The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Re:Doug Henning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicgarney
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magicgarney
Hi! I'm new to the forums and have a very specific question regarding the late Doug Henning. I am currently a college student at Oswego State University in New York and am enrolled in a class about Zen Buddhism. We have recently been assigned a project/paper that examines a person/idea etc. related to Buddhism.

Naturally, being a magician, I immediately recalled Doug Henning's work towards Veda Land - the Buddhist based theme park. Maharishi and magician Doug Henning announced plans for a $1 billion, 450-acre theme park in Florida that would combine new magic technology and Transcendental Meditation.

The problem is there is not much information available on this topic because it has yet to be built. If anyone could help me with finding information or contacting anyone about Doug Henning and his experiences with Buddhism/Veda Land please reply (or PM me if you know some way to contact an individual that could help me)

Thanks!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Magicgarney,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Maharishi, Doug Henning's guru, was Hindu and Vedaland was to be a Hindu themed park. Though Buddhism was an outgrowth of Hinduism they are not the same.

mark
What would Wavy do?
Magicgarney
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magicgarney
Thanks Mark! I guess I was way off on that one. Not to familiar with those religions, but I thought it had something to do with Zen which is why I thought it would be a good choice. Oh well...I'll have to think of something else to research. Any other Zen and Magic related topics I could research?
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I think Jay Sankey has written on presentation and claimed it has had ties to Zen, but I am not sure one way or the other how authentic the Zen part is. I think he wrote a book about Zen and monologue presentation. Perhaps he has a web site you could check out. Also, I am pretty sure Eugene Burger has written about Zen and magic. You may want to check to see if he has a web site.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Eugene's site: http://www.magicbeard.com

Also check out his book, "The Experience of Magic." There's some stuff in there that might be of use to you.

Mark

I'm not sure if he put much more out. I believe he died in a traffic accident a few years back though.

If you start a new topic with his name as the heading you'll probably get more info though.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Tom Rudan
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, England
7 Posts

Profile of Tom Rudan
Thanks for your help Mark. I will do
that.
Tom Rudan
professional magician
Magicgarney
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magicgarney
I've looked into the above suggestions and it seems like it will be a promising topic to research. Thanks for the help!
-Ryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Re:Doug Henning (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL