ENSURE that the selection is random, as statistically some people are inclined to think about certain cards (and even lay people might be aware of that). It's our job to use presentation in our favor, as with presentation alone you can: make sense of everything done/said, hide method, increase congruence for your character, etc.

Again, to me this is an absolutely awesome approach.

Cheers
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
To be honest, I believe the presentation is still way too much about the fairness of the procedure, and the script could be shortened a lot.
It is a very dry style of presentation which is hardly more than an intellectual puzzle...
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Alexxander wrote:
To be honest, I believe the presentation is still way too much about the fairness of the procedure, and the script could be shortened a lot.
It is a very dry style of presentation which is hardly more than an intellectual puzzle...

Agreed, but it's personal preference. That's why I said I would use other ways to have the card selected, even in a hands off way. The presentation I was referring to was the revelation, which to me is absolutely brilliant!
Millard Longman

Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Max Hazy wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Alexxander wrote:

Agreed, but it's personal preference. That's why I said I would use other ways to have the card selected, even in a hands off way. The presentation I was referring to was the revelation, which to me is absolutely brilliant!

If you watch the second video, I think you’ll find that it now appears very hands-off. Much more so than before.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
If you watch the second video, I think you’ll find that it now appears very hands-off. Much more so than before.

I don't think you got what I meant Ben. The second video in this topic was the very first one I've seem in facebook. What I meant is that I prefer to be more direct in the selection, with less procedure, even if I do it hands-off. That's because it leaves less space for people to wonder "why I have to do this and not this". So I prefer to change the selection procedure in favor of more direct approaches. Even if I go for a hands-off approach I prefer to be more direct in the selection. What I love about it is the presentation of the revelation, which as I said is brilliant!
Millard Longman

Jan Forster

Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1614 Posts

Profile of Claudio
There’s always a tendency to nit-pick about someone else’s presentation. For instance I query the use of two different kinds of shuffles (tabled and in-the-hands) after the demo. A couple of riffle shuffles should do it as there’s no heat on the deck and it would shorten the sequence.

But this is not essential and I agree with some here that Ben’s presentation angle is what has to be commended here.

Meanwhile, I thought about different ways to reveal the selection, that would suit me, and lately I’ve tried one which was well received.

In a nutshell:
Once the selection has been buried and lost in the deck, pick up the deck and spread it face up and take the opportunity to note the selection. Then, turn your back to the spectator and ask them to get a bunch of 12 cards or so but to make sure that their card is among the bunch. They may then gather the deck face down.

Ask them to hold their packet as if they were playing cards, hiding the cards faces from you.

Face your spectator and instruct them to always tell you the truth.

Then start the series of questions/actions.

Let’s say the 4S is their selection.

Ask them to mentally tell you the colour of their card… You then tell them to remove all the red cards and table them.

Then ask them something like: “I think I got it right and your card is still in your hands, am I right?”

They should agree.

Carry on with suits, courts, odds etc.

If after the last question they hold only one card (ideal scenario), ask them to send you its value and you reveal it.

If they have say 3 or 4 cards left – for example during a performance a spectator held 2,4,6,10 Spades (I found out afterwards) – there are multiple ways to finish. I ended this way. I asked the spectator to only keep their card in their hands and table all the remaining Spades and to “send me its value”.

The one thing I like in this handling is that the performer gives the impression to never touch the cards and to never have the opportunity to locate the spectator's card.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, Claudio wrote:
There’s always a tendency to nit-pick about someone else’s presentation. For instance I query the use of two different kinds of shuffles (tabled and in-the-hands) after the demo. A couple of riffle shuffles should do it as there’s no heat on the deck and it would shorten the sequence.

But this is not essential and I agree with some here that Ben’s presentation angle is what has to be commended here.

Meanwhile, I thought about different ways to reveal the selection, that would suit me, and lately I’ve tried one which was well received.

In a nutshell:
Once the selection has been buried and lost in the deck, pick up the deck and spread it face up and take the opportunity to note the selection. Then, turn your back to the spectator and ask them to get a bunch of 12 cards or so but to make sure that their card is among the bunch. They may then gather the deck face down.

Ask them to hold their packet as if they were playing cards, hiding the cards faces from you.

Face your spectator and instruct them to always tell you the truth.

Then start the series of questions/actions.

Let’s say the 4S is their selection.

Ask them to mentally tell you the colour of their card… You then tell them to remove all the red cards and table them.

Then ask them something like: “I think I got it right and your card is still in your hands, am I right?”

They should agree.

Carry on with suits, courts, odds etc.

If after the last question they hold only one card (ideal scenario), ask them to send you its value and you reveal it.

If they have say 3 or 4 cards left – for example during a performance a spectator held 2,4,6,10 Spades (I found out afterwards) – there are multiple ways to finish. I ended this way. I asked the spectator to only keep their card in their hands and table all the remaining Spades and to “send me its value”.

The one thing I like in this handling is that the performer gives the impression to never touch the cards and to never have the opportunity to locate the spectator's card.

One should always bring one’s own sensibilities to the performance of any trick. What feels natural for one person may not for another. Any time I’ve seen a trick that I would want to perform, I can’t help but think of what I’d do differently. This happened to me recently. I watched a promo video for Paul Gordon’s “Near Perfect Gemini”. It instantly gave me an idea for a presentation that is nothing like his at all.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1614 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
One should always bring one’s own sensibilities to the performance of any trick. What feels natural for one person may not for another. Any time I’ve seen a trick that I would want to perform, I can’t help but think of what I’d do differently. This happened to me recently. I watched a promo video for Paul Gordon’s “Near Perfect Gemini”. It instantly gave me an idea for a presentation that is nothing like his at all.

You won't get an argument from me on this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ben Blau Performs “D.E.N.I.M.” (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL