The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dynamo Revealing Tricks Now? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Hi all,

I don't know if you've seen but Dynamo has released a new book called his ' Book of secrets' in which he is revealing beginner magic tricks. I Personally found this out of character as he has never been one to reveal his tricks and he has said before in interviews that it 'ruins the magic'
I'm interested to hear opinions, is this a new step in his career or a desperate attempt to remain relevant?

Discuss...
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
What's the difference between him revealing BEGINNER tricks through a book that costs £17 and the magic sets you get at toy shops...or the countless amounts of magic you can buy online...

Sleepy
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Judging by the tsunami of material that is released every day there are very few magicians or mentalists who DON'T sell secrets to the public.
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
There is no difference.. I'm just saying, its out of character for him as he has said previously how it 'Ruins the mystery'.

You don't see David Blaine selling a beginner book.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Here's the link of what he's selling with a brief description of what tricks will be in it :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamo-Book-Sec......11435180
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Dynamo already sales a magic kit lol. He's also teaching beginner tricks Smile Not his tv magic.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
*from the description- slice a banana without even touching it,....((don't let bananachek find out! he uses that in his shows))
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
For me, a magic kit is a world of difference from a book. A Kit is directed at kids who have seen him on tv and usually has sub par tricks in it with a plastic coated deck of cards, a book is more aimed at young people / beginners in magic.
Just seems to me like he's changed his mindset. Also, the amazon page says about a trick which can give you 'super strength', if this is the trick I think it is then that would be a very big shame indeed as it is a great trick that he says his granddad taught him.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Even if this is aimed at beginners...what's the difference between this book and all the hundreds of other magic books aimed at beginners which teach the same level tricks?

Sleepy
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
These days anyone that would actually READ A BOOK to learn a magic trick, probably has a genuine vested interest in magic. I'm ok with that person learning a few tricks.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, RyanWhiteside wrote:
For me, a magic kit is a world of difference from a book. A Kit is directed at kids who have seen him on tv and usually has sub par tricks in it with a plastic coated deck of cards, a book is more aimed at young people / beginners in magic.
Just seems to me like he's changed his mindset. Also, the amazon page says about a trick which can give you 'super strength', if this is the trick I think it is then that would be a very big shame indeed as it is a great trick that he says his granddad taught him.

his magic kit actually had good stuff in it :p wow gimmick self tying shoelace etc.. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Though there are a ton of beginners magic books. So I don't really see what the big deal is. How do you think people get into magic? That's also why his magic kit had good stuff. So many kids buy the cheap ones and it's just a load of crap. Seems he actually cares about encouraging more kids to get into magic Smile which is a good thing.
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
The including of the WOW gimmick in his set was a bad decision as it ruined the trick for many professionals.

By the way, I am in no way saying that the book is a bad thing, I'm saying it is weird for someone like Dynamo to bring it out.

Its like David Blaine bringing out a book and revealing the hand sandwich trick, he just wouldn't do it.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, RyanWhiteside wrote:
The including of the WOW gimmick in his set was a bad decision as it ruined the trick for many professionals.

By the way, I am in no way saying that the book is a bad thing, I'm saying it is weird for someone like Dynamo to bring it out.

Its like David Blaine bringing out a book and revealing the hand sandwich trick, he just wouldn't do it.

There are tons of other color changes.

he put out that kit years ago lol so he's been putting stuff out. I don't think it's weird at all, it's called money Smile

and david blaine has taught tricks- https://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Strang......0Z54KKZS https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Blaine-Tr......d+blaine I think there may have been a few other things, not sure. But yes ad copy of his book says he teaches some things in it Smile
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Yes there are other color changes, but how many of them can be done when the card is isolated in a see through sleeve with the magician barely touching it & in plain view?
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
“Magicians guard an empty safe.” - Jim Steinmeyer
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I tend to agree with Scott0819 on this.

I don't like exposure as I make my living performing but if peopl eread books, they do have an interest.

when I was young I read magic books from libiary & bought every book I could on magic.

Dynamos will sell because he is a television brand name.

Mike Donoghue
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Hope you liked tyhe typos folks ha
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, JonathanW wrote:
Seems he actually cares about encouraging more kids to get into magic Smile which is a good thing.

What's important is to get serious kids into magic. Like someone else said, it's very likely that someone who reads books is more serious about magic than someone who doesn't. I'm not enthusiastic to see magic becoming more common stuff than it was before, that is, becoming less selective.

I hope the book will teach the fundamentals, e.g., about misdirection, off-beat moments, how to be natural, etc. And not just some tricks, but also the psychology behind each presentation/performance. Otherwise, I'm afraid about kids revealing secrets due to bad performances. Not good.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
I remember seeing dynamo lecture at the International magic convention in London years ago. He had had some moderate success but he isn't as big as he is now. He even entered the close up competition and came third.

how times have changed.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
While this is technically "revealing" in that secrets are being taught - it's not "revealing" in the way we in the magic world use that word.

If he's putting out a decent quality beginner's magic book, that actually increases my respect for him, personally. I've always thought of him as a low rent David Blaine copy but if he actually encourages people to read to learn some magic, that's cool.

Also - because it's been mentioned, David Blaine did briefly have a website where he put up videos teaching tricks. It didn't last long and I don't remember what it taught, but it was there.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dynamo Revealing Tricks Now? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL