The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ran Gafner on Penn&Teller Fool Us (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Hi guys check out my act on Fool Us Smile
https://youtu.be/_FOoZ7l6E48
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1953 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Very nice performance, Ran! Very creative, entertaining and completely deceptive to laymen. Loved it!
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Thank you so much Stunninger!
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
LOVED it!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wonderful routine, Ran! Sad to see P&T felt the need to give such detailed Google bombs to your engaging performance.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I have just two questions;

Why did you take this on P&T?
Why did you post it here?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
When I first saw the routine, I thought it was ok, but not terribly entertaining. It seemed overly long and tedious. There were several good lines that helped break the tedium to me. It was interesting but not compelling. As for methods, I saw several possibilities and methodologies at work. Do I think it would fool an audience? Certainly. Do I think it would entertain an audience? Not necessarily. I wouldn't use the routine, as it was performed, as a closer, but more of a filler routine in the middle. I feel that's a shame as that routine could definitely be a closer with some tweaking.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Well, thank you Samuel! after doing this routine for 5 years now as a closer to every show of mine and BTW winning with it in the euro FISM, I Can certainly say that its really entertaining for my audience, the reaction is wonderful and it kills them..this is what I know people talk about the most after my show..and its very original.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Ran, I can honestly say that I am very happy for you that you get great mileage out of the routine. Perhaps it is simply that the routine doesn't mesh well with my style, who can say. When I say I saw several methodologies in it, I say I saw them, that does not say they actually exist. I'm not here trying to pick your routine apart, just saying what I thought I saw. Truthfully, I am one who sticks to the idea that method does not matter, all that matters is the audience is entertained. That entertainment need not be humor. It can be terror, bewilderment, or whatever your goal is for said routine, but it MUST entertain them to the point that they want more.

As for originality, you have that in spades. It is one of the most original routines I've come across in the mentalism or magic world. I've seen only one routine that comes even close to this one, and that is Larry Becker's Virtuosity where the performer is playing a small violin to the tune of a mentally selected piece of music. It doesn't have the layers that your routine does.

I wish you continued success in your career. Please know that my opinions are nothing more than that, and they reflect my own style of performing. What works for you may well not work for me.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4469 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It is easy to criticize; it is hard to create something original.

But rest assured, whenever you offer something original to the public, there will always be those who immediately attempt to tear it apart.

I remember seeing the FISM performance first, and I think the routine went a little more smoothly then. Alyson's choices were not ideal, but we got a chance to see your outs for those instances.

As always, I await the time when those armchair critics present their routines on P&T.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1953 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Well said Philemon.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This was AWESOME!!! Perfect for the show and your persona!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
It is easy to criticize; it is hard to create something original.

But rest assured, whenever you offer something original to the public, there will always be those who immediately attempt to tear it apart.

If you don't want honest feedback I don't see much point posting a video on here. Unless people are just looking to be told how wonderful they are -which I would say is your mother's job.

Personally I enjoyed seeing a routine with a different spin, engagingly delivered. Just a shame P&T feel the need to use such specific terminology in their feedback.

Ran looks like a mean jazz guitarist, too!
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1925 Posts

Profile of Lior
I saw the full routine that has much more then what was
shown on the PT and it is Incredible.
Incredible.
The routine is original and have many liars that
make it a very strong pice of visual mentalism.
(And aoudio as well)
I think that Ran fooled them and they didn't get
the right solution.

Lior
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Thank you Lior! it is heart warming Smile
sharonyyy
View Profile
New user
israel
57 Posts

Profile of sharonyyy
Wow!!
i saw that live several times, and yet, this act on fool us was the best performing I ever saw, and brilliant idea!!
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Thanks sharon! Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I really enjoyed this Ran.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1422 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Great performance Ran. Really liked the presentation. It was clean, precise, and you made Allyson's bad choices totally entertaining.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of david12345
I enjoyed it very much, always nice to see creativity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ran Gafner on Penn&Teller Fool Us (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL