The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can we talk serious please? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Let's talk serious when it comes to gun control. Let's put those ridiculous debate lines a side just for a moment. A piece of paper is not going to stop someone from killing people. A lot of gun owners do mention the 2nd amendment. There are also gun owners who don't think about the 2nd amendment, they think personal only. Let's stop blaming the 2nd amendment and firearms. It is time to talk serious.

The mideast thought of the solution before we did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usXLRkynx14 Imaging an individual murdering a victim with a gun. I seen on the news suspects who have served their time in prison and killed someone again when released. Tell me how writing on a sheet of paper can stop that and I will PayPal you $1,000. Nothing will be able to stop that individual from killing another person with a weapon unless his fingers/hands are cut off. If that was the law it will help deter others from causing a horrific crime.

Let us go back to the old day in Egypt. Remember the word "torture" I did not say "kill." Let us not forget about the Chinese water torture. I bet some type of torture as punishment is going to save many individuals lives. Are you looking forward to help prevent more murder crimes from happening? I do not want to hear any debates lines like have an officer follow the released criminal everyday for the rest of their life.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying apply any of those punishments for a light crime or if there was not enough proof the suspect did it. I am talking about when someone witnessed an individual cause a serious felony.

Now that is only half of the solution. Let us get to the second half. I know many of us are looking at how going to prison can destroy our lives. We will have a lot to lose. But a lot of individuals have nothing to lose while being in prison. They will look at prison as a free shelter. Don't let prisoners have fun while serving time. Give etiquette and education classes. No saggy pants, no cursing, no gangs, etc. Those prisoners will learn a lot of what they need before they are let out.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Great, now there are five threads on this.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That’s all? It should be more dealing with how many lives Stephen Paddock took.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
In this century of change, the establishment has been building up internal forces, which are really just the same as occupational forces, in order to take care of the major armed conflict with the general public, which they predict is coming. I myself will take up arms and shall shortly have a famous victory over the enemies of my people. In preparation for the battle, I have stockpiled Gerber knife, a catapult and a lot of ball bearings. I would have acquired a gun and bullets if only it was not against the law here. What are you doing Mike?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So you're pointing to the Middle East, an area with horrific wars and death in the last decades in Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Libya and more, as a model of how to stop violence? Good one, Mike. Perhaps also Charlie Manson can give a TED Talk on how to live a more saintly life.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So your plan is to torture individuals for committing murder?

What if one is wrongfully convicted? Tough to take back torture.

This also will not stop those who commit crimes such as in Vegas because they plan on being dead when they are done usually. So torture seems as if it is a pointless deterrent. Presumably the idea is they are afraid of torture so they won't commit murder.

Don't you see moral implications of torture? I mean shouldn't we just be better than that as a society?

And if the death penalty does not scare people into not doing these things how is a less final punishment going to help?

And don't you think they already have a no gangs rule in prison? Plus they can't keep guys from getting shanked, how exactly do you propose to keep them from cursing? They have rehabilitation courses already. You can't force people to change.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tough to take back torture.

Here's your hand back. Catch!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm sitting in I-Hop giggling like a fool. Thank you very much.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2017, Dynamike wrote:... Give etiquette and education classes. No saggy pants, no cursing, no gangs, etc. Those prisoners will learn a lot of what they need before they are let out.

I applaud your moral presupposition that after someone "did their time" they would be treated as rehabilitated and well worth the effort to employ/house/...

Which brings us to the distinction between the world as it is and what we might like to believe.

But torture does seem to attract those who have issues about violence and psychological transgression.

As a helpful reminder: 'How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?' From here: http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/18.html

The Narrative Continues

Let the punishment fit the crime... was a cute idea here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muj3KMkw2JM
Quote:
My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time—
To let the punishment fit the crime,
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment,
Of innocent merriment!

All prosy dull society sinners,
Who chatter and bleat and bore,
Are sent to hear sermons
From mystical Germans
Who preach from ten to four.
The amateur tenor, whose vocal villainies
All desire to shirk,
Shall, during off-hours,
Exhibit his powers
To Madame Tussaud’s waxwork.
The lady who dyes a chemical yellow,
Or stains her grey hair puce,
Or pinches her figger,
Is blacked like a *****
With permanent walnut juice.
The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
In Parliamentary trains.

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time—
To let the punishment fit the crime,
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

The advertising quack who wearies
With tales of countless cures,
His teeth, I’ve enacted,
Shall all be extracted
By terrified amateurs.
The music-hall singer attends a series
Of masses and fugues and ‘ops’
By Bach, interwoven
With Spohr and Beethoven,
At classical Monday Pops.
The billiard-sharp whom anyone catches
His doom’s extremely hard—
He’s made to dwell
In a dungeon cell
On a spot that’s always barred.
And there he plays extravagant matches
In fitless finger-stalls,
On a cloth untrue
With a twisted cue
And elliptical billiard balls.

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time—
To let the punishment fit the crime—
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 6, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
...Let us not forget about the Chinese water torture. I bet some type of torture as punishment is going to save many individuals lives. ...

1) That first statement is racist.

2) Your willingness to gamble with the lives of others is showing.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Didn't we beat torture to death this past spring?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That was Mother Nature beating many of us to death with a torture of heat wave.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
...Let us not forget about the Chinese water torture. I bet some type of torture as punishment is going to save many individuals lives. ...

Well isn’t “Chinese Linking Rings,” “Chinese Coins,” “Chinese Sticks,” “Mexican Peso,” “Washington Redskins” and “Aunt Jemima Syrup” racist too?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Well isn’t “Chinese Linking Rings,” “Chinese Coins,” “Chinese Sticks,” “Mexican Peso,” “Washington Redskins” and “Aunt Jemima Syrup” racist too?

Yes, no, Yes, no, yes (IMHO), and yes (IMHO). As for China, ask someone from over there about the items. The ancient Chinese coins were money. The Peso says "Mexico" on it. Wait till you find out about the lotta bowl. Smile

There was some fuss about the Redskins keeping their team name. I'm waiting for teams named after their official "growth enhancing medication" product sponsors.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Let's talk seriously when it comes to racism and control of foreigners with weapons of mass destruction.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Why didn’t I think of that?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

Danny can probably answer that.

And likely will.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

And likely will.

Yes.

And no.

I had a college professor who when a tangential question arose he would often respond with "That answer would take up too much time and is well beyond the scope of this course".

If we apply that logic we have arrived at my reasoning.

Tangentially that drove my habit of looking things up on my own
(Did I spell all those words correctly?)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Yes, no, Yes, no, yes (IMHO), and yes (IMHO)."

Jon, what is the provenance of the Linking Rings?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

And likely will.

Oscar Wilde: I wish I had said that.
James Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can we talk serious please? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL