The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Breather Jig (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2017, AMcD wrote:

@Cag aka the courteous counter

Because you like scantily clad women (although most guys do), I could come up with Amorous Arnold, but perhaps we should not pursue this line of mock fancy monikers.

Hmmm...Amorous Arnold. Not bad.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I have many monikers, all given by other people, I didn't chose myself. A few of them: Ranting Arnie, Grumpy Arnie (given by people who know me well), Fast Arnold, Speedy Arnold, Bamboozling Arnie, etc. I like my Spanish one though, given by one of my students, Don Arnold. I have even one very prestigious, given by your friend Doc, The European Forte. Maybe I should advert myself with it.
MarcoLostSomething
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of MarcoLostSomething
You forgot Uncle Arnie!
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Haha, yes Marco, a very famous one!! It's quite some time, though, that somebody has used it, but for sure I've been called Uncle Arnie a lot in the past.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I haven't enjoyed a thread as much as this one in a long time.
Eoin OHare
View Profile
New user
Ireland
88 Posts

Profile of Eoin OHare
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:
Can someone explain to me how a Mexican Joe crimp, or a breather crimp of the entire deck can be used at the gaming tables? I'm talking about the entire deck now, not individual cards in the deck.

I can see it being used for the entire deck as a one way deck or in lieu of using wedge strippers for magic tricks, but how is an entire deck crimp used as a gambling ploy?

I don't believe it can, the only thing I can think of is, betting on the cut.

I'd just like to make it clear that I haven't made or marketed the Breather Jig as anything other than a device for magicians. Why a gambler would want to use a one way deck I just don't get. I'm regretting mentioning Vernon's Mexican Joe fecking crimp(1960). Maybe I should have mentioned Victor Farelli's "Double Crimp" (1933) -the same result as the Mexican Joe crimp but without the card cheat.

The difference in the two is the method of creating the deck. Farelli gaffed the deck by riffling up one corner of the deck and riffling the opposite corner, down, so you're gaffing an entire deck all at once. One problem with this is that the full deck crimp work is lost pretty quickly after shuffling for a while. Vernon's method bent each card individually which is easier to do than wrestling with an entire deck, but whichever method used you still have the problem of the deck looking waved. Too little work and it won't work well, too heavy the work and the deck looks a wavy mess. Vernon's method also requires you to bend each card to a consistent degree which is easier to say than do.

My jig creates a mechanical, internal, offset, consistent crimp, there's no wavy edge, the work is essentially embossed on the card because of the two steel plates that sandwich it. You also can control whether it's heavy or light work. And the crimp has excellent longevity. Oh, and you really can make it pretty much invisible.

It makes a good magic trick deck.
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer & Pinpoint Pegger
https://theperfectshuffle.com/
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Eion, I'll take the blame on this. I posted believing this item would be of interest to some participants of the gambling spot.
Martin Nash, Vernon, Jason England and several other cardicans with a gambling bent have all cover crimps. That's why I posted here.

There are two major groups here. Magicians that like gambling presentations, and "The Pro's"
The Professional get upset if you mention or present anything other then the real deal.
They seem to forget that this is primarily a magician forum, so you are going to see post with a magical theme from time to time, that have a gambling slant.

I should have posted in the card section.
Sorry.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It will be the same issue wherever you post it, which is, do you really need a device like this when one can do it by hand just as well?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
For me, the answer yes I need this device to make consistent crimps for an entire deck that are precise.
Others may say no, but that have the option of knowing this exist.

If someone else knew about breather jig and I didn't, I would want them to post it here on this forum. I look at the gambling spot daily (almost more then my email accounts).
That is why I share this information.

Additionally, I like input from others here as to why they believe this device is not for them. The more details, the better.
So long as I learn something.

I still believe this could of value to a Magician for a gambling routine.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We gamblers have been known to use machines to crimp cards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hustlers-Gambli......30449516
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I may be stupid, but what is the point to have an entire deck crimped? I'm not sure I understand...
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
AMCD you're not stupid. Perhaps a purist who is only interested in skill and view this as gimmick or crutch (obviously it is a gimmick). So it has no appeal or interest.
This is a variant of a stripper deck. Same principle, different method.

I see applications for Scarnes Ace and Topsy Turvey Aces Marlo/Wimhurst routines.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2017, Jerry wrote:

I see applications for Scarnes Ace and Topsy Turvey Aces Marlo/Wimhurst routines.

Yes, as I have said before, I can see applications for gambling demonstrations using magician based methods on this BB. Cutting to the Aces, Scarne Aces and other routines I am not aware of would no doubt fit the bill.

As long as they appear to demonstrate how gamblers win and are obviously not magic tricks, that should be okay IMO.

Most on this BB are magician, hobbyist or demonstrator based so there are varied interests here.

Generally speaking I think magician based demonstrations are more entertaining for the majority of people than pure demos, unless the pure demos are for instructional or teaching purposes.

There are many notable card table adepts like Forte, Ortiz, England, and others that do magician based card table demonstrations even though they can also skillfully do pure "real" moves.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Why do we need this tool?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The machine in question might be useful for creating marks invisible to the untrained eye, delicate consistent marks, which are not easy to put in by hand. The play is described in the book referenced above.

Tommy
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
116 Posts

Profile of clars
This jig is very well built. And I am sold on the gaff/help it makes. With out speaking out of turn. It is really good it what it is intended for. I use it for a single card gaff, best breather and most successful style I have ever used.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
You know ... I'll have to eat my words on past comments about Eoin's products.

I made some comments earlier in this thread about Eoin's breather jig, and noted in some other threads the same general distain for his punch ... products that I stated at the time they basically duplicated the work you could put in with your fingers, or something far simpler and less expensive than what Eoin was offering.

Well ... those words are now eaten, as I've realized a use for Eoin's punch (which I'll be ordering shortly) that, despite owning two different varieties of Jim Risers beautiful punches, I don't actually have the tool needed to do the job I need doing ... whereas Eoin's punch will indeed do the job I require doing.

Sorry Eoin!, I didn't look far enough down the road to see a situation where your punch (and I'm sure your Breather Jig) would serve my needs when no other product would.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
We are all waiting for the "punch" line...
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Non-standard use of the punch.
Use of the punch as a crimp, and use of the punch in Shakeouts to reduce friction.

Both require dead accurate and repeatable placement on a series of cards.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Hmmm, interesting thoughts.
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Breather Jig (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL