The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What style hat do you wear? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have a fedora hat. The style worn by Bogart in the old movies. I put a card with magic written on it in the band. This is like the old time reporters press cards. I made a gimmick that Velcros in. I was wondering what type of hat you wear, if any, when performing? I guess I always figured a magician should wear a hat. What do you think?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I generally do not wear a hat. The only time I do is for Steampunk conventions.

I do my best to distance myself from the stereotypical "magician" imagery, because that imagery is associated with a lot of negative traits. I also prefer to have my face clearly visible when folks are taking pictures or just generally seeing me. I am lucky in that I have a professional hair stylist in the family so I just make sure my hair is done nicely for gigs.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
You are blessed with a full head of hair. Mine has been pulling a vanishing act for a few years now. I do like using the hat as a prop. I guess his is a little outdated today. I would love to find a dvd with modern ideas for using the hat.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You could shave your head. Though I have found through personal experience that sometimes you realize how oddly shaped your head is when you do that.

I just remembered I used to use my slouch cap in a coin routine. It was made in such a way that I could use it to vanish a coin. The only thing I had to do was use Stitch Witch to hold the sides and back of the sweat band still.

Gazzo does the melon under hat final reveal in cups and balls.

Oh! You could make an easy switching thing I bet, if you could somehow rig a panel to fall from the hat with a slip of paper or something on it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fez hats are fun to wear. The real thing or a cheap custom model works for me. A number of magician in the old days would wear a Fez. It looks fine.

The late Ali Bongo published a few ideas, magic gags, that the Fez could be converted to. One I remember is an ending for the Chinese Sticks, pulling the tassel on the hat to cause the tassels on the sticks retract.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
The hat I wear to my shows is actually the same hat that I wear on a day to day basis. It used to be a fedora, but I fell in love with a short-crowned leather topper I found at a leather shop (In my avatar photo). I have a sort of steampunk-lite style, and the hat's become a kind of trademark for me. I don't do any tricks with it, however, and I'm often asked if I'm going to produce a rabbit from it. Alas, the rabbit comes out of a box.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I perform in a suit, so no hat except for summer picnic shows. Then I wear my Panama Hat for the sun.

No requirement for magicians to wear hats. I used to wear my Panama Hat all the time, but with a higher percentage of corporate work, it just doesn't fit the image I want to portray.

Hudson
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I perform a flea circus, and my character is "stuck" in the 1920's. I wear a straw boater hat. Fits my character, show, and my age.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'm a returning amateur and have not yet done a return performance. My photo shows me wearing a royal crown (not that I own) that I wore at a recent birthday tea party. I found out yesterday after a web search that the crown is still for sale at a reasonable price and it even has a secret pocket Smile. I'm thinking of getting one, a bit whimsical.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Pork Pie made by Poll for juggling & manipulation. I've had Poll derbies too, but I've come to prefer the style of a pork pie.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Original straw skimmer. Cooler in door venues, perfect with my 1908 image and clothes, and not something they see very often.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
59 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
Cowboy hat. Flat brimmed gambler's type
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
If you normally wear a hat, then wear one, but if you don't, then the spectators may smell insincerity. I usually wear a baseball cap flipped backward, so when I perform I wear a baseball cap flipped backwards. Wear what you feel comfortable in, because the spectators will see that you feel uncomfortable. that's just my take.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2018, Peter McMillan wrote:
Original straw skimmer. Cooler in door venues, perfect with my 1908 image and clothes, and not something they see very often.

I normally do California gold rush with a period top hat or ren faire jester with a jester hood, but I did the 2019 California State Fair and also wore a straw skimmer because it seemed very "state fair."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
As a kid, after seeing Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark, stores were selling Steson Fedoras models after Indy’s hat. Evidently they didn’t sell that well because I picked one up for $5, and still wear and use it today.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Dumbledore hat. With a couple additions: Magic and Mystery School logo, and Vulcan IDIC symbol.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=......29786953
0wen
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of 0wen
"I perform a flea circus, and my character is "stuck" in the 1920's. I wear a straw boater hat. Fits my character, show, and my age."

I'm a flea circus presenter and this heavily influenced my magic persona as well. I don't do multiple characters like some guys, so my flea circus persona is also my magician, etc. My hat of choice is a victorian 'smoking cap' (aka Dumbledore hat) of one incarnation or another.

"Dumbledore hat. With a couple additions: Magic and Mystery School logo, and Vulcan IDIC symbol."

Same - a few of these smoking caps custom tailored and I like them a lot. Whimsical look that has played well for me.

"Fez hats are fun to wear. The real thing or a cheap custom model works for me. A number of magician in the old days would wear a Fez. It looks fine.

The late Ali Bongo published a few ideas, magic gags, that the Fez could be converted to. One I remember is an ending for the Chinese Sticks, pulling the tassel on the hat to cause the tassels on the sticks retract."

Fez hats are fun for sure. I don't currently wear one, but close(ish) with the smoking cap. The tassel work with the Chinese sticks is great!
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
I think a hat is such a personal thing...one person looks great in a fez, another looks like a prune with a nipple on it's head. As for the magician look...don't you all think it has become so very cliché or tired out? I am talking about the fedora and white shirt with possibly a tweed style short waistcoat or something much LOUDER!? for the waistcoat. I can't actually recall right now.(I don't get out much).
I know one thing. You'll have to bring a gun and point it at my temples if you want me to wear a bloody fedora to any event! Even in the bedroom my wife had better have a ***ed good reas---aaahahAHAaaah scratch that. I'll wear it if she requests hehehe
But nowhere else ever! At no one else's request, ever!

So...
What is the next hat that you think ought to be the new magicians hat for 2020 or 2021 and beyond?!?

A Bowler is always a good one but it won't suit everyone. I have very little hair so I have a shaved head more formless. With a good head shape 😃
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
TreyP1T
View Profile
New user
St. George, Utah
10 Posts

Profile of TreyP1T
First off I just like hats, so I own several that I wear regularly anyway. My standard for a long time has been a wide brimmed brown fedora, but I also have a standard grey one, and often through the summer go with my panama hat. With all of these I too stick a card in the band, but I go for a Joker from a Bee deck. It's a fun look, and gets comments whether I'm performing or not.
I also have a couple Cowboy hats I wore while working at a western themed restaurant, a top hat I wear every year for a Victorian themed Christmas fair, and once for a Halloween I party wore a fez.
I like hats in a general sense, but I also agree with Jim Cellini who used to say "Hats make characters." There's a lot of fun to be had, and a lot to be said about your character in what hat you do or don't choose to wear.

Click here to view attached image.
I'm Trey, I'm a magician, a liar, and a cheat. But you can trust me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What style hat do you wear? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL