The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ran Gafner on Penn&Teller Fool Us (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3364 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Very nice, Ran. Great to see a routine using music as a hook.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
723 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Exactly! It’s the difference between being hurtful and helpful.

Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, Samuel Catoe wrote:
When I first saw the routine, I thought it was ok, but not terribly entertaining. It seemed overly long and tedious. There were several good lines that helped break the tedium to me. It was interesting but not compelling. As for methods, I saw several possibilities and methodologies at work. Do I think it would fool an audience? Certainly. Do I think it would entertain an audience? Not necessarily. I wouldn't use the routine, as it was performed, as a closer, but more of a filler routine in the middle. I feel that's a shame as that routine could definitely be a closer with some tweaking.

While Samuel was definitely being honest with his opinion, does this really constitute honest feedback? Certainly Samuel has the right to express his opinion that he was not entertained and that he felt the routine was "overly long and tedious." It is when he states that he does not think it would entertain an audience that he crosses the line from just expressing his personal opinion into venturing into territory that he has inadequate experience in.

As we can clearly hear and see from the P&TFU audience, they WERE entertained. Ran also states that the routine consistently entertains, and he would know from direct experience. If it didn't, I doubt that he would keep performing it. The fact that it won an award at FISM demonstrates that even his peers thought it bore merit.

I also found it curious that Samuel needed to state how he would and wouldn't use the routine. Um, it's not for anyone else but Ran to perform (until such time he decides to publish it or sell it). It is HIS routine, truly original, and no one should even think of performing it. As for whether it is better suited as a "filler" or a closer is likewise a ludicrous argument. As has been expressed by countless professionals in the past, no routine should be a "filler;" every routine should be viewed as a potential closer, otherwise it should be removed from the act. If it is so weak as to be thought of as a filler, then it has no place in a full act.

There's a fine distinction between "negative criticism" and simply tearing down another person's act. Criticism does have its place, but it should always be constructive, and should come from a place of well-informed opinion. And personally, I believe that criticism should only be given when it has been asked for by the creator. Ran shared his video so that we could watch and enjoy it. It's fine to not to like his routine, but then one should just move on. Ran should only be concerned about how his audiences react, not what a bunch of amateurs think. Not many of us are of the caliber to win an award at FISM or even be invited to perform on P&TFU. Until we have, then our opinions remain merely personal, and often are not well-informed.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of philraso
Very nice routine. Like a chair test with bells. I liked it. This would fool an audience for sure. But it is not really Equ******. So I think he fooled them. I wonder what Mike and Johnny thought. Of course it was a !@#$*. Penn mentions that too many times.

I also loved the way you let her switch notes 1/5 or 2/4. Very clever. Only a musician might catch that. But not the first time.

A+. Thanks for posting. I missed that episode.
_frankiefourfingers
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of _frankiefourfingers
I believe the reason that Martin is expressing that the showcased version on Penn and Teller is not a potential closer (I probably shouldn’t speak for Martin and might be completely wrong) is simple and something not to be overlooked. In almost all cases to get a ‘standing O’ the performer must be on stage on his/her own with one extra kick as the closer to get people to their feet. If stage isn’t your thing, pick your favourite performer and just watch the last ten minutes of their act. This is one of the first things you learn when writing an act or a stage show.

If there are audience members on the stage and you close the show, the ending is left messy and doesn’t quite feel like a definitive conclusion. I think this also might be due to the audience being accustomed subconsciously to most shows ending like this and therefore it puts them into a state of confusion which can dampen the way they react at the back end.

The advice shared by Martin on purposefully creating an act that is dynamic and moves the tone/ feeling in the room is spot on and a great piece of advice for anyone wanting to build a stage act.

I like this act and like the choice of song and the fact it drives people to their feet - I’m intrigued to hear what the final kicker is once the participants leave the stage. Ran you were cool, composed and concise.

Thanks for sharing,

Frankie
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Well in most cases I hand the bells to the first row, which means Im alone on the stage at the second climax
_frankiefourfingers
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of _frankiefourfingers
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2017, mentalran wrote:
Well in most cases I hand the bells to the first row, which means Im alone on the stage at the second climax

But the props are still in the audience?

Frankie
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Yes. Its the closer but I have an encore
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
As a musician and ŕ mentalist too, I liked your routine. The little lines make the choices process interesting and not boring at all.
I agree with some here : I don’t believe P&T have grabbed everything. Just one of the tools.
There is nice things to do in this direction, I mean combining music and magic. Keep going !
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Wonderful routine
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
Great routine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ran Gafner on Penn&Teller Fool Us (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL