The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gerald's Game (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Anyone see the Netflix movie that just came out Gerald's Game? The Stephen King book it was based on was written years ago, and King himself made the comment it will probably be a movie one day. Well, now it is.

Basic premise (no spoiler really) Hubby has a heart attack and dies during a sex game, leaving his helpless wife chained to the bed.

I thought the story was great. (I love King after all)
I thought the adaptation was well done for a less than two hour movie
The acting was great, and better still believable.
After seeing the movie, the plan I have long had for how she might have escaped (remember I am an escape artist) seems less plausible.
Overall I enjoyed it.

I was left with the same question that I had after reading the book. How often does something like that happen for real? Every now and then you read about some bondage mishap in which the person restrained dies accidentally, but I've never read about the other person dying and leaving the restrained partner stuck to fend for themselves.

I do remember an audio file that was out on YouTube a while back of a panicked priest calling 911 to his church as he had handcuffed himself and was trapped.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
If you are referring to the Father Donovan case, I do not think he had handcuffed himself. Because he also had on a leather bondage mask with a metal bar in his mouth.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
If you are referring to the Father Donovan case, I do not think he had handcuffed himself. Because he also had on a leather bondage mask with a metal bar in his mouth.

The Church said events were due to a "psychological condition that manifests itself in self-bondage as a response to stress":

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog......ministry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28......109.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't know if that was Father Donovan or someone else. I didn't pay too much attention to it as I don't find such matters funny. I use handcuffs for other purposes. (to entertain my audiences)

Still I think Gerald's Game makes a fine puzzle for an escape artist to ponder. How would I have escaped if I was stuck like that. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I would not have ended the story the way she did, that is for sure.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Escape artists are funny. They fantasize about being tied up for real and have superhero ideas of being able to escape.

But to answer your question about how often this happens the answer is in a city of any notable size far more often than you think. Oddball death circumstances are just not as uncommon as we like to think. Death comes for us all and with those numbers it is hard to find unique circumstances.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Valar Morghulis
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Escape artists are funny. They fantasize about being tied up for real and have superhero ideas of being able to escape.

Don't know if that is true for ALL, but it is a point that I won't argue.

A question I get asked all the time is "If you were arrested by the police, could you get out of the handcuffs?" My answer is,

"Yes, I could, but I would not. Trying to escape from police custody is a shootable offence."
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it is those answers that people just don't take seriously.

It is always a little sad to me when magicians start to believe their own lies.

And you're right it is definitely not ALL. But then again I suppose I should qualify it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gerald's Game (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL